[comp.sys.amiga] What is a good programming language for the Amiga?

AIN14994@merrimack.edu (11/28/89)

     I am looking for a flexible programming language that executes fast and
works well with graphics.  I've heard that Modula-2, C, and Fortran are all
good computer languages for the Amiga.  Does anyone have any suggestions or
comments as to what computer language I should buy?

                                                       Thanks,

                                                         Edward Greenwood

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (11/30/89)

In <13262@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu (Edward Greenwood) asks:

>     I am looking for a flexible programming language that executes fast and
>works well with graphics.  I've heard that Modula-2, C, and Fortran are all
>good computer languages for the Amiga.  Does anyone have any suggestions or
>comments as to what computer language I should buy?

It's been a month or so since I posted anything, so this makes a good excuse!

The answer of course is that you shouldn't BUY any compiler; you should just
trot on down to your nearest Amiga user's group (or decent software store) and
pick up copies of Fish Disks #76, 77 and 201. (Should be available for the
cost of the disks + copying.) They will provide you with a full distribution
of my Draco compiler/system for the Amiga. Code compiled with the compiler on
Fish #201 will execute almost as fast (with 10% in most cases, I'd say) as
that generated by any of the commercial compilers. The language also provides
strong type checking, which can be an immense boon to someone just starting
out with Amiga programming, something which C and Fortran don't do. All of
the languages (except, likely, Fortran) provide essentially the same features,
so graphics programming will be much the same in any of them. I've done a
number of graphics programs in Draco, and I've seen others done by happy
users elsewhere.

Given the price, (free), its a good way to find out if your really do want
to get into this Amiga programing stuff!

P.S. There will be a third version of the compiler coming out in the future,
as soon as I finish with Amiga Empire V2.0 . So far I've added global register
variables (real useful for shared libraries) and data initializations like
those in C.

Chris Gray    usenet: {uunet,alberta}!myrias!ami-cg!cg	  CIS: 74007,1165

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (12/07/89)

In article <0847.AA0847@ami-cg> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>In <13262@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu (Edward Greenwood) asks:
>
>>     I am looking for a flexible programming language that executes fast and
>
>The answer of course is that you shouldn't BUY any compiler; you should just
>trot on down to your nearest Amiga user's group (or decent software store) and
>pick up copies of Fish Disks #76, 77 and 201. (Should be available for the
>cost of the disks + copying.) They will provide you with a full distribution
>of my Draco compiler/system for the Amiga. Code compiled with the compiler on

>Given the price, (free), its a good way to find out if your really do want
>to get into this Amiga programing stuff!

    With all due respect to Chris, if you want to program the amiga the
  easiest way to interface to all the special library stuff is through 'C'.

    This is the language that was used to write much of the Amiga OS.

    Specifically Lattice C. Lattice currently has a compiler which has
  a (semi)new thing called function proto-typing. This is superior to
  ANY other strong typing because it provides the resources to find out
  what type is REQUIRED in any given situation. Yet you still have the
  flexibility to tell the compiler if you really WANT to mismatch your
  types.

    Lattice has a symbolic debugger that is interactive.(i.e. it allows
  command-at-a-time execution.)

    Best of all, anything you see in the ROM kernal manuals CAN
  BE TYPED IN DIRECTLY. No translation is needed.('Course there are
  a few typos :-(   )  If you are going to program for the Amiga, you
  MUST get the ROM KERNAL manuals! You really can't program anything
  more than text without them.

    Hope this helps...

    Don White
    Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
    zehntel!donw

hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) (12/07/89)

In article <2615@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) writes:

>    With all due respect to Chris, if you want to program the amiga the
>  easiest way to interface to all the special library stuff is through 'C'.
>
>    Don White
>    Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
>    zehntel!donw

	This used to be a problem with Draco, but mr Gray come through with
a fix.  See fdcompile on fish#254 under PatternLib.  Now we have a program
to automagickly write interface routines.

	Between semesters I'm going to try to use Arexx with Draco, to add
array ops to Arexx.  This way Arexx can be used to write useful programs,
because a compiled language can provide the computational firepower to handle
individual cases, while the script provides the overall logic.

	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu