[comp.sys.amiga] Word Processor recommendations for HP LaserJet wanted.

jkb@ms.uky.edu (Keith Burton) (11/25/89)

I recently picked up an HP LaserJet IIP, and am now looking around for
a word processor that takes advantage of its abilities.  The specific
things I'm looking for are:

Must handle IFF files, as well as text.

Must be able to print using the printer fonts, rather than only in
graphics mode.

Must be able to use MULTIPLE printer fonts, including downloaded soft
fonts.  It would be nice if it was a WYSIWYG type that displayed a
reasonably close Amiga font on the screen matching the selected
printer font.

That last item is the killer.  I would be willing to live without the
WYSIWYG if I could just get the function!  Anybody have any suggestions?
I haven't seen the current release of WordPerfect...How close does it
come?

Thanks!
Keith Burton

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) (11/29/89)

In article <13326@s.ms.uky.edu>, jkb@ms.uky.edu (Keith Burton) says:

>I recently picked up an HP LaserJet IIP, and am now looking around for
>a word processor that takes advantage of its abilities.  The specific
>things I'm looking for are:
>
>Must be able to use MULTIPLE printer fonts, including downloaded soft
>fonts...
>
>That last item is the killer.

Can someone explain WHY that last item is a killer?  I mean, I'm as much
an Amiga fan as anyone, but you must admit that any Mac word-processor can
_easily_ use multiple printer fonts in the same document; even mix and match
postscript and matrix fonts.  Why is it that the more capable Amiga is so
UNCAPABLE of doing this?  Is it me, or are we all victims of sofware
companies not writing decent products???

                                                              Kurt

miller@intvax.UUCP (Dave Miller) (12/01/89)

In article <89333.023644JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET>, JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
> In article <13326@s.ms.uky.edu>, jkb@ms.uky.edu (Keith Burton) says:
> >
> >I recently picked up an HP LaserJet IIP, and am now looking around for
> >a word processor that takes advantage of its abilities.  The specific
> >things I'm looking for are:
> >
> >Must be able to use MULTIPLE printer fonts, including downloaded soft
> >fonts...
> >
> >That last item is the killer.
>
> Can someone explain WHY that last item is a killer?  I mean, I'm as much
> an Amiga fan as anyone, but you must admit that any Mac word-processor can
> _easily_ use multiple printer fonts in the same document; even mix and match
> postscript and matrix fonts.  Why is it that the more capable Amiga is so
> UNCAPABLE of doing this?  Is it me, or are we all victims of sofware
> companies not writing decent products???
>
>                                                               Kurt

I don't think it is.  I've been using a LaserJet with my Amiga for about
2 years now, and have produced technical papers, pictures, and even a
dissertation with many different fonts, including mathematical and Greek
symbols.  I use Scribble! for basic text input, JetSet to download soft fonts,
and CityDesk 2.0 to lay out the page.  Granted, this is not a single
package, but with a multitasking system and windows, it's easy to use all
three simultaneously if you have enough memory and a hard disk (which you
should if you have a LaserJet!).  The only sticky problem is obtaining
soft fonts on Amiga-formatted disks.  Companies like C Ltd. sell some
soft font packages.  For my Math fonts, I purchased IBM versions and used
the bridgeboard to port them over to the Amiga (if you just have a 5 1/4"
floppy drive but no bridgeboard, you can use PCUtil to copy them over).

Also, the new version of ProPage (1.3) supports CompuGraphic outline fonts
which also work nicely on the LaserJet.  WordPerfect also probably has
a driver for the LaserJet, but no graphics support.

Finally, if you have all the time in the world to print, you can use
PrintScript to output PostScript on the LaserJet (8-15 minutes/page).

                                                    Dave Miller
                                                    Sandia National Labs
                                                    Albuquerque, NM

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (12/03/89)

I'll throw my two cents in for PageStream.  It isn't a wordprocessor
but once you type in your text (you *can* do it in PageStream but I
wouldn't recommend it) it does a great job of printing it!  The output
looks pretty good (even better through PixelScript -- which isn't too
slow) but the new version due out soon (v. 1.8) is supposed to look
even better.

I too have JetSet, softfonts and City Desk but I don't like having to
deal with the fonts.  It's much eaiser with PageStream.  Nice thing
about it is it only cost ~$130.

---
   Al Harrington
      ARPA: alh@hprmo.HP.COM
      UUCP: ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh

      ** My comments do not reflect the views of my employer **

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (12/04/89)

      First of all, most of the workprocessors I have seen don't support
HP LaserJet II's to the extent of support for all the possible cartriges.
Secondly, there are no HP LJ II  downloadable fonts available for the Amiga,
yet.

It seems however that the Postscript support is much better.  People who have
an Amiga and the $$$ for a laser printer might consider Postscript printers
first.  Also, you can get kits to upgrade HP series II printers to postscript.

|Dennis Gorrie                 'Sudden de-compression Sucks!'           |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                                            |

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (12/05/89)

In article <89333.023644JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET>, JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
> In article <13326@s.ms.uky.edu>, jkb@ms.uky.edu (Keith Burton) says:
> >
> >I recently picked up an HP LaserJet IIP, and am now looking around for
> >a word processor that takes advantage of its abilities.  The specific
> >things I'm looking for are:
> >Must be able to use MULTIPLE printer fonts, including downloaded soft
> >fonts...
> >That last item is the killer.
>
> Can someone explain WHY that last item is a killer?  I mean, I'm as much
> an Amiga fan as anyone, but you must admit that any Mac word-processor can
> _easily_ use multiple printer fonts in the same document; even mix and match

I've never had any trouble with this...

I use textcraft +, I've also used emacs (I know, it's a text editor), and
Talker, and Scribble (a very old copy).  Textcraft + is the easiest and
gives the most acceptable results though.  To use it, all you need to do is
download your soft-fonts with the correct font number assignments and use
a special driver which can be gotten from C-Ltd (now out of business, I believe)
or MicoSearch (I think...).

Call MicroSearch for more info If you are interested, I use their CityDesk
program and switch between it and Textcraft+ all the time...

ARS.
--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (12/05/89)

In article <8912040555.AA21428@jade.berkeley.edu>, GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>       First of all, most of the workprocessors I have seen don't support
> HP LaserJet II's to the extent of support for all the possible cartriges.
> Secondly, there are no HP LJ II  downloadable fonts available for the Amiga,
> yet.
On the Amiga it's very easy to work with exotic LJ fonts as long as you're
not forced to go through "PRT:".  It does require reading the LaserJet manual,
and sending your files through "PAR:".  Any "soft" font that can be downloaded
from a PC (as long as it is not specific to some particular piece of PC soft-
ware) can be moved to an Amiga using one of the disk format conversion programs
(like CrossDos or Dos-2-Dos) and then downloaded to a LaserJet (for example,
using "type foofont.jet to par:".  If you're using a decently user-configurable
editor (like "dme" or many other examples), you can "wire in" to "hot keys" or
"macros" the various escape sequences for the LJ needed to conduct your
favorite font maneuvers.  If you're using cartridge fonts, that is really all
you need to do.

(The "etale" screen font (Fish Disk 254) is a screen font designed to match
most of the mathematical characters on the "mathfonts" cartridge.  If you want
more info about interfacing the "etale" screen font with that cartridge, send
me email.)
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/05/89)

Sorry to have to do this, but Amiga has no WP that easily, and effectively
supports multiple fonts on an HP Laser or DeskJet.

However, Microsoft WORD on the bridgeboard or Amax will work wonderfully.
WORD supports all the cartridges and available softfonts.  With WORD, you
can easily designate margins, etc. in either Inches, CM, Picas, or points
and the computer will do the work figuring out the spacing (unlike Word Perfect
where you must hand figure all the cpi X space over and over and still have fits
getting it right, if at all).  Word also allows multiple fonts that can be
picked by NAME, not "printer number x."  I would highly recommend it for
text intensive docs that will use the PRINTER'S fonts.

Joel Swan

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (12/05/89)

In article <2291@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:
> Sorry to have to do this, but Amiga has no WP that easily, and effectively
> supports multiple fonts on an HP Laser or DeskJet.

True; AmigaTeX is much more than a word processor.  For either the HP LaserJet
Plus or the DeskJet, you can easily mix fonts of almost any size.  And best
of all, you don't even have to buy softfonts or cartridges; they are supplied.
And yes, it's easy, fast, and effective.  (Although TeX itself has a nice
steep learning curve.)  And, of course, full integrated graphics support as
well.

I even believe that Professional Page, City Desk, and PageStream (at least)
can easily mix and match fonts on the printers you mention . . . but I've
never tried.

Stay native for these, folks.

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (12/06/89)

In article <12927@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>True; AmigaTeX is much more than a word processor.  For either the HP LaserJet

Does anyone know if there are AmigaTeX drivers for the HP Paintjet?
Hopefully, I'll be buying both soon, so...

| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #4: Mass.  Unit: The CowMass (CM):            |
| Box 2308          | 1 CM = the mass of the average cow.                    |
| 100 Institute Rd. |      = M = m/m(c)                                      |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
| m(c) = Universal Mass Constant (mass of average cow, in pounds);           |
| m = mass, in pounds; M = mass, in CM's.                                    |