[comp.sys.amiga] Mouse Extension Cable?

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (11/21/89)

Hi!  I picked up a standard joystick extension cable to use with my
mouse.  Although my mouse spins well enough with it, though, the
two buttons do not register at all with the cable.
The mouse works fine without the extension, as does my trackball.
The trackball buttons, though, also don't work with the cable.
When I use the cable on that port with a joystick, the buttons work
fine.

Any ideas on how I can get the cable to work with the mouse?  I'm almost
totally hardware incompetent, so any hacks had best be simple!
Thanks!
------------
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
------------   "sleep is for the weak and sickly"  ------------

sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (11/21/89)

In article <8911202324.AA04585@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:

   Hi!  I picked up a standard joystick extension cable to use with my
   mouse.  Although my mouse spins well enough with it, though, the
   two buttons do not register at all with the cable.
   ------------
   Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...

The standard joystick extension cable only passes 7 of the total 9
pins in the DB9 connector on the mouse cable.   Pins 1 & 2 (I think)
are not normally needed for the joystick but are for the mouse.

I almost did the same thing.  I saw the inexpensive joystick
extensions in the elec. game section of a toy store and thought: "Wow,
I can save a couple of bucks."  Better go to a computer store and get
a real DB9 Male-Female extension.

	-Tom

mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) (11/22/89)

In article <8911202324.AA04585@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
>Hi!  I picked up a standard joystick extension cable to use with my
>mouse.  Although my mouse spins well enough with it, though, the
>two buttons do not register at all with the cable.

I picked up a joystick extension cable designed to work with the
Commodore 64 at Radio Shack. Don't remember the part number but it cost
less than $5.

It works perfectly as a mouse extension cable on my 500.
--
+====================================================================+
| Martin Warnett          | uucp:   ...sun!claris!wet!mcw            |

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/22/89)

From article <SHEFFLER.89Nov21095643@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU>, by sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler):
> In article <8911202324.AA04585@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:

>    Hi!  I picked up a standard joystick extension cable to use with my
>    mouse.  Although my mouse spins well enough with it, though, the
>    two buttons do not register at all with the cable.

> The standard joystick extension cable only passes 7 of the total 9
> pins in the DB9 connector on the mouse cable.

> Better go to a computer store and get a real DB9 Male-Female extension.

The Radio Shack joysick extension cable has all 9 pins wired. It's 10
feet long, and costs $5-6. I've used a number of them for cables on
joystick and trackball projects.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

kim@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Geoffrey K Kim) (11/23/89)

>In article <8911202324.AA04585@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
>>Hi!  I picked up a standard joystick extension cable to use with my
>>mouse.  Although my mouse spins well enough with it, though, the
>>two buttons do not register at all with the cable.

This problem is caused by the fact that the four position joysticks commonly
used on Atari, C64, Amiga, et al. do not use all nine pins of the DB9 port.
To save money, some joystick extensions similarly do not pass these pin
signals.  As a result, the mouse button presses get ignored because they
never get received.  So, the moral of the story: when using/buying a
joystick extension for use with the Amiga check to see that all pins are
present and passed through to the other side.  BTW, the extenders at
Rad-Shack do this and work very well (and a very good source for molded
DB9 cords for trackball mods).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| kim @beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Home of the Garden Weasles)                  |
|        "... ENGAGE!" -- Jean Luc Picard, STTNG                      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (11/23/89)

In Message <8911202324.AA04585@astro.psu.edu>, antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
>Hi!  I picked up a standard joystick extension cable to use with my
>mouse.  Although my mouse spins well enough with it, though, the
>two buttons do not register at all with the cable.
>The mouse works fine without the extension, as does my trackball.
>The trackball buttons, though, also don't work with the cable.
>When I use the cable on that port with a joystick, the buttons work
>fine.

  I had to make a 1" mouse port extension way back (don't ask why) and
  found out that the connector hood must be connected as well. A ground
  maybe, im not sure.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////           BERKS AMIGA BBS

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (11/30/89)

In article <793@wet.UUCP> mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:
>I picked up a joystick extension cable designed to work with the
>Commodore 64 at Radio Shack. Don't remember the part number but it cost
>less than $5.

In a related vein... I've been looking for "Y" adapters for the joystick
ports, to minimize wear and tear from joystick switching.  I.e., one
DB-9 plug going to two DB-9 sockets.  Radio Shack *used* to carry them,
but evidently, no more.  Can anyone suggest a source?

	Thanks,
	Charles Poirier

poirier%dg-rtp.dg.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

In article <793@wet.UUCP> mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:
>I picked up a joystick extension cable designed to work with the
>Commodore 64 at Radio Shack. Don't remember the part number but it cost
>less than $5.

In a related vein... I've been looking for "Y" adapters for the joystick
ports, to minimize wear and tear from joystick switching.  I.e., one
DB-9 plug going to two DB-9 sockets.  Radio Shack *used* to carry them,
but evidently, no more.  Can anyone suggest a source?

        Thanks,
        Charles Poirier

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (12/15/89)

In article <5388@nigel.udel.EDU> poirier%dg-rtp.dg.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
[repost of my question about Y adapters deleted]

My original article was reposted without my permission by the above cuny
site.  I wish cuny would stop doing that.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier