[comp.sys.amiga] 2500UX and AmigaDOS

giovanne@topaz.rutgers.edu (Steve Giovannetti) (11/07/89)

Does anyone have any information about the level of integration
between the Unix and DOS on these machines?  Is it possible that their
might be two partitions on the disk, an AmigaDos partition and a Unix
partition, so that one could switch environments by rebooting?  Has
CBM decided not to make the same mistake that Apple did with A/UX, and
to think hard about the integration?  Are these questions entirely too
preliminary?

 Steve Giovannetti				   giovanne@topaz.rutgers.edu

	     "Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem!"

						      William of Occam

ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (11/08/89)

In article <636@crash.cts.com> jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jeff Waltzer)
writes:
>I hear that there are Commodore trying to port UNIX to the AMIGA.

This is true.  The Amix (Amiga Unix) Development Team has been working
on one port of SysV for well over a year.  We are currently working
System V Release 4.0, which we showed at last week's Unix Exposition.
We were in the AT&T booth showing this brand new port with several
other 4.0 porters.

>From what I hear there should be something soon, but I don't know much
>more.

We are looking at the early 1990 time frame.

>Does anybody know which AMIGAs it will work on?

The A2500 will be an A2000 with a 68030 co-processor board in it (like
the 68020 board is now).  It will also run on the 68020.

In article <137@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John
Lindwall) writes:
>Whoah! Reality check here!  Did you really mean _Release 4.0_ ?   4? Four?
>F-O-U-R?  Pardon my incredulous look, but this would be too cool.  Did you
>see the system running ?  Are there any surprising details to note?

>Folks in the Atari group (while lamenting vaporware products from
>Atari) have been implying that Unix on the Amiga is a vaporware
>product.

This is incorrect.  It has been used for over a year for developement
of Amix.  Of course a year ago it was only SysV 3.1 but it is pretty
solid.

SysV 4.0 has a solid kernel but it is a little way from a shipping
product.

In article <981@dialogic.UUCP> gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) writes:

>The Good News:
>
>The Amiga 2500 was at the UNIXexpo in the UNIX International booth.
>At that booth, they were about 10 different architectures
>demonstrating UNIX System V.4 (Absolutely beautiful OS, I was
>drooling over the enhancements)

System V "it's in there" 4.0 is large.  It is a hog but it has a lot
to offer: Sockets, NFS, RFS, X Windows, Streams, and the file system
switch.

>What I like about this is that CBM will only need to support V.4 and
>never have to worry about V3.2 since they are releasing a version of
>it (at least that's what I assume. I don't know so for a fact. Anyone
>at CBM care to comment?)

This is true.  I am very happy with this decision also.

>The Bad News:
>
>If I didn't know better, I would never consider purchasing an Amiga.
>They had the Amy's hooked up to Moniterm monitors which were a sickly
>yellow white.  The screen looked like old parchment. No color
>monitors. The X-window demo was really lame.  The CBM rep. wasn't the
>most helpful. (The demo was a train using ASCII graphics.  Sort of an
>old VT100 animations)

First, this was a technology exposition.  The port of System V Release
4.0 is not finished.  In fact, Mike and I were still working on parts
of it until 6:00am the day of the show.

Second, you did not see an X-window demo.  You saw a curses demo.  The
X-window demo was on the other side of the booth.  The demo you saw
was lame, sorry, but it was what we were given to show.

Third, the guy you probably talked to was the new Amix Marketing Guy.
He wasn't very helpful because he'd never seen Amix System V.4 before.
This is probably not the best excuse, but I am sure we will have it
together for the next show.

Mike "Ford" Ditto, Richard "Rude Dog" Skrenta, and I [The Team(TM)]
were on the other side of the booth showing off X-window in Hedley
mode.  It was quite nice although not in color.  X in color is here it
just wasn't presentable for the show.

In article <6248@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> chip@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Chip Christ)
writes:
>It's not ready for release, only because CBM wants to be sure that
>the SVR4 base is really stable, they claim.  According to the guy
>with whom I spoke, CBM was this far (thumb & index finger held about
>1/4 inch apart ;-) from releasing an SVR3 based Amix when 4.0 became
>available to vendors, so they decided to go with it.

You spoke to Mike Ditto.  This is all true.

In article <1013@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <20332@ut-emx.UUCP> hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb)
>writes:
>|In article <23539@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung
>|Morris Ng) writes:
>|>
>|>"The latest addition to the Amiga 2000 series is the Amiga
>|>2500UX... features a 100 MB hard drive and a 25 MHz, 32-bit
>|>Motorola 68030 processor..."
>|
>|Does this mean that the delay in shipping Amix was caused by a bug
>|in the 2620 MMU?  Or just that an O'30 doesn't cost much, compared
>|to an unix license?

No, Amix works fine on a 020 and 030 board.

>	The 3 biggest problems in shipping Amix are
>
>		1. Support
>		1. Support
>		1. Support

This is somewhat incorrect.  Support for Amix is not solid right now.
Currently CATS does some of the support and the rest is handled by the
software team .

>there is no dealer support;

Let us get a product out there first.

>and no formal C= marketing strategy as far as can be seen.

This is not true but commenting further on marketing strategies is not
within my power.

In article <Nov.7.09.06.26.1989.2184@topaz.rutgers.edu>
giovanne@topaz.rutgers.edu (Steve Giovannetti) writes:
>Is it possible that their might be two partitions on the disk, an
>AmigaDos partition and a Unix partition, so that one could switch
>environments by rebooting?

You can and will be able to do this.

Pax, Keith

--
  ag@cbmvax.commodore.com     Keith M. Gabryelski      ...!uunet!cbmvax!ag

bn@attcc.UUCP (11/09/89)

> The A2500 will be an A2000 with a 68030 co-processor board in it (like
> the 68020 board is now).  It will also run on the 68020.

Well AMIX be able to run on some of the third party hardware such as the
GVP 3001 upgrade kit?

Bo

UUCP:  att!mwood!attcc!bn
INET:  mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (11/09/89)

OK, call me stupid, but what is 'Hedley mode'.

--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov8.210849.21770@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay)
writes:
>OK, call me stupid, but what is 'Hedley mode'.

Hedley mode is just a weird display mode that one can get into
providing one has the correct monitor and display card.  It is
1024x800 (1024x1024 in europe).  It was designed by Hedley Davis
(pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"). :-)

Pax, Keith
--
  ag@cbmvax.commodore.com     Keith M. Gabryelski      ...!uunet!cbmvax!ag

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (11/11/89)

In article <8500@cbmvax.UUCP> ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>In article <1989Nov8.210849.21770@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay)
>writes:
>>OK, call me stupid, but what is 'Hedley mode'.
>
>Hedley mode is just a weird display mode that one can get into
>providing one has the correct monitor and display card.  It is
>1024x800 (1024x1024 in europe).  It was designed by Hedley Davis
>(pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"). :-)
>
>Pax, Keith
>--
>  ag@cbmvax.commodore.com     Keith M. Gabryelski      ...!uunet!cbmvax!ag

OK, now that I know WHAT Hedley mode is, can anyone tell me a little more
about it?  Like, how many bit planes, what the colour palette is, and what
machines it will work on.  It says above "providing one has the correct
monitor and display card", what display cards?  I thought the Amiga didn't
need a display card? Will "Hedley mode" be standard from C=?

By the way, I LOVE that name ... "Hedley mode".  Commodore is giving up
"GURU meditation" which really pissed me off, but this is not bad trade off.

--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
+ WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
+ 840445m@AcadiaU.CA  +                    - Tommy Douglas            +

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (11/12/89)

When I was shopping for an accelerator, I talked with GVP about running
AMIX on the 3001.  YES it will run on their board.  They are beta testers
for it and have been running AMIX for quite some time.

My question for the GVP is will third party hard disk controllers be
able to DMA into their 32bit memory?

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (11/14/89)

From article <1989Nov10.164346.15326@aucs.uucp:, by 840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay):
: In article <8500@cbmvax.UUCP: ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
: OK, now that I know WHAT Hedley mode is, can anyone tell me a little more
: about it?  Like, how many bit planes, what the colour palette is, and what
: machines it will work on.  It says above "providing one has the correct
: monitor and display card", what display cards?  I thought the Amiga didn't
: need a display card? Will "Hedley mode" be standard from C=?

