[comp.sys.amiga] Phantom of the Operating System

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (12/12/89)

This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't
say "delete * ask" because even though * comes up as a choice, it
doesn't get deleted.  And when I used Quarterback to back up the
drive, I eliminated * from the list but when I restored the drive,
* had returned to haunt me.  Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone have a solution?

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (12/12/89)

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:

>This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
>the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't

try the following (with quotation marks)...

	> delete "*."

The quotes should prevent the shell from expanding the `*' which will
match 0 thru any number of characters.  This is the UNIX way of doing
things.  Another way maybe to try:

	> delete ?.

The `?' should match a single character.  Of course a cheating way to
do it is copy (or move) all the other files in that dir to another dir
and then do

	> delete *

This should delete *everything* in that dir (and since you already
copied the stuff you want somewhere else, that doesn't matter).

Hope this helps,
Mike

|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (12/12/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
> This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
> the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
> I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
> on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
> because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't
> say "delete * ask" because even though * comes up as a choice, it
> doesn't get deleted.  And when I used Quarterback to back up the
> drive, I eliminated * from the list but when I restored the drive,
> * had returned to haunt me.  Anyone else have this problem?
> Anyone have a solution?

Try "delete ?", and make sure there are no there 1 character filenames in
that directory.

--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - PA) (12/12/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
>the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't
>say "delete * ask" because even though * comes up as a choice, it
>doesn't get deleted.  And when I used Quarterback to back up the
>drive, I eliminated * from the list but when I restored the drive,
>* had returned to haunt me.  Anyone else have this problem?
>Anyone have a solution?

You can use the "?" wildcard for this: delete ?

Of course, make sure you have no other single-character filenames in the
directory.
  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

Question : How to delete a file named *.

One Answer : Use the command DIR OPT I which is a directory with the
	Inquire option. Each file will be listed and and you will be
	given a prompt. You can type ENTER (if its a dir), DEL to delete
	it, <CR> to go to the next file, and TYPE I believe to type it.
	When it shows you the *. file type DEL

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/13/89)

Do you have a Hardframe controller?  I have the exact same problem.  It seems
that the device driver for the Hardframe puts a file called '*' in the last
partition on a drive.  I'm not sure if it really is the drive, but after
creating a third partition on my Quantum, the '*' moved from the second
dh1: to the third partition dh2:.  I am also using ARP, but it seems highly
unlikely that it would choose to affect only the third partition.

I have found no way to delete the '*' permanently as on every reboot it
reappears.  My recommendation is to just ignore it.

Brian Yamanaka
bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (12/13/89)

From article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, by bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan):
>> I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>> on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
[... omitted ...]
>> * had returned to haunt me.  Anyone else have this problem?
>> Anyone have a solution?

I've done this and managed to create a file named #?.
When this happens, use the interactive mode of the DIR command and
type DEL when the offending filename is displayed.

Art Mercer
Associate Director, Academic Computing Resources
Wright State University
Dayton, OH

BITNET:  amercer@wsu.bitnet

---

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (12/14/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
>the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't
>say "delete * ask" because even though * comes up as a choice, it
>doesn't get deleted.  And when I used Quarterback to back up the
>drive, I eliminated * from the list but when I restored the drive,
>* had returned to haunt me.  Anyone else have this problem?
>Anyone have a solution?

You might try copying all of the files you want to keep to another directory --
(make a special directory just for those files).  And do a recursive remove
on the directory with the problem.  Then move the special directory back to
the one that had the problem.

hope that helps...

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (12/14/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
> . . .
> I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
> on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
> because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't
> . . .
In addition to the user configurable "ARP escape character" that has the
recommended character value '\' rather than the native AmigaDOS '*',
there is a special ARP escape for special-characters-in-filenames.

                 It is ' itself.

Thus,    delete '*     will delete the file with name equal to the string
"*".  To delete the file with name equal to the string "*.", use the command

delete '*.

(the '.' is part of the command).

This escape for special characters in filenames applies also to the other
special-characters-in-filenames including ()[]|'#?   (if they survived this
mailing).  But note: to delete the file named "<" the ' escape is not right
since the character '<' is not a special-character-in-filenames even though
it is special to the shell.  In this case simply use    delete "<"
(and this is the end of the sentence).
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/14/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
>the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't

Have you tried sticking your original workbench disk in df1: and typing

	df1:c/delete *

Works for me...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (12/14/89)

In article <129135@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:

>Question : How to delete a file named *.
>
>One Answer : Use the command DIR OPT I which is a directory with the
etc...

Another answer:  Stop SCREWING around with the CLI... Go pick up JazzBench,
	select TEXT display and delete the file...

	:)  Sorry, couldn't resist.  Told myself that if I saw *one* more
		posting on the subject....

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (12/14/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need
>the help and don't have access to very old news.  So, here goes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't

You can try:

   dir opt i

for an "interactive" directory.  Type 'D' for any file you want to
delete, namely '*'.

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (12/15/89)

In article <14095@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>>This may be a previously discovered/cured problem, but I need

The single quote character is the escape character for AmigaDOS
wildcards.

So to delete a file called ?

just use

delete '?

andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"When I was a little boy I wanted to be a fireman.  Now I am."

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (12/15/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"

Ah, maybe I can help.  The next time you get a file named * or ? or "" (as I
did), get a copy of Browser (written by Peter "never going to change my sig"
da Silva I believe).  With it you can select files like this by pointing to
them and then just select delete from the menu, poof...

I believe Browser appeared on one of the fish disks.

John Munsch

w-edwinh@microsoft.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (12/15/89)

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't

I believe ARP includes an escape character mechanism. If you do:

delete `*

The single backquote will escape the wildcard that follows it. This
should work for # and ? as well.

Another neat thing about ARP wildcards:

You can use % as the empty file name, in leiu of "". Thus, you can say:

cp df1:* %

to mean "copy everything in the root of df1: to the current directory."

Gotta love it.

Edwin
Reading legalese mush can turn your brain to guacamole. - RKMs A&I

theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) (12/15/89)

In article <44410@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:

>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't

>Anyone have a solution?

Have you tried:

          delete "*"

This forces deletion only of the filename that matches that ASCII
character.

Paul

drues@cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (12/15/89)

w-edwinh@microsoft.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) writes:
>bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>>I'm using ARP 1.3 :-) and somehow, I managed to create a file
>>on my harddrive called *.  Major oops.  You can't say "delete *"
>>because ARP kicks in an deletes the entire directory.  You can't

>Another neat thing about ARP wildcards:
>You can use % as the empty file name, in leiu of "". Thus, you can say:
>cp df1:* %
>to mean "copy everything in the root of df1: to the current directory."

Also, you can use a period `.' for the current dir (like UNIX), i.e.,

	> cp df1:* .

to do the same thing.  A minor observation, since ARP is so simialr to
UNIX, why use " ' " to turn off a reserved character instead of a
" / " like in UNIX?