[comp.sys.amiga] Removing noise from cassette recording

dlundy@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Dave.Lundy) (12/08/89)

I have been given the task of duplicating a very noisy cassette.
It was recorded on type I tape with no noise reduction & much too
low recording level.  Can anyone suggest a reasonable way to make
a copy with less noise.  I know that there are a number of programs
for the Amiga that can digitize & edit audio so I thought maybe one
of them used some kind of DSP techniques that might be useful in this
case.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Dave Lundy

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling - PA) (12/08/89)

In article <116@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM> dlundy@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Dave.Lundy) writes:
> I have been given the task of duplicating a very noisy cassette.
> It was recorded on type I tape with no noise reduction & much too
> low recording level.  Can anyone suggest a reasonable way to make
> a copy with less noise.  I know that there are a number of programs
> for the Amiga that can digitize & edit audio so I thought maybe one
> of them used some kind of DSP techniques that might be useful in this
> case.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Dave Lundy

Unless you have some highly correlated ``noise'' like 60hz hum, DSP techniques
won't help here. You could ``edit'' out the noise between selections and any
clicks or pops, but thermal and 1/f noise added to the program material can
usually only be reduced by analogue low pass filtering.

 Rick Sterling                 Commodore Technology Group       (215)-431-9275
 Test Engineering              UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling