[comp.sys.amiga] Okimate 20 Impressions???

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (11/28/89)

	I am looking for a low, Low, LOw, LOW cost color printer for my
Amiga 2000. Got that? LOW (e.g. gutteral! ) ;^)  So I have my eyes set
on the Okimate 20, which I have seen for less than $100. Now, I have a
friend who has one for their C64 and I noticed 2 problems. One, the image
has horizontal strips between each section of ink laid down. Can this be
"cured"? Two, the thing was EXCRUTIATINGLY SLOW!!!! It took 15 minutes just
to print 1/3 of an image. Now, is this the same on the Amy? I know that
one of the features of the 1.3 OS was much faster printer drivers. Is
there one for the Okimate 20? If so, approximately how long does it take
for one image?

	I have also heard that, since the thing is thermal transfer, it can
only use one part of a ribbon for each strip it prints. So, for IFF images,
approximately how many can one ribbon print? Now, I also noticed that there
was one ribbon cartridge for B&W, and one for color. Let's say I am using
one of the word processors that uses B&W and allows IFF color images to be
inserted (or I want to highlight a particular word or phrase in color) like
Pen Pal or ProWrite. How would this be done on the Oky 20? Would the software
know enough to allow me to switch cartridges for B&W and color? Or does the
color ribbon also have a Black portion to allow for this?

	I recall seeing a review of color printers and their output for Amiga
graphics. It looked at the Okimate 10 or 20, Canon one (cannot recall the #),
and the HP or one of those $1000 color printers. Does anyone recall what
magazine and what had this review? I have all back issues of AmigaWorld
(except 3 or 4 of the first year and Jan/Feb 1987. Anyone have extras??),
Amazing Computing, Antic's Amiga +, Compute's Amiga Resource, several
issues of INFO, some Ahoy Amiga User (Later just AmigaUser), and others.

	Finally, any general comments about the Okimate 20 would be
appreciated. I am NOT looking to use this to publish anything, just
to make hard copies of some of my images from DBWRender, QRT, Turbo Silver,
and other programs, as well as rough drafts of WordPerfect files and, if it
looks good, I'll get Pen Pal or ProWrite.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/29/89)

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) writes:

>	I am looking for a low, Low, LOw, LOW cost color printer for my
>Amiga 2000. Got that? LOW (e.g. gutteral! ) ;^)  So I have my eyes set
>on the Okimate 20, which I have seen for less than $100.

Don't forget you need the Plug'n'Print cartridge for another $75 or so.

> Now, I have a
>friend who has one for their C64 and I noticed 2 problems. One, the image
>has horizontal strips between each section of ink laid down. Can this be
>"cured"?

No. :-(

 Two, the thing was EXCRUTIATINGLY SLOW!!!! It took 15 minutes just
>to print 1/3 of an image. Now, is this the same on the Amy? I know that
>one of the features of the 1.3 OS was much faster printer drivers. Is
>there one for the Okimate 20? If so, approximately how long does it take
>for one image?

I can't give you a quantifiable answer.  Adjectives like "agonizing" come to
mind.  1.3 is better but part of the problem is the nature of the process it
uses.  The printhead must make a pass for each of the primary colors.

>	I have also heard that, since the thing is thermal transfer, it can
>only use one part of a ribbon for each strip it prints.

Yes.  The catch is that the colors are not parallel on the ribbon but rather
serial.  This means that there is a stretch of one color the length of the
carriage immediately followed by the next primary color, etc.  The printer
"remembers" how much ribbon it has traversed hence the particular color it
is on.  So if you have a line that has only, let's say, one blue dot the ribbon
must go through the entire sequence even if the other colors are not used.
Since the ribbon is really a mylar strip coated with colored wax, it can't
be reused like an inked ribbon.

>approximately how many can one ribbon print? Now, I also noticed that there
>was one ribbon cartridge for B&W, and one for color. Let's say I am using
>one of the word processors that uses B&W and allows IFF color images to be
>inserted (or I want to highlight a particular word or phrase in color) like
>Pen Pal or ProWrite. How would this be done on the Oky 20? Would the software
>know enough to allow me to switch cartridges for B&W and color? Or does the
>color ribbon also have a Black portion to allow for this?

I can't remember if the color ribbon has an explicit black section but if not
it can create black from the three primaries.

>	I recall seeing a review of color printers and their output for Amiga
>graphics. It looked at the Okimate 10 or 20, Canon one (cannot recall the #),
>and the HP or one of those $1000 color printers. Does anyone recall what
>magazine and what had this review? I have all back issues of AmigaWorld

AmigaWorld, early '87

>	Finally, any general comments about the Okimate 20 would be
>appreciated. I am NOT looking to use this to publish anything, just
>to make hard copies of some of my images from DBWRender, QRT, Turbo Silver,

It is really hard to critcize the little thing since it is so cheap, but its
unqualified performance is quite pathetic.  If you do a lot of printing the
cost of ribbons becomes substantial.  Text looks pretty nice on it but graphics
are disappointing.

I got a refurbished Diablo(Xerox) C150 for less than $400 a couple years ago.
That is only twice what you will pay for the Okimate.

I would suggest you try to find a used Xerox 4020 or better yet an HP PaintJet.
What good is cheap if you never use it?

Good Luck!

PS: Anyone using a PaintJet should try using the Xerox Inkjet Paper with it.

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (11/29/89)

I have an okimate 20.

And through my experiences, I have found that there are about 3 different
qualities of okimate 20's in the world.  There are good ones (like mine),
that print an image that alteast looks OK.  There are bad ones (like my
friends), that prints really horrid images, and there are terrible ones,
that sound like the drive train is filled with sand, and the printing
is really something terrible.

The colour ribbon is made up of 3 strips of waxy junk. Cyan, Magenta and
Yellow.  If you want to place one pixel of yellow on a line, you have to
go and waste about 3 feet of ribbon.  You can't get around it.
One 3 foot strip prints one line.

Overall, the output sucks bad, but for under a hundred, it's ok.

I'll sell you one for 75 (mine).  It's complete.  And only printed about
500 pages of stuff, and gone through 1.5 colour ribbons.

Includes cable for A1000 if you want it.  Reply if you like.
U PAY SHIPPING.

hgm@ccvr1.uucp (Hal G. Meeks) (11/30/89)

Firstly, the Okimate 20 isn't $100.00 as you quoted. With the proper plugnplay
interface, it's closer to $180.00. Ribbons are $6.00 apiece, and as far as
how long they last, it depends what you are printing. The friend who
has one is saying 12-15 pictures per ribbon, but I have heard that is the
low end.

Print speed is sloooooow, and the streaks you describe are unfortunately a
part of the printer. 1.3 fixes this problem somewhat by overlapping lines
slightly, but it a valiant attempt at best.

If you are really strapped for cash, and must have color, here's some
suggestions:

Star NX1000 Rainbow - This a 9 pin JX80 clone. Print quality is okay for
text, although I'm not too thrilled with their draft font. Graphic printing
has the inherent problems of a dot matrix; uneven color, some problem with
print lines. All considered though, it's an all around better choice than
the Okimate, for slightly about $200.00.

Used Printers - Printers quite a few moving parts, but it's possible to find
a decent used printer that may have a few years left on it. Note that for
Inkjets, you don't have to worry about a print head being worn, but you do
have to worry about clogged ink jets, leaking lines, etc. Not to scare you
off, since I bought my Xerox 4020 used, and it's been doing great for about
a year now.

Quadram Quadjet, Canon PJ1080, IBM ColorJet - These are all essentially the
same printer mechanically. I've seen Quadram Quadjets pop up occasionally
for around $200.00. They use replacement ink packs that also contain
maintenance fluid (most likely distilled water). Since they have an
autoflush mechanism to clean the heads, jet clogging is much less of a
problem than earlier inkjet designs. Nice consistent color across the page
is the big plus. They are slow, however, and need a special clay treated
paper to hold the ink on the page until it dries (easily obtainable).

Diablo C150 - I've seen these going for $300 -$350, used. It's essentially
the same engine as my Xerox 4020, without the autoflush mechanism or the
"enchanced" printing mode (prints blacks in two passes for really dark
blacks). Again, needs a special inkjet paper. You can either use tektronix
or Xerox inks in this printer, "Inky Dink" inks from Software Sensations
(about 1/2 the price), or liquid watercolors (Dr. PH Martin's, Windsor
Newton's).

A side note - Just noticed an ad in Computer Shopper for some surplus
liquidator. They are selling Xerox 4020's (evidentally new) for $650.00.
What can I add other than I've been very happy with mine.

--hal

---------------
hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu       "Oh dear, now I've made a terrible mess of things.
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet    And all I wanted to do was rule the universe."
			  Dr. Zachary Smith

fgd3%jc3b21.uucp@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

     I can think of only two reasons to get an Okimate 20: (1) You can get
it free.  (2) You need the saturated colors the thermal transfer process
provides.

     The Okimate 20 on the Amiga is faster than the C64 situation you
described but it is still quite slow.  The horizontal white lines between
strips are a problem.  The story is there was something wrong with the
original Amiga/Oki interface and you can get it fixed.

     But why bother with the Oki when you can get a Star NX-1000 Rainbow
for around $220?

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (12/08/89)

In article <5438@nigel.udel.EDU> fgd3%jc3b21.uucp@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>     I can think of only two reasons to get an Okimate 20: (1) You can get
>it free.  (2) You need the saturated colors the thermal transfer process
>provides.
>
>     The Okimate 20 on the Amiga is faster than the C64 situation you
>described but it is still quite slow.  The horizontal white lines between
>strips are a problem.  The story is there was something wrong with the
>original Amiga/Oki interface and you can get it fixed.
>
>     But why bother with the Oki when you can get a Star NX-1000 Rainbow
>for around $220?
>
>--Fabbian Dufoe	>UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

I haven't seen the original post, but I gather it's a request for info.

My Okimate 20 is about 5 years old, and still performs adequately, probably
because I use it   V E R Y   rarely. I do all draft printing on an Okidata
Microline 182 (+ something or other), The Okimate is reserved for color
graphics printing and letter quality, both of which it does well enough to
suit me. It is slow, expensive to operate, not built for heavy use, and
there is no way to get rid of the lines in the graphics output, you can
take your choice of thin white gaps with the IBM compatible control card or
slight overlap (thin dark lines) with the Amiga compatible control card.
Visible lines are not unique to the Okimate, they are in every low cost
printer output that I have seen.

I'm not unhappy with the Okimate, it was the best choice for me at the time
I bought it, but if I was looking for a printer now, I would probably buy
the HP Paintjet (less than $1000., no lines).

If you can't afford the Paintjet and your printing requirements are like mine
(once in a blue moon), the Okimate might be a good choice. The color is a lot
snappier looking than other printers in it's price range, and it is quiet in
operation.

Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
BT Tymnet                                               Voice:408-922-7508
UUCP:{pyramid|ames}oliveb!tymix!pnelson              LRV:Component Station
How 'bout those World Champion Oakland A's!!!