[comp.sys.amiga] Half-Brite on a 1000

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (11/27/89)

I have an Amiga 1000 which does not have Extra Half-Brite Mode.
Does anyone know if just replacing the Denise chip will fix this?
or is there a difference in the board design which won't let this
work.

--
BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN
"I know my familiar is a vampire duck, just don't mess with it."

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (AMOEBOID) (11/28/89)

In article <3800@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
> I have an Amiga 1000 which does not have Extra Half-Brite Mode.
> Does anyone know if just replacing the Denise chip will fix this?
> or is there a difference in the board design which won't let this
> work.
> BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN

All you need to do is purchase one of the half-brite denise
chips, and drop it into your A1000.  I did it to mine about
6 months ago, and it owrks like a charm.  Really makes
using DPaintIII a joy (you can do some great stuff with the
1/2 brite mode).

Cost should be around $70 or so, maybe a bit cheaper.

Regards,
	George

--
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (12/05/89)

In article <3800@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>I have an Amiga 1000 which does not have Extra Half-Brite Mode.
>Does anyone know if just replacing the Denise chip will fix this?
>or is there a difference in the board design which won't let this
>work.

Yes, I read somewhere that this is the only change you have to make.
However, I'm not 100% sure if it's the Agnus or the Denise.
To find out, compare your Agnus and Denise revision numbers to those of
an other Amiga 1000.

/* -------------------------- SG (Simeon Graphics) ---------------------- */
/* Peter Simeon,      UUCP: |       //                             //     */
/*  visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */
/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */

nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Nigel Pearson) (12/09/89)

From article <2726@ethz.UUCP>, by visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators):
>>I have an Amiga 1000 which does not have Extra Half-Brite Mode.
>>Does anyone know if just replacing the Denise chip will fix this?
>
> Yes, I read somewhere that this is the only change you have to make.
> However, I'm not 100% sure if it's the Agnus or the Denise.

	It's the Denise chip. While you are at it, you might like to get
in International version of Denise (ie. one which will give you 512-568
line PAL displays).

Nigel Pearson, overpaid research assistant @ University of Technology, Sydney.

           "[Environmental] Crisis? What [Environmental] Crisis?"

ACSnet:  nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz     Phone: (+61 2)[OS] (02)[Aust] 281 2552
Surface: Nigel Pearson, Key Centre, UTS, PO Box 123, BROADWAY, Australia, 2007