[comp.sys.amiga] PRESS RELEASE: Oxxi Aquires Aegis and PAR Product lines

While I'm no spokesman for OXXI, I'm the only one on the net "connected"
to them (as one of the developers that have products published by them),
so I hope that publishing their recent press release concerning the
aquisition of Aegis will stop the questions addressed to me.  PLEASE
address any further questions, to the telephone number provided. Thank you.

The press release follows. Press 'n' to skip its highly commercial content.

				Contact John Houston, OXXI (213)427-1227

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

	OXXI ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO AEGIS PRODUCT LINE, PAR SOFTWARE,
		ANNOUNCES NEW DIRECTOR OF SALES

Long Beach, CA -- November 1, 1989 -- OXXI, Inc. President John Houston
today announced the acquisition of the rights to the entire Aegis
Development, Inc. product line, including the name "Aegis" and all
associated trademarks. Additionally, Oxxi has acquired PAR
Software(tm), makers of Express Paint(tm) and Spritz(tm). Each
company's products will continue to be sold and supported by Oxxi, with
many planned upgrades and enhancements to be anounced in the near future.

Aegis will operate as a division of Oxxi specializing in desktop video,
graphics and sound, while PAR and Oxxi products will continue to be
dedicated to general productivity applications. All registered users
of Aegis and PAR products will be completely supported in Oxxi's new
capacity, with uninterrupted service.

"We are extremely excited about the addition of both the Aegis and PAR
products to our current line of software," Houston said. "These high-
quality, performance-oriented software programs cover all market
segments, including desktop video, business productivity and utilities,
allowing Oxxi to become a full-service developer and publisher for the
Amiga and other computers."

Houston said both acquisitions come at a time of changing market
conditions, where consolidation of resources and product development
efforts will be necessary to effectively compete in what is becoming an
increasingly crowded market.

In a related story, Oxxi also announced Alexander Eckelberry, Aegis'
former Director of Sales and Marketing, has been hired to work in a
similar capacity at Oxxi. Mr. Eckelberry is a seasoned industry
veteran, having held positions with Borland International, Inc.,
Realworld Software, Inc., Compustar, Inc., and High Tech Marketing, Inc.

"We feel confident that the combination of our product quality and Mr.
Eckelberry's marketing savvy will create a solid platform for success,
allowing us to become a market leader rapidly," Houston said.

Oxxi, Inc., based in Long Beach, CA., is one of the leading publishers
of productivity software for the Amiga and IBM PC platforms. Their
product line includes A-Talk III: a communications and terminal
emulation program; Tax Break: a personal tax preparation program, and
Numbus: a cash-basis accounting system.

--- end of PRESS RELEASE

As I meantioned in a previous message, the acquisition of the Aegis products
does not include their former communications program, Diga!, whose rights were
returned to its developers prior to Aegis aquisition by Oxxi.  At Saturday's
LAAUG Christmas Show, I was informed that Oxxi will continue to provide an
upgrade path to A-Talk III for former Diga! registered users.

Enjoy. (flames to /dev/null :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (12/04/89)

In article <21563@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>The press release follows. Press 'n' to skip its highly commercial content.
>

>Oxxi, Inc., based in Long Beach, CA., is one of the leading publishers
>of productivity software for the Amiga and IBM PC platforms. Their
>product line includes (deleted for brevity)
>Numbus: a cash-basis accounting system.
^^^^^^^^

Numb-Us?

I was thinking about purchasing a small accounting package but that name
scares me!

;-) :-) :)

-Ed Berger
eberger@b.psc.edu

sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (12/05/89)

Now that Oxxi has acquired the rights to Aegis software, and Aegis
will operate as a division of Oxxi, is there any chance that some
existing Aegis products will be upgraded?  Products in dire need of an
upgrade include:  Animator and Impact.

Aegis Impact could be a nice business desktop presentation package
(there aren't many choices on the Amiga).  What it really needs is to
support higher resolutions; its maximum resolution is only 640 x 200.
It also could be upgraded to support outline fonts or PostScript.  In
any case, it hasn't been upgraded (so far as I know) since it
originally shipped three years ago.

Aegis Animator has fallen so far behind its competitors, that it
should either be upgraded or taken off the market.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Nicholson
--

In article <SDL.89Dec4183326@lyra.lyra.mitre.org> sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:
>Now that Oxxi has acquired the rights to Aegis software, and Aegis
>will operate as a division of Oxxi, is there any chance that some
>existing Aegis products will be upgraded?

As the press release says: "with many planned upgrades to be announced in the
near future".

>Products in dire need of an
>upgrade include:  Animator and Impact.
>Aegis Impact could be a nice business desktop presentation package [...]
>In any case, it hasn't been upgraded (so far as I know) since it
>originally shipped three years ago.

Aegis Impact is NOT listed in the new Oxxi -- Complete product list.  I
guess it is dead :-)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (12/08/89)

In article <SDL.89Dec4183326@lyra.lyra.mitre.org> sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:

|Now that Oxxi has acquired the rights to Aegis software, and Aegis
|will operate as a division of Oxxi, is there any chance that some
|existing Aegis products will be upgraded?  Products in dire need of an
|upgrade include:  Animator and Impact.

	I wonder if Aegis *did* upgrades. I purchased
	AudioMaster & Sonix, and now I see that there
	are new versions on the market.  I have never
	received any upgrade notices despite the fact
	that I carefully registered my purchases with
	them.

	Does anyone know the address and phone number
	for the new version of Aegis?

Thanks,
--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) (12/10/89)

I don't know about Impact upgrades, but as far as Animator goes the same
author wrote Fanatvision, which dose a pretty nice job. It IS basically
Animator II! Supports higher res, sound, and crashes ALOT less. I doubt it's
worth all that much to upgrade on Animator because of the defacto std.
DPaintIII has become.  As far as Impact! goes it would definitly be useful if
it supported PS fonts and Laser/Lino output! Even if there was a just a module
that translated files to ProPage or one of the other structured drawing progs,
hell, even Draw 2000 will let you output "real" hardcopy and it's in the Aegis
family!

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!dak             |    ProLine: dak@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!dak@pro-graphics.cts.com     |    201/469-0049   3/12/2400 Baud
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!dak@nosc.mil    |    24 Hrs.        Piscataway, NJ