[comp.sys.amiga] Extra Halfbrite Capability for an old 1000

In <6208@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Moster) writes:
>	No doubt this has been discussed, but since I missed it:  How
>can I get extra halfbrite capability for my old Amiga 1000?  I'm 99%
>sure that it doesn't already have it.  I called two local dealers who,
>to put it kindly, were less than informed regarding extra halfbrite.
>I'm wondering if any magazine articles have been written discussing
>how an individual can perform the upgrade and thus avoid the downtime
>and cost of turning the machine over to a dealer.  (The dealers I
>called couldn't even tell me how much it would cost!)

Have your dealer order a Denise chip for you. The one he gets should be rev 6
or higher (don't think you can get less than rev 6 any more). Open Amiga,
replace chip, close Amiga, enjoy.

std_disclaimer(user, blame)
  if machine(fried)
    if user(did_it)
      user += blame
end std_disclaimer

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Moster) (12/09/89)

	No doubt this has been discussed, but since I missed it:  How
can I get extra halfbrite capability for my old Amiga 1000?  I'm 99%
sure that it doesn't already have it.  I called two local dealers who,
to put it kindly, were less than informed regarding extra halfbrite.
I'm wondering if any magazine articles have been written discussing
how an individual can perform the upgrade and thus avoid the downtime
and cost of turning the machine over to a dealer.  (The dealers I
called couldn't even tell me how much it would cost!)

	Thanks for any information!

	Richard Moster

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (12/10/89)

In article <6208@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Moster) writes:
> How can I get extra halfbrite capability for my old Amiga 1000?

	Since people keep asking this, I thought I'd post the COMPLETE
information given to me directly by CBM about a year ago.  I assume it
is still current, but who knows?  :-)

	If your Amiga 1000 does not already have Extra Halfbrite (EHB) mode
[all other Amiga models have it], you need a new Denise chip.  Specifically,
this is:
		part #252126-01
		Integrated Circuit
		8362 Denise for Amiga 1000 computer

The cost is $71.95 plus $3.00 shipping and handling, and can be ordered
from:
		Commodore Business Machines
		c/o Department C
		1200 Wilson Drive
		Westchester, PA  19380

NOTE!  The chip comes with NO INSTRUCTIONS on how to install it.  Either
you already know how to remove the old Denise and install the new one, or
you let your authorized service center do the job.

                                                        Dan

| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science          Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |