[comp.sys.amiga] Archiving Programs

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/13/89)

There has been a lot of discussion about new archiving programs for the
Amiga.  I believe this is one area, though, that standards should
dominate performance.  Zoo is the most popular archiving program used
on the Amiga, and most people have it and know how to use it.  Using
another archiver on programs you intend to distribute just reduces the
number of people who can use your code.

For all of its problems, zoo has the following advantages:
   - Works on a variety of machines, including Unix
   - Compresses reasonably well
   - Most BBSs and BIX can verify/list a zoo file
   - Widely used, so that almost everyone already has it

So, use what you want to on your own machine, but when you send someone
a file, or make it publically available, keep this in mind.

-tom

whirt@cup.portal.com (William Bill Hirt) (10/14/89)

In message <12417@polya.Stanford.EDU> Tomas G. Rokicki
<rokicki@Polya.Stanford.EDU> writes:

>There has been a lot of discussion about new archiving programs for the
>Amiga.  I believe this is one area, though, that standards should
>dominate performance.  Zoo is the most popular archiving program used
>on the Amiga, and most people have it and know how to use it.  Using
>another archiver on programs you intend to distribute just reduces the
>number of people who can use your code.

As a BBS sysop for the past year and a half, I certainly disagree with
the above conclusion. This maybe true in the Usenet community, but in the
BBS world, ARC is certainly the more common of the archivers used. I have
over 1700 files on my board, and I'm sure the number of ARC files outnumber
the ZOO's by at least 3 to 1. I would say most non_Usenet Amiga users
know better how to use ARC than ZOO.

>For all of its problems, zoo has the following advantages:
>   - Works on a variety of machines, including Unix
>   - Compresses reasonably well
>   - Most BBSs and BIX can verify/list a zoo file
>   - Widely used, so that almost everyone already has it

ZOO appears to pack about as efficiently as ARC. I've unpacked ZOO files
and then re-packed them using LHarc and reduced the size of 140K Zoo
archive to about 100K LHarc archive. When I paying to download from a
commercial service or I have a long distance user calling the BBS to
download a file, it is appreciated to have the file packed as small as
possible. Many sysops are now asking their users to upload their files
only in LHarc format. LHarc for the Amiga can handle long filenames just
like Amiga ZOO.

As a Fidonet node, I run my board on PC-AT clone. I recently switched to
having my nightly Amiga echomail sent to me in ZIP format rather than ARC.
The first day I received it, the ZIP packet came in at 101K and by the time
my system had prepared an ARC packet for re-transmission to another Fido
node, the same number messages were only compressed to 182K by ARC. I saved
half the transmission time by using an archiver more efficient than ARC/ZOO.

>So, use what you want to on your own machine, but when you send someone
>a file, or make it publically available, keep this in mind.

ZIP has taken the IBM world by storm and once it comes to the Amiga, I
expect to do the same across all the BBS's. When it comes down to saving
disk space and paying telecommunications costs out of one's pocket, the
most efficient archiver will come out on top.

>-tom

Bill
Sysop
Amiga Central BBS 1200/2400 (816) 587-5360 Fidonet (1:280/304)

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/15/89)

In article <23071@cup.portal.com> whirt@cup.portal.com (William Bill Hirt) writes:
>As a BBS sysop for the past year and a half, I certainly disagree with
>the above conclusion. This maybe true in the Usenet community, but in the
>BBS world, ARC is certainly the more common of the archivers used. I have
>over 1700 files on my board, and I'm sure the number of ARC files outnumber
>the ZOO's by at least 3 to 1. I would say most non_Usenet Amiga users
>know better how to use ARC than ZOO.

Yes, but most of those files are for the PC, aren't they?  The fact is that
ARC is pretty brain-damaged on the Amiga, like filenames are restricted to
DOS-style, whatever that is, like eight characters plus an extension.
I have seen Amiga distributions with icky command files ARCed along with
the program's files to rename stuff back to the friendlier, longer,
Amiga-style names.  (Sure, you could restrict filenames to match, but
those restriction suck, plus it only applies for the people who you can
convince to do that.)

We are zooing all the Amiga stuff on our BBS.  We like that because we can
unshar, uudecode, etc, on Unix, the zoo the stuff up on Unix, then Amiga
guys (for example) can download and unzoo.  Although this could
all be done with ARC as there is a Unix version of ARC, the previously
mentioned naming restrictions ARC imposes changes the sysop's archive
creation process from a nearly totally automatic
"zoo -update /usr/bbs/files/amiga/package *" into a manual process of
consing up scripts to change the names around.

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke

plouff@levers.enet.dec.com (10/16/89)

In article <23071@cup.portal.com>, whirt@cup.portal.com (William Bill Hirt) writes...

>ZOO appears to pack about as efficiently as ARC. I've unpacked ZOO files
>and then re-packed them using LHarc and reduced the size of 140K Zoo
>archive to about 100K LHarc archive. When I paying to download from a
>commercial service or I have a long distance user calling the BBS to
>download a file, it is appreciated to have the file packed as small as
>possible. Many sysops are now asking their users to upload their files
>only in LHarc format. LHarc for the Amiga can handle long filenames just
>like Amiga ZOO.

and...
>ZIP has taken the IBM world by storm and once it comes to the Amiga, I
>expect to do the same across all the BBS's. When it comes down to saving
>disk space and paying telecommunications costs out of one's pocket, the
>most efficient archiver will come out on top.

Well, if I understand the situation, ZIP had its origins in the fallout
from the legal dispute between PKware and SEA, where the former's
ARCclone lost to the latter's original.  So at least some of ZIP's
appeal is reaction to SEA's heavy-handedness.  But other postings in
this thread have said that ZIP's packing efficiency is only modestly
better than ZOO's.

On a different note, why not adapt LHARC's hybrid Huffman/Lempel-Ziv
packing algorithm to ZOO?  A one-file-at-a-time equivalent to LHARC was
published with source this spring in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Perhaps the
moderator, Rahul Dhesi, could encourage the author of ZOO, Rahul Dhesi,
to do so.  :-)

Wes Plouff
--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%levers.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, Digital Press, forthcoming

jemmrich@carroll1.cc.edu (John Emmrich) (12/06/89)

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a list of all the archiving
programs and their ending letter(s). I seem to have deleted mine.
Would someone please email me a copy. Thanx.

*    An IBM?                     *        John                *
*         Who would want one?    *          Emmrich           *

jemmrich@carroll1.cc.edu (John Emmrich) (12/10/89)

     Once again, I'll post my requets. A few weeks ago, someone
posted a list of all the archiving programs. It included the
suffix added and what program to de-archive it. Would someone
please repost this. I have a few requests from people asking for
the answer i got, which was none. How about it? Thanx.