[comp.sys.amiga] Help! A2630 hates my 2000

bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/12/89)

I just got my A2630 as of December 8 (Friday) and all is not well.  After
many problems with random GURU's, trying every configuration possible,
replacing all of the chips on the motherboard, the silly thing finally
worked with all the boards in another Amiga.  What gives?  The only difference
between the two motherboards is that I have a 4.1 and we put it into a 4.2.

Well we thought everything had been solved - probably a defective motherboard
or at least a picky one - but no.  Now it appears that sometimes on powerup
the unit locks up on the white screen.  When this is occurring, a warm reboot
and a double mouse press later into 68000 mode, the unit goes into a
constant black-grey-black screen cycle.  This problem happens intermittently
usually after powering down for a period of 30 seconds and powering up again.
I can get around this problem by waiting a few minutes before trying to power
up again.

Another more frequent but less urgent problem has to do with the 2088 bridge-
board.  Sometimes Janus recognizes its presence and at other times it ignores
it.  This is usually remedied by restarting from a cold boot, but this is
complicated by the above.  The binddrivers appears successful because the PC
side boots, but the Amiga side just complains that Janus.library is not
available.

Please can someone help!  Hopefully someone at Commodore such as Dave Haynie
can give some advice.

This is my current setup:

	Amiga B2000 rev 4.2
	2nd floppy drive
	A2088 Bridgeboard w/ Miniscribe Hardcard and Multi-Function Card
	Micron 2MB card
	MicroBotics HardFrame w/Quantum 40S
	A2630 w/2MB
	A-MAX w/M.A.S.T. Amigatosh drive

Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Brian Yamanaka
bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (12/14/89)

In article <111400068@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> Brian Yamanak writes:
%Well we thought everything had been solved - probably a defective motherboard
%or at least a picky one - but no.  Now it appears that sometimes on powerup
%the unit locks up on the white screen.  When this is occurring, a warm reboot
%and a double mouse press later into 68000 mode, the unit goes into a
%constant black-grey-black screen cycle.  This problem happens intermittently
%usually after powering down for a period of 30 seconds and powering up again.
%I can get around this problem by waiting a few minutes before trying to power
%up again.

Hmmm...  post the answer, or send directly to me at navas@cory.berkeley.edu,
becase my 500 is caught in the *black* part of the startup-screen-sequence...

Thanks

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu
%Brian Yamanaka
%University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
%bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

in article <111400068@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu says:
> Nf-ID: #N:uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:111400068:000:1848
> Nf-From: uxa.cso.uiuc.edu!bty00298    Dec 10 00:17:00 1989

> I just got my A2630 as of December 8 (Friday) and all is not well.  After
> many problems with random GURU's, trying every configuration possible,
> replacing all of the chips on the motherboard, the silly thing finally
> worked with all the boards in another Amiga.  What gives?  The only difference
> between the two motherboards is that I have a 4.1 and we put it into a 4.2.

It sure couldn't hurt to have your motherboard brought up to Rev 4.5 status, or
thereabouts, if you really have a 4.1 or 4.2 motherboard (check the paper
sticker, not the PCB artwork).  But there's nothing other than the extra pullup
on BAS* (1k between pins 20 and 11 on U605) that's an obvious difference.

> Well we thought everything had been solved - probably a defective motherboard
> or at least a picky one - but no.  Now it appears that sometimes on powerup
> the unit locks up on the white screen.  When this is occurring, a warm reboot
> and a double mouse press later into 68000 mode, the unit goes into a
> constant black-grey-black screen cycle.

I'm not sure I know what's you're saying here.  Of course, I've been up all
night, it might make more sense after a few hours sleep.  BUT in any case, a
lockup on a cold start definitely sounds like some flakiness.  Switching into
68000 mode on a warm start can definitely cause problems, though.  Exec isn't
really graceful yet about switching CPU types, so if you boot up in 68030
mode, then reset back to the 68000, Exec may very well warm boot assuming you
have a 68030, and get real confused.  A minute or two of power down (whatever
these DRAM need lately) and a cold boot into 68000 mode should always work.

> Another more frequent but less urgent problem has to do with the 2088 bridge-
> board.  Sometimes Janus recognizes its presence and at other times it ignores
> it.  This is usually remedied by restarting from a cold boot, but this is
> complicated by the above.  The binddrivers appears successful because the PC
> side boots, but the Amiga side just complains that Janus.library is not
> available.

This is apparently a known problem with the current janus software.  The software
is kicking in before the PC has it's refresh turned on, and this is considered
an error, so janus kicks itself out of memory.  It looks like the board never
gets configured, but if you list your configured devices, you'll see it's there.
While the problem is aggrevated by a fast Amiga, it's possible for this to
happen on any Amiga.

> Please can someone help!  Hopefully someone at Commodore such as Dave Haynie
> can give some advice.

> 	Micron 2MB card
> 	MicroBotics HardFrame w/Quantum 40S

Do the symptoms change with either or both of these removed.  If you have a very
old HardFrame, you may need an update to it -- there was a minor bug in the early
ones that caused problems with A2620 and probably A2630 (it was fixed before we
put together an A2630 and HardFrame in the same machine; today, they work fine
together).

> Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Did the setup work properly in the other 2000, or was it still flakey?  While it
would be rather astonishing, it's always possible there's a problem with the
A2630; verifying that independently of your A2000 is a good idea.  If you can
send me any more details I might be able to think of something.  After I catch
some ZZzzzzzs....

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough