[comp.sys.amiga] Ornary game is crashing my system

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (12/02/89)

Recently I purchased Shadow of the Beast but it crashes my system
about 35% of the time. I own a vintage A1000 (circa Sept.85) with
1.5M internal (Aminetics). I am wondering if I am suffering from
disk alignment problems or is the software faulty. It seems to only
happen during game play or when displaying the initial "you are here"
text and graphics; ie. it is always when disk 2 is in the drive.
One of three things usually happens:
1) screen goes black and the system locks
2) displayed static image is fouled up and is followed by symptom #1
3) displayed static image is fouled up and following game play is o.k.
I have seen other games do similar things on my system but far far less
frequently. Any one have a clue what is going on or seen this before???
What can be done to remedy this?
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9583               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (12/05/89)

In article <1090@savax.UUCP>, thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
> Recently I purchased Shadow of the Beast but it crashes my system
> about 35% of the time. I own a vintage A1000 (circa Sept.85) with
> 1.5M internal (Aminetics). I am wondering if I am suffering from
> disk alignment problems or is the software faulty. It seems to only
> happen during game play or when displaying the initial "you are here"
> text and graphics; ie. it is always when disk 2 is in the drive.
> One of three things usually happens:
> 1) screen goes black and the system locks
> 2) displayed static image is fouled up and is followed by symptom #1
> 3) displayed static image is fouled up and following game play is o.k.
> I have seen other games do similar things on my system but far far less
> frequently. Any one have a clue what is going on or seen this before???
> What can be done to remedy this?

You could have a specific problem with system configuration, faulty disk etc.
but most likely your problem is this: copy-protected custom disk formats are so
bloody fragile that if about 5 electrons drift out of position on the disk the
program won't load any more. I've seen loads of games people have bought that
worked for a while then failed. Try bringing it back to the shop and getting
another disk.

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin
VMS:  rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie
UNIX: rwallace@unix1.tcd.ie

me300234@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B III) (12/09/89)

That game does the same thing on my A1000 - and nothing is wrong with the disks

I brought a copy of Beast home from the computer store I work at, after work
one night.  It worked fine on the  A500 at work, but not so at home.  I think
it must be something specific to the A1000 that Shadow of the beast has
trouble with.  If it's any consolation - Beast won't work on a friend's 2500
either (it doesn't even come up).

-- John Stelly

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (12/15/89)

In article <4015@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I've seen loads of games people have bought that
>worked for a while then failed. Try bringing it back to the shop and getting
>another disk.

Don't do that; do send the disk back to the publisher and request a
replacement, stating politely but flatly that due to their copy protection,
it's their own fault the product failed.  Make them eat the price of return
postage as well.  Don't call them first and ask permission, because they
are sure to just say "no" over the phone.  I've never failed to receive
replacements with this method, and it just might get their attention if they
eat enough bad disks.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier