[comp.sys.amiga] Replacing DiskDoctor with DiskSalv

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (12/11/89)

In article <241@pallas.UUCP> wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) writes:
>In article <5517@nigel.udel.EDU> jms%tardis.tymnet.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>>C:DiskDoctor has to be invoked manually, and I'm not very impressed with
>>its success rate.  Release 1.4 could use improvements on this account.
>
>In my opinion, Commodore ought to just drop DiskDoctor entirely and start
>shipping AmigaDOS with DiskSalv in its place.  DiskDoctor doesn't even
>come close to DiskSalv in terms of success at recovering files and the
>directory structure.  My experience has been that running DiskDoctor on
>a munged disk is about as effective as running Format on it.  :-(
>--
>Wally (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)
>
>"Student signature -- Stand clear."

I recently purchased the Amigo Times v.1.9 with disk, and was quite pleased
to find that Steve Tibbet had a program on the disk called DiskX.  It seems
to provide a reasonable way of editing disks at the byte level.  Some day
I will get aroung to using DiskSalv, I just haven't lost a floppy in quite a
while.  The last time I did, I used the wretched program DiskDoctor. I would
also concur with Wally's idea that DiskDoctor be replaced by something.

I know that this is comp.sys.amiga, but I have found the disk utilities
provided with the Zenith PC's to be very useful on my PC, of course.  They
allow you to recover clusters associated with a file as well as lowlevel
editing on the disk.  Could something like this be provided in 1.4?
Please refrain from telling me to look at Disk Salv etc. I plan to
when I need/get the time to.

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu