[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000 KickStart problem

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (11/25/89)

Apparently my 2 year old has abused my 1000's internal drive with a
screwdriver, or by inserting upside down disks, too often.  Now, the machine
doesn't seem able to read the kickstart.  It recognizes it OK, because if I put
 in a non kickstart, it notices right away, but with a kickstart, it whirls
a few seconds before the KICKSTART screen reappears.

In other words, the drive is sick.  (The kickstart disks work on other
machines.)

Is there any way I can fix this myself?  To give you some idea, so far I
haven't been able to get the cover off.  I removed the five screws in the
bottom, hoping the top woul lift off, but that wasn't enough and I am
inexpert enough to wish to avoid ripping the box apart by accident.

Any advice?

There is one authorized Commodore repair place in town.  What should I
expect from them.  Will they just replace the drive, or will they try
to diagnose and fix it?

Would anyone like to recommend a service center that works by mail?

Thanks in advance.

lee

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (11/28/89)

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>Apparently my 2 year old has abused my 1000's internal drive with a
>screwdriver, or by inserting upside down disks, too often.  Now, the machine
>doesn't seem able to read the kickstart.  It recognizes it OK, because if I put
> in a non kickstart, it notices right away, but with a kickstart, it whirls
>a few seconds before the KICKSTART screen reappears.

Since your Amiga recognizes the KICKSTART disk (other symptoms as non-kick disk)
it should read the first track/ first side successfully. I would
look at the head select signal, the step signal or the step direction signal.
All these signals are driven by one of the CIA devices. Might be a defect there.
Try to exchange them, if the behaviour differs from now, then ... you've
got the defect.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv

trudel@revenge.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (11/30/89)

In article <89328.152257UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

> In other words, the drive is sick.  (The kickstart disks work on other
> machines.)

Have you tried the reverse - trying another kickstart disk in the
drive?  Perhaps the alignment on the original kickstart was off enough
that it doesn't read anymore (meaning that the drive has gone out of
alignment).

Try copying the kickstart onto another floppy and try it.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (12/01/89)

This thread started off by me is now a moot point.  The machine is
in the shop.  One of the read/write heads was on a bent arm, presumably
caused by my two-year old and his software.

Thanks for the advice and support.

                                  lee

trudel%revenge.rutgers.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)