[comp.sys.amiga] An Emulator for the Amiga

In <21427@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <13259@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu writes:
>>     I am currently taking a Graphics course using GKS on a Digital VAX
>>Computer.  As far as I know, graphics can only be drawn and displayed
>>on Digital VT240 Terminals.  I would like to be able to work by phone using
>>an Amiga.  I've tried both VT100 and VT220 emulators but these don't work.
>>Does a VT240 or similar emulator exist for the Amiga?
>
>The answer is NO. It will stay that way unless CBM decides that a VT240
>emulator is a 'strategic' product for the Amiga.

Or unless someone else decides they want to write one, neh?

>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

AIN14994@merrimack.edu (11/28/89)

     I am currently taking a Graphics course using GKS on a Digital VAX
Computer.  As far as I know, graphics can only be drawn and displayed
on Digital VT240 Terminals.  I would like to be able to work by phone using
an Amiga.  I've tried both VT100 and VT220 emulators but these don't work.
Does a VT240 or similar emulator exist for the Amiga?  I would greatly
appreciate any comments or suggestions.

                                                    Thanks,

                                                      Edward Greenwood

In article <13259@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu writes:
>     I am currently taking a Graphics course using GKS on a Digital VAX
>Computer.  As far as I know, graphics can only be drawn and displayed
>on Digital VT240 Terminals.  I would like to be able to work by phone using
>an Amiga.  I've tried both VT100 and VT220 emulators but these don't work.
>Does a VT240 or similar emulator exist for the Amiga?

The answer is NO. It will stay that way unless CBM decides that a VT240
emulator is a 'strategic' product for the Amiga.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

In article <835@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <21427@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>In article <13259@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu writes:
>>>Does a VT240 or similar emulator exist for the Amiga?
>>
>>The answer is NO. It will stay that way unless CBM decides that a VT240
>>emulator is a 'strategic' product for the Amiga.
>
>Or unless someone else decides they want to write one, neh?

Sure. But to give you an idea of the effort involved, may I suggest that
you pick up a VT240 (or VT340) Programmer's Manual.  Not something you want
to embark on just as a moonlighting job, with no money up front.  There is
one VT240 emulator for the Mac and about 3 for the PC.  All of them have
been produced by major companies, larger than any of the Amiga companies
(except for WordPerfect, Inc.).  But the MAJOR hurdle to justifying
such an effort is that it isn't clear whether Commodore sees that market
as strategic for the Amiga, and even then whether the Amiga can make it as
a business tool. I don't disagree that it is possibly a chicken-and-egg
type of problem.

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/30/89)

In article <21427@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> In article <13259@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu writes:
>>     I am currently taking a Graphics course using GKS on a Digital VAX
>>Computer.  As far as I know, graphics can only be drawn and displayed
>>on Digital VT240 Terminals.  I would like to be able to work by phone using
>>an Amiga.  I've tried both VT100 and VT220 emulators but these don't work.
>>Does a VT240 or similar emulator exist for the Amiga?
>
> The answer is NO. It will stay that way unless CBM decides that a VT240
> emulator is a 'strategic' product for the Amiga.
>
> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Please! Give Commodore a break. Are they required to come out with every piece
of software than anyone might find useful? That's what the third parties are
for. Anyway, check your facts... I use GKS on a Vax and all it needs is
Tektronix emulation to display graphics. I suspect a VT240 is simply a VT220
with Tektronix built in. There are several freely distributable programs with
Tektronix emulation available for the Amiga.

--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

In article <4287@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> In article <21427@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> In article <13259@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu writes:
>>>     I am currently taking a Graphics course using GKS on a Digital VAX
>>>Computer.  As far as I know, graphics can only be drawn and displayed
>>>on Digital VT240 Terminals.  I would like to be able to work by phone using
>>>an Amiga.  I've tried both VT100 and VT220 emulators but these don't work.
>>>Does a VT240 or similar emulator exist for the Amiga?
>>
>> The answer is NO. It will stay that way unless CBM decides that a VT240
>> emulator is a 'strategic' product for the Amiga.
>>
>> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'
>
> Please! Give Commodore a break. Are they required to come out with every piece
> of software than anyone might find useful? That's what the third parties are
> for. Anyway, check your facts... I use GKS on a Vax and all it needs is
> Tektronix emulation to display graphics. I suspect a VT240 is simply a VT220
> with Tektronix built in. There are several freely distributable programs with
> Tektronix emulation available for the Amiga.

(^^that's my writing) my bust on that; have since learned that that's not what
a VT240 is... but GKS is a device-independent graphics system, so he should be
able use a Tektronix emulator quite successfully for that effect.

> --
> James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET
--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

In article <4287@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Anyway, check your facts... I use GKS on a Vax and all it needs is
>Tektronix emulation to display graphics. I suspect a VT240 is simply a VT220
>with Tektronix built in. There are several freely distributable programs with
>Tektronix emulation available for the Amiga.

"Anyway, check your facts" :-) You are "confused", dude. If the only thing
you need is Tektronix graphics, then there are commercial and PD programs
for the Amiga that provide that.  As far as Tektronix graphics is concerned,
the VT240 doesn't provide anything more than these packages (that is, VT240
does not provide Tek 4105/7 color graphics).  BUT, a VT240 includes all the
stuff in a VT220 (including multinational support), sixel graphics and REGIS
graphics.  Not a simple undertaking or like somebody has suggested: "take
Dave Wecker's VT100 and hack a VT240 into it" :-) Just pick up a VT240 manual
and from the SIZE of it you'll get an idea at what effort would be
involved in such a project.  The size of the few companies that built such
a beast for the Mac and the PC is larger than any of the Amiga developers, save
for WordPerfect.  I can tell you because I tried, there is NO independent
software publisher in the Amiga market TODAY that would fund such a project
WITHOUT some help from Commodore (since venture capitalists are totally
absent in the Amiga market).  And maybe there is a reason: the market is
just not there (BTW: there is no problem in getting funding for games, if
you are interested in such things).

manes@topsy.UUCP (Mark D. Manes) (12/01/89)

In article <4287@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> In article <21427@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> > In article <13259@merrimack.edu> AIN14994@merrimack.edu writes:
> >
> > The answer is NO. It will stay that way unless CBM decides that a VT240
> > emulator is a 'strategic' product for the Amiga.
> >
> > -- Marco Papa 'Doc'
>
> Please! Give Commodore a break. Are they required to come out with every piece
> of software than anyone might find useful? That's what the third parties are
> for. Anyway, check your facts... I use GKS on a Vax and all it needs is
> Tektronix emulation to display graphics. I suspect a VT240 is simply a VT220
> with Tektronix built in. There are several freely distributable programs with
> Tektronix emulation available for the Amiga.
> --
> James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --

Eeek gad, you folks with the exception of Marco are suffering from
a unixgasm.  Silly to assume that vt240 is nothing more than a Tektronics
terminal with a DEC keyboard.

I have 20 vt240's around, and their major claim to fame is sixel graphics.
AS a tektronics terminal, they suck.  It is my understanding that GKS is
the replacement standard for the DEC sixel graphics that is in a vt240.

Most people who want a vt240 emulator want to be able to use REGIS graphics,
not for tektronics emulation.  REGIS and SIXEL graphics is difficult and
tedious considering the resolution of the Amiga.  PC companies make big
money in creating emulations for these type of terminals, because it is
not a trival matter.

Marco, you were right on target.

-mark=

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (12/01/89)

In article <4289@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> [...]

[...lots of misunderstandings about the vt240 deleted...]

>... but GKS is a device-independent graphics system, so he should be
>able use a Tektronix emulator quite successfully for that effect.

IF the tektronix driver was installed with GKS on his system, and IF
the program(s) he is using lets the user select the workstation type
of he has source code and can change the workstation type, or the
program(s) already uses the vt240 tektronix emulation.  If there's no
tektronix specific driver available on his system, or there's no way
to select tektronix as the workstation type, then tek emulation won't
do a lot of good.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

In article <275@topsy.UUCP> manes@topsy.UUCP (Mark D. Manes) writes:
>Eeek gad, you folks with the exception of Marco are suffering from
>a unixgasm.  Silly to assume that vt240 is nothing more than a Tektronics
>terminal with a DEC keyboard.
>[....]
>Most people who want a vt240 emulator want to be able to use REGIS graphics,
>not for tektronics emulation.  REGIS and SIXEL graphics is difficult and
>tedious considering the resolution of the Amiga.  PC companies make big
>money in creating emulations for these type of terminals, because it is
>not a trival matter.
>
>Marco, you were right on target.

Gee, thanks.  For the interested ones, one starting point might be your local
PC store: check out Smarterm 240 by Persoft (for PCs) or White Pine Mac240
(for the Mac). True, none of them is cheap, but a "real" VT240 ain't cheap
either :-)

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/01/89)

In article <21476@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> In article <4287@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>>Anyway, check your facts... I use GKS on a Vax and all it needs is
>>Tektronix emulation to display graphics. I suspect a VT240 is simply a VT220
>>with Tektronix built in. There are several freely distributable programs with
>>Tektronix emulation available for the Amiga.
>
> for the Amiga that provide that.  As far as Tektronix graphics is concerned,
> the VT240 doesn't provide anything more than these packages (that is, VT240
> does not provide Tek 4105/7 color graphics).  BUT, a VT240 includes all the
> stuff in a VT220 (including multinational support), sixel graphics and REGIS
> graphics.  Not a simple undertaking or like somebody has suggested: "take
> Dave Wecker's VT100 and hack a VT240 into it" :-) Just pick up a VT240 manual
> and from the SIZE of it you'll get an idea at what effort would be
> involved in such a project.

