[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive for A500

jedi@clark-emh.arpa (Michael S. Hampton) (10/27/88)

Can anyone out there recommend an inexpensive hard drive (20 or 30 meg) for the
Amiga 500??  I have been very disapointed with the outrageous prices.  I thought
that $500 for my 20meg was high (1985 price).  Oh well,  Any info will be
helpful.  Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Hampton                           |"'Lizabeth, Just wake up, it's only a
Clark Air Base, Philippines            | dream"....."It's NO dream...BOY!"
 "It works for me"                     | Phantasam II
snail mail: PSC #2, Box 13327          |  E-Mail:  jedi @ Clark-EMH.arpa
            APO SF, CA  96311          |

jedi@clark-emh.arpa (Michael S. Hampton) (11/19/88)

Greetings!  It's me again.  Does  anyone  know  of  a  decent  20-30  meg  hard
drive+controller  for  the  A500  that  is  priced  comprable with the IBM hard
drives?  What would be really nice would be an external hard drive which  could
be  used with both IBM AND Amiga.  :) Oh well.  All I get to see is what I read
here, because the magazines that we get here in the Philippines are about 2 - 3
months old.

thanks

Mike Hampton
jedi@Clark-EMH.arpa

bdo8650@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Dennis O'Connor) (10/11/89)

	I'm looking to buy a Hard Drive system for my Amiga 500.  Most
probably I will buy a controller separate from the drive, so I can cash
in on cheap Seagate prices.

	The one controller that I seem to hear favorable things about is
the Xetec FastTrak controller.  Does anyone know anything about this?
What does it come with?  The cheapest price that I have found so far is
$379 mailorder.

	My next question is kind of a generic seagate drive question.  If
I buy one from a Mail Order company, what does it come with?  Case?
Will I need to buy more than just a controller and drive?  Will I need to
buy a fan or power supply?  (I just want to make sure that I know of
every cost I am going to be having.)

Thanks...

And now for the uninteresting, unoriginal, unfinished .signature!
Bryan O'Connor    |  ARPA - bdo8650@cec2.wustl.edu  |  Washington University

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (10/12/89)

[Line-eater, line-eater, munch me some text]

In article <1989Oct10.200713.4753@cec1.wustl.edu> bdo8650@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Dennis O'Connor) writes:

>	I'm looking to buy a Hard Drive system for my Amiga 500.  Most
>probably I will buy a controller separate from the drive, so I can cash
>in on cheap Seagate prices.

>[...deleted controller question that I can't answer...]

>	My next question is kind of a generic seagate drive question.

I have some generic Seagate answers...

My [day] job involves a network of about 120 IBM PC/ATs.  They were
installed in our stores between 1987 and 1988, and have been running
continuously ever since.  (We do not power our equipment down.)  Some of
them (maybe 10%) have Seagate C: drives, but all the rest have IBM
Rochester drives throughout.

Every disk drive failure we've had has been a Seagate drive.

Over 70% of the Seagate drives have failed over the course of three years.
Would I buy one?  Nope.  $pend the extra dollars for a decent drive!
Your up front investment will save you no end of crap and expensive
repair bills down the line.  Even a starving student has to understand
that a cheapo drive will cost you plenty in a year or two.

>If I buy one from a Mail Order company, what does it come with?  Case?
>Will I need to buy more than just a controller and drive?  Will I need to
>buy a fan or power supply?  (I just want to make sure that I know of
>every cost I am going to be having.)

If you buy an 'external' drive, it will come with case, power supply,
and fan.  If you buy an 'internal' drive, you will have to supply all
mounting, power, etc. in your hardware.

Hope this helps,

-j
--
J. Deters
jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG    .\ /.    "Smile -- Cthulu loathes you!"

deevans@athena.mit.edu (David E Evans) (12/09/89)

Does anyone know what kind of options are available for installing a hard
drive to the Amiga 500?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

--- Dave.