[comp.sys.amiga] Paragon BBS Info

AllanWS@cup.portal.com (Allan BA Schlaugat) (12/04/89)

 A friend of mine will be upgrading his present BBS program for
his Amiga 1000. He currently has BBS-PC! and is seriously
cconsidering a BBS program called Paragon.
If anyone has heard about this program, please post a synopsis
of what is does; how does it differ from other BBS programs;
how does it work for you; pluses; minuses...
.. in otherwords I am looking for all information about this
BBS program! It seems to be a good BBS program from the
propaganda the makers of the program sent us.. but I am looking
for a unbiased opinion.
Please E-mail if possible.. I will post replies if anyone is
interested..
 Thanks!!!

Allan Schlaugat  / UUCP: allanws@cup.portal.com  / Ham Radio: N9ISN
"Toto... we're not in PackerLand anymore!"  (The Pack is Back)

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (12/05/89)

In article <24697@cup.portal.com> AllanWS@cup.portal.com (Allan BA Schlaugat) writes:

> A friend of mine will be upgrading his present BBS program for
>his Amiga 1000. He currently has BBS-PC! and is seriously
>considering a BBS program called Paragon.

I know the author, since he lives relatively near to me, and he demos at
computer shows I organize/run.  He is a bit caustic and annoying, but the
price is right, and the system is well designed.  It IS a bit difficult to
set up, but the results are worth it.  Upgrades are priced fairly, and I
believe Paragon is priced at $129.  It is compatible with FidoNet, and there ARE
some Paragon systems out there on FidoNet.  There is support for different
graphics modes (ANSI, and plain text).

POSITIVE POINTS:  Upgrade pricing, FidoNet support, Doors (GAMES) support,
                  pricing is average, good file area/message area interface,
                  support board is running (Inner Circle BBS), no huge
                  beurocratic compny to deal with, easy to maintain, uses
                  times script (maintenance file).
NEGATIVE POINTS:  Latest version crashes a bit, no support for SkyPix,
	          setup difficult, games difficult to write, scripts/surveys
                  hard/near impossible to write, credit cards not accepted
                  by author, support board rarely available, can't be set up
                  on floppy-based system without difficulty.

Basically, if you want FidoNet support, and an easy to maintain system with
well-priced updates, buy Paragon.  If you want graphics, AREXX, easy to write
games (AREXX) and future networking support, buy SkyLine V1.2 from CVI
Teleproductions (formerly Atredes, used to be marketed by Incognito).
If you want BBS-PC, use it (you know the relative good/bad points of that.)

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #3: Length.  Unit: The Cow (C):               |
| Box 2308          | 1 C = the length of an average-sized cow.              |
| 100 Institute Rd. |     = h = x/l(c)                                       |
| Worcester, MA +---+--------------------------------------------------------+
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------+
| l(c) = Universal Length Constant (length of the average cow, in feet).     |

tacs4700@rocky.oswego.edu (Michael LeBlanc II) (12/06/89)

   A board in my area runs a Paragon. The number is 315-598-8106. It is a pay system, but there is regular access w/o pay, but it's limited. I suggest you call there and once validated, try it out. The support BBS in in Illinois (I think???), but I don't have ther number for it.

Using this account by Permission...

        __
       /// The Amiga Annals                    xacs2122@cloy.oswego.edu
      ///    315-343-2695                      tacs4700@rocky.oswego.edu
 __  ///    12am - 6am EST
 \\\///       300 / 1200    ---> "Best Board in the East - and NEVER
  \\X/ SysOp: Shawn Keklly        BUSY!!! (Probably 'cause of Call Waiting)"