[comp.sys.amiga] Where is TeX?

2FHDDOWEL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (John A. Thywissen) (11/28/89)

Where can one FTP Amiga TeX, METAFONT, LaTeX, and WEB from?

-- John A. Thywissen
(Ignore above address, real one is <thywiss@csvax.cs.ukans.edu>)
(bix: thywiss)

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (11/29/89)

2FHDDOWEL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (John A. Thywissen) writes:
> Where can one FTP Amiga TeX, METAFONT, LaTeX, and WEB from?

AmigaTeX is a commercial product; I hope there aren't any ftp sites for it.
Demo disks available from Radical Eye Software, Box 2081, Stanford, CA~~94309.
Package includes TeX, preview, MF, LaTeX, BibTeX, SliTeX, etc.; everything
but WEB . . .

-tom

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (11/29/89)

In article <18905@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2FHDDOWEL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (John A. Thywissen) writes:
>Where can one FTP Amiga TeX, METAFONT, LaTeX, and WEB from?

	Amiga TeX is a commercial product -- no FTP!

	However, there is a new PD Amiga TeX called Amiga CommonTeX (I
think).  It was made in Germany.  You can get a copy of it by sending e-mail
to LISTSERV@MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI.  Your letter should contain exactly this
line:

/AMYGET SRC AMIGABI TEX-DIST (PARTSEND

You will then be mailed all 17 parts of the CommonTeX distribution disk.
Join them to get a uuencoded ZOO file.

	NOTE!  This is not the complete CommonTeX.  It is just one disk
of many.  It contains virtex and some shell scripts, plus plain.fmt,
plain.tex, and some essential files.  No fonts, no other macro files.
There is information in TEX-DIST about how to get the rest.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (11/30/89)

>2FHDDOWEL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (John A. Thywissen) writes:
> Where can one FTP Amiga TeX, METAFONT, LaTeX, and WEB from?
While AmigaTeX, the program is a copyrighted, for-sale work, I believe
that LaTeX in and of itself is a copyrighted, but free set of macros
written in TeX in which case you would merely have to get a hold of any
distribution of the LaTeX package to have LaTeX.

Am I right in assuming this?---Can somebody else out there in net.land
comfirm or deny?
I'm making this assumption based on the fact that every version of TeX
I've ever seen for workstations or > was provided free+cost of media.
Also, the various disclaimers and READMEs tend to lend to this idea.

While we're on the subject of AmigaTeX, I'll repost a question that I asked
a while back but got no answers to..
Could somebody please, please, PLEASE! tell me where 'plain.fmt' goes?
I have the demo disk, but everytime I try to TeX something, TeX panics and
complains 'I can't find the plain.fmt file!'.
I've tried stuffing it in TEX: TEX:inputs TEX:formats TEX:macros,
everything I can think of.
I am trying to run it off a hard drive and have the following ASSIGN in my
Startup-Sequence:
ASSIGN TEX: dh0:TeX

If somebody out there is successfully using the demo from fishdisk 150
or has the full blown thing running, could you please send me a list of
all the ASSIGNS you do or what exactly you did to get it running.

There were no dox with my copy of the demo version. I've only been able to
get this far 'cause I brought up TeX on an Apollo this summer.
Thanks muchly
---Steve
----------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
While(legaloids_abound) {
     say(its_all_mine);
     }

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (12/01/89)

In article <3417@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	However, there is a new PD Amiga TeX called Amiga CommonTeX (I
>think).  It was made in Germany.  You can get a copy of it by sending e-mail
>to LISTSERV@MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI.  Your letter should contain exactly this
>line:
>
>/AMYGET SRC AMIGABI TEX-DIST (PARTSEND
>
>You will then be mailed all 17 parts of the CommonTeX distribution disk.
>Join them to get a uuencoded ZOO file.

I mailed the listserver, and got the files, but wasn't able to properly
uudecode them.  Zoo said filestructure corrupt.  This was after spending
a couple of hours manually unsharing them, moving them around from VMS to
UNIX, etc.  If someone has them as a zoo file without all the extras that
appear to be available elsewhere, could you please upload them to an Amiga
FTP site.  tut.cis.ohio-state.edu already has metafont and dviware for the
amiga in pub/amigo, so that would seem to be the logical place...

Of course if someone really needs a "professional quality" version of TeX
for the Amiga, they should purchase AmigaTeX from Radical Eye Software,
where you can get Support if and when you require it.

-Ed Berger
eberger@b.psc.edu

carson@daleth.rice.edu (Jim Carson) (12/01/89)

In a previous article, eberger@godot.UUCP writes:
>I mailed the listserver, and got the files, but wasn't able to properly
>uudecode them.  Zoo said filestructure corrupt.
The problem is that trailing spaces in the uuencoded files are missing.  I
wrote a dumb little program to add them and managed to get a working zoo
file.  I will put the result on titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30) in the public
directory for you to download.  It's called "tex.zoo" and is about 460k.

>Of course if someone really needs a "professional quality" version of TeX
>for the Amiga, they should purchase AmigaTeX from Radical Eye Software,
>where you can get Support if and when you require it.
Very true.

 Jim Carson                 Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering
 carson@rice.edu            Rice University
 ..!uunet!rice!mu!carson    Houston, TX 77252

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (12/02/89)

	I just wanted to mention a few things about the PD implementation
of CommonTeX from Germany {the one you can get by sending a mail message
"/AMYGET SRC AMIGABI TEX-DIST (PARTSEND" to listserv@mammutti.utu.fi}.

o	It does not come with LaTeX, just plain TeX.

o	It works just fine!  I haven't done any printing from the Amiga, but
	it is indeed making correct DVI files.  (I previewed them on our
	VAX.)

o	It works fine with the GNU macro package, texinfo.  I successfully
	TeX'd the texinfo manual itself, "texinfo.texinfo" from the GNU
	Emacs distribution.  (Version 1.26 of texinfo.)

o	It's pretty slow with a 65ms hard drive and a 68000 Amiga 1000!
	I think it took about 8-10 minutes to make the texinfo manual
	(106 pages).

o	In order to get texinfo to work, you'll need all the *.tfm files
	(may be taken from the UNIX TeX, I guess) in your fonts: directory.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/02/89)

In article <3342@brazos.Rice.edu> carson@daleth.rice.edu (Jim Carson) writes:
> The problem is that trailing spaces in the uuencoded files are
> missing.

You should use the ``new'' uu*code programs that handle files that
have BITNET-rot.  It's available via ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu as
/amiga/uucode.zoo and works just fine on UNIX machines (I use it
on my UNIX machines, and I think this is what Bob is using in his
postings).  It's both forward and backward compatable.

	...tad

hoefling@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (12/06/89)

Jim Carson writes (received Nov 30):

>>> The problem is that trailing spaces in the uuencoded files are missing.  I
>>> wrote a dumb little program to add them and managed to get a working zoo
>>> file.  I will put the result on titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30) in the public
>>> directory for you to download.  It's called "tex.zoo" and is about 460k.

As of Dec 5, the "tex.zoo" is not in the public directory on titan.  Did I
miss it, or has it not yet arrived?

Jay Hoeflinger
hoefling@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

okay%tafs.mitre.org@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

carson@mu.rice.edu (Jim Carson) (12/07/89)

In a previous article, hoefling@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>As of Dec 5, the "tex.zoo" is not in the public directory on titan.  Did I
>miss it, or has it not yet arrived?
>
>Jay Hoeflinger
>hoefling@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

I had removed it because it contained material copyrighted by Commodore.
As this is the last week of classes for me (a/k/a crunch time), I have
not had the opportunity to remove the files and re-upload it.  I will
do so today (12/6) and put it back on titan (128.42.1.30). Sorry for
any inconvenience.

 Jim Carson                 Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering
 carson@rice.edu            Rice University
 ..!uunet!rice!mu!carson    Houston, TX 77252

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (12/07/89)

  You're suspicions are partly correct. Latex is a macro package for
tex and can be found at various ftp sites. However without TeX (the program),
these macros won't do you an ounce of good so your statement that

  " in which case you would merely have to get a hold of any
    distribution of the LaTeX package to have LaTeX."

is not really correct. Kind of like getting C code and no C compiler.

  As for the AmigaTeX demo, I think you may have to set some envronment
variables, though I thought they defaulted to the proper places. I believe
that the environment variable (set with the "set" command) specifies where
the .fmt files go. I think this is supposed to default to tex:formats.

  Jim

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (12/07/89)

In article <5449@nigel.udel.EDU>, okay%tafs.mitre.org@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> While AmigaTeX, the program is a copyrighted, for-sale work, I believe
> that LaTeX in and of itself is a copyrighted, but free set of macros
> written in TeX in which case you would merely have to get a hold of any
> distribution of the LaTeX package to have LaTeX.

Essentially correct.  But you still need TeX, of course . . .

> I'm making this assumption based on the fact that every version of TeX
> I've ever seen for workstations or > was provided free+cost of media.

Also free of support and others bells and whistles.

> Could somebody please, please, PLEASE! tell me where 'plain.fmt' goes?

It goes in tex:macros, I believe . . . Please send me your physical address
so I can send you an up to date demo; that one is ancient.  (Although I
have no idea what is wrong with the copy you have . . .)

-tom

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/09/89)

In article <42600054@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> hoefling@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> As of Dec 5, the "tex.zoo" is not in the public directory on titan.  Did I
> miss it, or has it not yet arrived?

It's there now:

titan.rice.edu:/public/
-rw-r--r--  1 600      30         421182 Dec  6 13:54 tex.zoo

However, be forewarned that this file is practically a copy of
someone's disk (ie, it contains things like c/Shell and c/dmouse).
Caution is advised.

	...tad