	There are two ways to get Hedley mode... The first (and most available)
is to purchase a Moniterm monitor for your 2000. This gives you the 1024x800
monochrome mode and the 640x400 16 grey scale mode. The second way is to get
a real Hedley monitor from Commodore (Not available in the US yet... :-( )
and plug it into any Amiga. The big difference between them is that C='s
has the video card built into the monitor and the Moniterm has the video
card external... Either way, it's fairly spendy.

: + Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
: + Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
: + WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
: + 840445m@AcadiaU.CA  +                    - Tommy Douglas            +
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/15/89)

In article <1691@agora.UUCP> billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:
>From article <1989Nov10.164346.15326@aucs.uucp:, by 840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay):
>: In article <8500@cbmvax.UUCP: ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>: OK, now that I know WHAT Hedley mode is, can anyone tell me a little more
>: about it?  Like, how many bit planes, what the colour palette is, and what
>: machines it will work on.  It says above "providing one has the correct
>: monitor and display card", what display cards?  I thought the Amiga didn't
>: need a display card? Will "Hedley mode" be standard from C=?

Please watch attribution lines.  I did not write any of the above statements.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (11/25/89)

>>Folks in the Atari group (while lamenting vaporware products from
>>Atari) have been implying that Unix on the Amiga is a vaporware
>>product.

Definitely incorrect.  I've played with a 2500UX (beta, with '020)
and it's pretty boring (no Tetris!), but it's Unix.

Of course, I want BSD, but SVR4 has most of the features so it'll
probably be bearable until GNU the OS comes along and supplants everything.
--
	-Colin

In <126@amix.commodore.com>, ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>This irks me.  What do you want that is not in SysVR4?  If it is
>reasonable I'll spend the time and put it in.
>
>If you just want something that says "BSD" because you want a warm
>fuzzy then you're probably looking in the wrong places (GNU OS won't
>have it either).

Notknowing exactly what the ramifications of Rev4 are, I will say that I want
long filenames. Can do?

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/28/89)

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (11/28/89)

In article <126@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:

)>Of course, I want BSD, but SVR4 has most of the features so it'll
)>probably be bearable until GNU the OS comes along and supplants
)>everything.

)This irks me.  What do you want that is not in SysVR4?  If it is
)reasonable I'll spend the time and put it in.

There are a lot of us happy Berkeley/Sun users out here who are
sort of in a cloud as to what VR4 has and doesn't, largely because
people have been trying to foist off VR3 with csh and vi as "Berkeley
Enough."

I want job control.  Is it in there?  The apps like vi are smart enough
to catch the signal and go back into raw mode when they are
brought to the foreground and everything?

Works great?  Can say ^Z from within vi?

)Pax, Keith

Your affirmative response will bring me great peace.  If you must
report the negative, it's not Amix's fault, right?

Jah Love, jimm

--
--------------------------------------------------	- opinions by me
"This voice console is a *must*.  I press Execute.

In article <4930@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
->There are a lot of us happy Berkeley/Sun users out here who are
->sort of in a cloud as to what VR4 has and doesn't, largely because
->people have been trying to foist off VR3 with csh and vi as "Berkeley
->Enough."

->I want job control.  Is it in there?  The apps like vi are smart enough
->to catch the signal and go back into raw mode when they are
->brought to the foreground and everything?

Yeah, it's in there. As someone who spent mucho time putting stuff into
V.4 I can tell you it is more BSD than what you traditionally think of
as SV+BSD. In fact I can't think of anything off the top of my head that
_isn't_ in SVR4 that is in BSD. (4.3 at least, 4.4 not being available
yet) Not to worry Jim. Note though that what is on the source tape AT&T
sends to liscencees is not necessarily what goes out in that persons release.
However, since CBM is the licensee they should be able to put it all in
and not have to worry about missing something.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

In article <4930@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>In article <126@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>)This irks me.  What do you want that is not in SysVR4?  If it is
>)reasonable I'll spend the time and put it in.
>
>There are a lot of us happy Berkeley/Sun users out here who are
				      ^^^
>sort of in a cloud as to what VR4 has and doesn't, largely because
>people have been trying to foist off VR3 with csh and vi as "Berkeley
>Enough."
>Your affirmative response will bring me great peace.

