[comp.sys.amiga] SimCity on Harddrive revisited

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (12/12/89)

blair> I know this is old hat to most people, but I need
blair> a refresher.  I cannot get SimCity 1.0 to run from
blair> my harddisk.  In fact I get get it to run unless
blair> I boot from the SimCity disk.  I can copy the stuff
blair> and the program comes up with the opening
blair> street-sign screen.  Then the machine locks up.
blair> I've tried nuking all concurrent tasks with the
blair> exception of GOMF and nothing works.  Someone
blair> save me a phone call.

SimCity uses a "key disk" protection scheme.  Copy it to your hard
disk, and make sure the original floppy is in df0: when you start the
game.  Remove the floppy after SimCity starts.

Maxis/Broderbund is also offering an optional version of SimCity that
uses look-up-the-word copy protection instead of the key disk.
Contact them for details.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (12/12/89)

I know this is old hat to most people, but I need
a refresher.  I cannot get SimCity 1.0 to run from
my harddisk.  In fact I get get it to run unless
I boot from the SimCity disk.  I can copy the stuff
and the program comes up with the opening
street-sign screen.  Then the machine locks up.
I've tried nuking all concurrent tasks with the
exception of GOMF and nothing works.  Someone
save me a phone call.

hrlaser@gryphon.COM (Harv Laser) (12/13/89)

In article <44444@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>I know this is old hat to most people, but I need
>a refresher.  I cannot get SimCity 1.0 to run from
>my harddisk.  In fact I get get it to run unless
>I boot from the SimCity disk.  I can copy the stuff
>and the program comes up with the opening
>street-sign screen.  Then the machine locks up.
>I've tried nuking all concurrent tasks with the
>exception of GOMF and nothing works.  Someone
>save me a phone call.

Did you register your SimCity after purchase? (by register I mean
"mail in the registration card.")

If so you should've gotten a newsletter from Maxis telling you how to
upgrade to version 1.1 which solves that "have to boot off the disk
to play the game" nonsense.

If memory serves, the upgrade is free if you mail back your original
disk and costs a few bucks if you don't, but the straight poop is all
in their newsletter.  V1.1 fixes the "hard to boot" problem, the
memory usage problem, and a couple other things I can't remember.
Get it.. you'll be a happier person ;-)

--
Harv Laser
hrlaser@gryphon.COM      <routing site>!gryphon!hrlaser