[comp.sys.amiga] What should be in future SKsh versions?

koren%hpfelg.hp.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

> On the filename expansion, if an exact match is not available, then
> expand as much as possible.  For example, in a directory with the
> filenames "foobar" and "foobat", when you type the expand key, it
> should expand to "fooba" and beep to tell you that an exact match
> wasn't made.  At this point, you can manually type the "r" or the "t"
> yourself.

Try it, it works.  It has always done as much of the expansion as it can
do.

> Also, could you put the '-F' flag on your 'ls' program?  This flag will
> let you tell the difference between files and directories.  It puts a
> '/' after files that are directories, '@' after files that are links,
> '*' after files that are executables, and nothing after everything else.

There is a -F option on the 'ls' command in SKsh 1.2, although it works
slightly differently than in Un*x (you can change colors, for example).

> that, or allow us a way to replace your built-in 'ls' with one of our

You can do that, too.  Use something like:

   alias ls='$(which ls)'
or
   alias ls='sys:bin/ls'

        - steve

peter%sugar.hackercorp.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/07/89)

In article <13920021@hpfelg.HP.COM> koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:
> You can do that, too.  Use something like:

>    alias ls='$(which ls)'

I hope this is a typo. Please tell me you don't to variable expansion inside
single-quotes.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

acs%pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/15/89)

2 comments and some questions:
   1) Why did you decide to implement the echo command instead of the
      print command?  After using ksh for several years I've gotten out
      of the habit of typing echo.  If you wanna say you're compatible
      with ksh I would suggest that you either alias print to echo or
      get rid of the echo command, replace it with print and alias echo
      to print.
   2) One of the features that I use all the time is -s which causes the
      results to the print to go into the history.  I pre-load some cmds
      when I get ready to go into an edit-compile cycle.

Now for the questions:
   1) Do you support the backslash escapes in echo?  This would make
      porting scripts easier (for me, at least).
   2) Does echo support "--" so I can echo things which contain a "-"?
   3) Why did you elect to only support part of the fc command (which
      you've implemented as history)?  In particular I'd like to have
      r supported (again, I'm used to just typing r to re-execute the
      last command).  I realize that I can alias r to "history -e" to
      accomplish the equivalent but again, r is already an alias in ksh.
   4) Another thing I do a lot is fc -e 45 to cause command 45 to be
      loaded into my editor so I can do major hacking.  I see no way to
      accomplish this short of going outside of sksh.

I guess, on the whole, I'd like to see print and fc more fully supported.

The above comments/questions may make it sound like I'm unappreciative of
your efforts.  On the contrary, I think it's high time that we had a ksh
available for the Amiga and I congratulate you for your fine effort.
---
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]