I've heard of emulators with Sixel graphics, (never heard of REGIS though)...
sounds like most of the work has been done with Handshake already. How much
harder could it be to add a few graphics modes? (Tektronix emulators are a dime
a dozen). I guess it probably would be done if there was enough interest, but
VT100 (and 220 for some people) is probably enough for the bulk of the
population.

--

In article <4386@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>I've heard of emulators with Sixel graphics, (never heard of REGIS though)...
							      ^^^^
>sounds like most of the work has been done with Handshake already. How much
>harder could it be to add a few graphics modes?
			   ^^^^^
REGIS graphics has been around for at least 10 years, on DEC terminals
(initially on the VT125).  The tone of your question clearly demonstrates
that you haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about.  Do your
research:  go to your university computing center or library and pick up
a VT240 manual.  Check it out and then make statements. The VT240 has a
miriad of other functions besides REGIS, TEK and SIZEL graphics (multinational
support, downloadable fonts, remappable keyboards, printer support, just to
name a few ), none of which is included in a plain VT100.

jtreworgy%eagle.wesleyan.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

papa%pollux.usc.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

In article <4287@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Anyway, check your facts... I use GKS on a Vax and all it needs is
>Tektronix emulation to display graphics. I suspect a VT240 is simply a VT220
>with Tektronix built in. There are several freely distributable programs with
>Tektronix emulation available for the Amiga.

"Anyway, check your facts" :-) You are "confused", dude. If the only thing
you need is Tektronix graphics, then there are commercial and PD programs
for the Amiga that provide that.  As far as Tektronix graphics is concerned,
the VT240 doesn't provide anything more than these packages (that is, VT240
does not provide Tek 4105/7 color graphics).  BUT, a VT240 includes all the
stuff in a VT220 (including multinational support), sixel graphics and REGIS
graphics.  Not a simple undertaking or like somebody has suggested: "take
Dave Wecker's VT100 and hack a VT240 into it" :-) Just pick up a VT240 manual
and from the SIZE of it you'll get an idea at what effort would be
involved in such a project.  The size of the few companies that built such
a beast for the Mac and the PC is larger than any of the Amiga developers, save
for WordPerfect.  I can tell you because I tried, there is NO independent
software publisher in the Amiga market TODAY that would fund such a project
WITHOUT some help from Commodore (since venture capitalists are totally
absent in the Amiga market).  And maybe there is a reason: the market is
just not there (BTW: there is no problem in getting funding for games, if
you are interested in such things).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

I guess mmdf@udel.edu is at it again.  Can you fix that sucker, guys, PLEASE?
I got at least 50 repeat messages today from udel.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (12/10/89)

Speaking from several years' experience with VT240's in both ReGIS and
Sixel, believe me, ReGIS alone is Godawful complex.  There are commands
and subcommands and options and suboptions and several levels of save/restore
for dozens of variables; bitmap manipulations and masks and polygon fills and
arc-splining and text and macros...  Whew.  A terse, two-lines-per-command
DESCRIPTION of ReGIS commands, alone, comes to about five or six pages just
in the "reference card."  It's more like FORTY pages in the programmer's
manual...

I still have a fond dream of someday writing a ReGIS interpreter, but by
golly I haven't gotten a handle on it yet after four years of brainstorming...
:-)

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (12/11/89)

>Speaking from several years' experience with VT240's in both ReGIS and
>Sixel, believe me, ReGIS alone is Godawful complex.  There are commands
>and subcommands and options and suboptions and several levels of save/restore
>for dozens of variables; bitmap manipulations and masks and polygon fills and
>arc-splining and text and macros...  Whew.  A terse, two-lines-per-command
>DESCRIPTION of ReGIS commands, alone, comes to about five or six pages just
>in the "reference card."  It's more like FORTY pages in the programmer's
>manual...

Forty pages?!? That is nothing.  Look at a tektronix manual some time.
I've only played with the ReGIS subset which is implemented on the digital
GIGI, but it was much less complex than say, a basic interpreter.  Probably
the most complex part of ReGIS is that you can specify the same command
several different ways.  Rather than hardcode the meaning of each command
it would be neccessary to interpret them.  Still I can't believe that there
aren't any companies out there that are willing to do this.

...I just flipped through the GIGI manual.  The full command descriptions
are in chapter 12 which is only 25 pages long...

-ss