[comp.sys.amiga] Help with Amiga 1080 Monitor

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee) (12/01/89)

In article <307@tcville.HAC.COM> koo@tcville.HAC.COM (Frances Koo) writes:
>I have loosened the audio jack in the back of the Amiga 1080
>monitor from pulling it out once too many times (It was a tight fit.)
>[...]
>I think that tightening the audio input jack from inside
>the monitor will solve the problem.  Does anyone know how
>difficult this will be?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>    Frances Koo (koo@tcville.hac.com)

It's the old improperly-seated-jack problem.  When the monitor was assembled,
the audio jack in the rear connector assembly wasn't fully seated when
the assembly was wave-soldered.  When you apply pressure to insert a plug,
the PC traces and not the board take the force.   Eventually the traces
separate from the board and break.

This happened to my 1080 too.  To fix it, you must resolder the jack and
bridge the broken traces.  Unfortunately, all of the wiring and the metal
housing around the assembly made the job very awkward.  If you're not
handy with a soldering iron or haven't worked  around monitors/TV sets
before (the capacitors and the CRT of the monitor can store >10,000 deadly
volts easily!), then I don't recommend you try it yourself.  Have your
dealer do it for you.

--John Lee
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

koo%tcville.hac.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

Help! Does anyone know how to open up the Amiga 1080 monitor?

I have loosened the audio jack in the back of the Amiga 1080
monitor from pulling it out once too many times (It was a tight
fit).  Now I can't get any sound from the monitor unless I
stood there and held the cable in place.