[comp.sys.amiga] Prob. with ShowANIM ?

dg49+@andrew.cmu.edu (David A. Gillespie) (12/11/89)

I have been having a problem with ShowANIM, and don't know what to do.  I try
to ShowANIM filename, and it gives me the first screen and then says "illegal
op value for delta mode".  This doesn't happen for all ANIMs, but it has
happened for ones like HappyGuy on the first "Amiga +" disk, for example.
Other people have no problem getting them to work, and though I thought it
was just the version I was using, I have tried several including the one given
on that disk, and no luck.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have an Amiga 500 with 1 meg, if that matters.

Thanks,
Dave

baer@qiclab.UUCP (Ken Baer) (12/12/89)

In article <oZUjDhm00WB348D0Qv@andrew.cmu.edu> dg49+@andrew.cmu.edu (David A. Gillespie) writes:
>I have been having a problem with ShowANIM, and don't know what to do.  I try
>to ShowANIM filename, and it gives me the first screen and then says "illegal
>op value for delta mode".  This doesn't happen for all ANIMs, but it has
>happened for ones like HappyGuy

Here's the problem:  this is a Sculpt3/4D Movie file.  It is not a legal
ANIM (op 3|4|5) file.  Byte-by-Byte used the ANIM file structure, but
used their own packing format.  Therefore, you can only view these files
with their PD Movie program.  Luckily, they added true ANIM support to
their latest version of 4D.  You can convert these Movie files to ANIM
using Animation:Editor, if you need to mess around with the frames.
Byte-by-Byte hasn't made their movie format public, so you can't modify
or work with the frames in a Movie file, unless you convert it to IFF's
or ANIM.  But, if you just want to view the animations, pick up a copy
of Movie off your local BBS.
Hope this helps.

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises.
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

dg49+@andrew.cmu.edu (David A. Gillespie) (12/13/89)

It was suggested that these "bad" files are actually Sculpt 3/4D files, but
actually that changes nothing because each time I have used the ShowANIM
that came with that file.  My latest problem is with one called AntiCBS,
which doesn't include it's own file, but still doesn't work.  On the HappyGuy,
I used the ShowANIM that came on the disk, but still had no luck.

Still having problems,
Dave