[comp.sys.amiga] World of Commodore

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom MKT) (05/28/89)

I am posting the following message for David Archambault, Director of
Marketing at Commodore Business Machines, Inc., West Chester, PA.

From:		D. Archambault
Subject:	LA World of Commodore
Organization:	CBM, West Chester

We must first thank everyone who attended the first LA WOC and
helped to make the show a modest success.

There have been a number of comments received from people
regarding this show.

One major point that has been made, reflected an "auction" style
event that Keith Masavage was a part of.  We agree that this was
not well thought out and not consistent with the image Keith
wants us to portray to the professional markets.  It occurred
due to an internal misunderstanding and will not happen again.  We
sincerely regret any difficulties that this activity may have
caused for anyone.

We welcome any further thoughts or ideas anyone may have on the
WOC shows and how they could be improved or expanded.

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (12/07/89)

In article <18947@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) writes:

>Regarding the show itself.  I can't help but say I was disappointed.

	I had never been to a trade show before so I have no basis for
	comparison but *I* was impressed. I would have like to have seen
	a few more firms represented: most noticably absent perhaps was Manx.

	I also would have liked to talk to some Microbotics people but I
	bought their product anyways - in spite of GVP's conspicuous
	presence. (I guess Microbotics knows when they have a sure sell! :-))

>Commodore obviously is flaunting the Amiga as a game machine;
	I must disagree with you on this point. Commodore had scores of
	Amigas set up demonstrating many many different facets of the
	machine. They had entire sections dedicated to Education, New
	Technology, Music, Graphics and Image Processing, Desk-top
	Publishing, ..., and an Art Gallery.

	They had professionals sitting at the machines doing 'real work'
	with Amiga machines and available software. For example, I watched
	Paul Shecter from Vellum work with Gold Disk's products. I talked
	with a young lady using Deluxe Paint III to paint a picture of Bo
	Diddly. I met Brad Fowles and gawked at his homebrew go-fasts. I
	talked to the head of a board of education who wanted to put Amigas
	in his schools. And the list goes on...

>they went
>as far as setting up an 'Arcade' area for game-play.
	The video arcade was tucked out of the way and well away from the
	Commodore booth. In fact, I felt it was sponsored by the game
	vendors, *not* CBM! As I recall had more area covered by Wayne
	Gretzy's face than monitors.

>And with a $4 student admission, it was swamped by VideoNuts.
	You were cheesed you couldn't play games on the Amiga? :-)

Keith Hanlan
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada 613-765-4645
uunet!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bmers58!atreus!keithh or keithh@bnr.ca