[comp.sys.amiga] SURVEY - Documentation: Binders Or No Binders

gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) (12/05/89)

This has been a burning (read religious) issue since I can remember.
I've seen it pop up more than once.

QUESTION:
For technical documentation do people prefer BINDERS (AT&T/SUN etc.
manuals) or some other method such as O-RING (Adobe Illustrator) and
GLUED (most paperback books).

We got into some heated discussion about this here and I figured I
would throw the issue up on the net and see what kind of feedback I get.

Please email your responses, thanks.

uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054
		       |  			   |	(201)334-8450

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (12/05/89)

There has been a large discussion on CompuServe dealing with future versions/
editions/rewrites of the Inside Macintosh books.  Several people from Apple
who are in control of the operation are taking part in the discussion and
asking for suggestions.  So if you have a CompuServe account, put in your
say.  I believe the discussion is in the MACDEV area ("Hot Topics").

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (12/05/89)

Gerry Lachac writes:

> QUESTION:
> For technical documentation do people prefer BINDERS (AT&T/SUN etc.
> manuals) or some other method such as O-RING (Adobe Illustrator) and
> GLUED (most paperback books).

As long as it lays flat it doesn't matter. Thus, binders, plastic comb,
wire-o and spiral are all okay. Perfect bound won't lay flat so it's
not okay.

On the other hand, I have a paper cutter (the kind that does a ream at
a time) available and a plastic comb binding machine so I can just cut
the edge off a perfect bound book, punch it, and bind it with a plastic
comb. Handy.

Jim Winer
opinions not necessarily |  "And remember, rebooting your brain
and do not represent     |   can be tricky." -- Chris Miller
any other sane person    |
especially not employer. |

coco@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (felix.a.lugo) (12/06/89)

	Binders please!!!!  8^)
	Especially if they come in boxes like the ones made by AT&T!!!

	Reasons:
		1.  Professional look
		2.  Easier to update (add/remove pages)

__________________
Felix A. Lugo
att!ihlpy!coco
coco@ihlpy.att.com

ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) (12/06/89)

In article <3178@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> coco@ihlpy.att.com writes:
>	Binders please!!!!  8^)
>	Especially if they come in boxes like the ones made by AT&T!!!

I think most people would agree that binders are preferable all things
being equal, but they aren't.  Binders are much more expensive to print
than perfect bound.  A more useful question is:  How much more would you
pay to get a binder instead of a perfect bound book?

Ry Schwark
rye@attunix.att.com

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (12/06/89)

Binders, by a large margin.  That way you can get update pages and stick
'em in the proper places.  This is the way Lattice does it with 5.0x which
is a big improvement over those stupid o-rings in previous versions.
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (12/07/89)

>I think most people would agree that binders are preferable all things
>being equal, but they aren't.  Binders are much more expensive to print
>than perfect bound.  A more useful question is:  How much more would you
>pay to get a binder instead of a perfect bound book?

Here's an idea i've been bouncing around in my mind.

If you buy a package that comes in a binder (no additional box), then
that's all you have to pay for.

With that other lay-flat binding (spiral bound?) you 'should' have a box,
and for a nice look, a colour cover page in heavier stock.

I worked this out to cost a bit more (for me anyway), than a binder.

The binders I'm looking at for a product I'm working on worked out to be
less because:  They are the program's box.

The binders I'm looking at will have a colour insert in the front (behind
a clear plastic sheet).  The inside cover will contain some registration
sheets.  The disks (2) will be kept in a plastic page (binder disk storage
thing).  These will be sealed with heavy tape or something, and the package
will have a paper seal (of the type you can not re-seal), so you'd know if
it had been opened.  The whole thing will be shrink-wrapped.

All this is cheaper than having a box, and a spiral bound manual
(our manual is around 150 pages).  I would never produce a manual that
didn't lay flat.  It just seems dumb.

               /Paul Anton Sop (Esquire?).  rsingh1@dahila.waterloo.edu/
              /Graphic Designer 4 Spaghetti Western Words and Images  /
             /100 Kinzie Ave, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2A 2J5    /
            /(519) 578-8525/742-0372 (if seriously really desparate)/