Sun had a lot to say as far as what went into SYSVR4. Summarizing:

SYSVR4 = SYSVR3 + BSD + XENIX

The only thing people will miss is MACH-type multiprocessing, which is what
OSF has decided it wants for OSF/1.

So, have peace (and it's Christmas time, anyway :^)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

lbl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (leslie.b.locklear) (11/29/89)

)
) )>Of course, I want BSD, but SVR4 has most of the features so it'll
) )>probably be bearable until GNU the OS comes along and supplants
) )>everything.
)
) )This irks me.  What do you want that is not in SysVR4?  If it is
) )reasonable I'll spend the time and put it in.
)
	Stuff deleted...

) I want job control.  Is it in there?  The apps like vi are smart enough
) to catch the signal and go back into raw mode when they are
) brought to the foreground and everything?
)

Job control is in System 5.4.

Barry Locklear

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/29/89)

In article <4930@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>I want job control.

It is there.  SIGTSTP and SIGCONT are there.  jsh (ksh + 1) handles
job control.  Csh is there.

>The apps like vi are smart enough to catch the signal and go back
>into raw mode when they are brought to the foreground and everything?

Yes.

In article <833@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry
Phillips) writes:
>Notknowing exactly what the ramifications of Rev4 are, I will say that
>I want long filenames.

They are there.  The Berkeley File System is supported on R4 with
all its features.  The Standard System V File System supports soft
(Symbolic) links.

Pax, Keith

Ps, As the fellow from Sun said, ~"I can't think of anything that isn't
in System V Release 4.0 that is BSD 4.3"~.  Commodore plans on supporting
the entire distribution.
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (11/29/89)

In <126@amix.commodore.com>, ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>This irks me.  What do you want that is not in SysVR4?  If it is
>reasonable I'll spend the time and put it in.

This is not any sort of "real" test for "real" BSD, but I'm sure a lot
of people here can relate to this.  Will DNet compile and run on SVR4/AMIX?
That would be at least a good starting point.  :-)

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) (11/29/89)

In <127@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:

>It is there.  SIGTSTP and SIGCONT are there.  jsh (ksh + 1) handles
>job control.  Csh is there.

>Yes.

>Yes.

And now the Unix team at Commodore is on the "It's in there" rampage. Boy these
software types at Commodore are good!

>Pax, Keith

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

In article <833@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> (Larry Phillips) writes:
> Not knowing exactly what the ramifications of Rev4 [UNIX] are, I will say
> that I want long filenames. Can do?

Can do. Of course you can still mount a SYSV filesystem if you can't stand
trying to think up names longer than 14 characters. :-) :-).

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (11/29/89)

lbl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (leslie.b.locklear) writes:
> ) I want job control.  Is it in there?  The apps like vi are smart enough
> ) to catch the signal and go back into raw mode when they are
> ) brought to the foreground and everything?
> )
>
> Job control is in System 5.4.

From what little I've read, it seems that EVERYTHING is in SysV.4...

-Miles

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (11/30/89)

}
}Can do. Of course you can still mount a SYSV filesystem if you can't stand
}trying to think up names longer than 14 characters. :-) :-).

Since you can mount "foreign" filesystems, I'll ask the obvious question:
will CBM provide a UN*X driver for AmigaDOS filesystems?

mjr@mimsy.umd.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) (12/12/89)

In article <21426@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>SYSVR4 = SYSVR3 + BSD + XENIX

or, to put it another way:
	SYSVR4 = SYSVR3 BUGS + BSD BUGS + XENIX BUGS;

	-sorry, I couldn't pass that one up! :-)
mjr.
--
	He was in his room half awake, half asleep. The walls of the room
seemed to alter angles, elongating and shrinking alternately, then twisting