[comp.sys.amiga] Manx C v5.0

manes@topsy.UUCP (Mark D. Manes) (11/29/89)

I called Manx today (11/28) and inquired about the update to Manx Aztec C.
Folks, I must say that I am a bit disappointed, though I have not seen the
package.  I bought Manx when I was it was version 3.4, and I liked it.  I
never got a update to v3.6a.   Anyway, the fine folks on the phone said
that v5.0 is a $75 upgrade.  Its main difference is that it is ANSI
compatible, there is no Integrated C Environment in this version.

She further said that all upgrades from this point on would be a flat
$75.  I assume that this not bug fixe upgrades.

Further, when I went into the mode, "Ok I want to order it"  I was asked
what my registration number.  I looked around my office here at work, and
I did not have it.  (I should have guessed they would have asked me this).
I asked if they had a name lookup, the answer was no.  They said that they
could take my zip code and look it up that way, but alas, I do not remember
where I lived when I bought the thing.  Funny, I did not get treated this
way by Word Perfect.

Anyway, I will call back and I guess I will get this update.  I am truly
leaning toward Lattice now, I want a integrated environment.

-mark=

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (12/05/89)

In article <271@topsy.UUCP> manes@topsy.UUCP (Mark D. Manes) writes:
>I called Manx today (11/28) and inquired about the update to Manx Aztec C.
>Folks, I must say that I am a bit disappointed, though I have not seen the
>package.  I bought Manx when I was it was version 3.4, and I liked it.  I
>never got a update to v3.6a.   Anyway, the fine folks on the phone said

>She further said that all upgrades from this point on would be a flat
>$75.  I assume that this not bug fixe upgrades.

     I can understand your being upset. Lattice mailed an update from 5.02
  to 5.04 for FREE. And I didn't even know there was one till it showed up
  in the mail. (i.e I didn't have to ask for it!)

     On top of that, I think Lattice has passed Manx in terms of features.

     I guess we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes for
     Manx to figure it out. ;-)

     Don White
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw
     - just another rider on the great compiler see-saw -

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (12/06/89)

In article <2592@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) writes:
>     I can understand your being upset. Lattice mailed an update from 5.02
>  to 5.04 for FREE. And I didn't even know there was one till it showed up
>  in the mail. (i.e I didn't have to ask for it!)
>
>     On top of that, I think Lattice has passed Manx in terms of features.

This comment is a bit nasty.  The author you were replying to was talking
about the Manx upgrade from version 3.6 to version 5.  This upgrade is
supposedly a major upgrade including new features, as opposed to the Lattice
upgrade which was a bugfix upgrade.  Was the upgrade from lattice version 3.3
(or whatever it was) to version 5 FREE? I doubt it.

On the other hand I admit you are 100% on the nose when you say that Lattice
has surpassed Manx in terms of features and support.  As a Manx owner (I'll
bet you guessed that :) I feel that if Manx V5 does not surpass Lattice V5,
I'll make the switch.

John Lindwall

ken@cbmcats.UUCP (Ken Farinsky) (12/06/89)

In article <7571@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> lindwall@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (John Lindwall) writes:
>...The author you were replying to was talking
>about the Manx upgrade from version 3.6 to version 5.  This upgrade is
>supposedly a major upgrade including new features, as opposed to the Lattice
>upgrade which was a bugfix upgrade.  Was the upgrade from lattice version 3.3
>(or whatever it was) to version 5 FREE? I doubt it.

When I upgraded to Manx 3.6 (for $75), I was told that I would receive
1 year of free updates, or at least one update.  I have the commercial version
of Manx, the big one with all of the source code to the library routines.
I have yet to get an upgrade.

I expect Manx to upgrade everyone in this situation.  FREE (no charge at all.)

Manx, are you out there?  It is my understanding that you are bound
(by contract) to make this upgrade, unless you are no longer in business...
Any response?
NOTE:  all opinions expressed in this posting are my own, as an individual.
I own Manx C, which I purchached with my own money.  Commodore is not
involved in any way.  I do not expect special treatment as a CBM employee.
Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken