[comp.sys.amiga] Dont read this if you want to go to Disk Hell

root@csmil.umich.edu (Zurich Operator) (12/14/89)

---------------------------------
DON'T use MRBackup of fish disk 270!!
From: chymes@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes)

Talk about a Trojen Horse.
A month ago, I had my first hard drive scramble.
I didn't use a real backup program, so it took me a while to regain all my
software. Now, I have completely re-installed  all that software, and I deside
that its time for a real backup program. I get MRbackup from ff270, and Backup
from ff258. I use MRbackup 'cause it was on a later disk, and looked much
more useful.
 Heh Heh Heh. MRBackup not only crashed every time I tried to use it, 5 times,
IT GOD DAMM TRASHED MY FU*&*%$ HARD DISK!!!!!
Luckily, good old Matt came to the rescue and I got MOST of my stuff saved
after 2 hours of backing up.
I used the disk-fixer wich came with my SCSI driver, and it supposedly
"RESTORED" my file system. BUT I still cant write to the drive because
even after rebooting, it wont validate.
How do  you fix a damaged (hard) disk so that it will be validated? Is there
 any way to fix a disk so that it will validate? I've got lots
of uncorrupted files. If I got a disk sector editor, coul I use it to solve
my problem? If I did fix it, how do you tell AmigaDOS that it's fixed?
I would be VERY greatful if someone could help me out of this mess. The
idea of re-installing all that software and data from floppy makes me sick.
Please!!
Thank You.
Charles Hymes

Mark Rinfret, if you see this,
 FLAME ON....
ARRRGHH!!!!! GRRRR!! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
 FLAME OFF...
send me mail, some of the bugs I could identify, even if I didn't see the disk
damage till it was to late.
C.H.

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec13.225129.28751@csmil.umich.edu> chymes@csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:
>---------------------------------
>DON'T use MRBackup of fish disk 270!!
>
>Talk about a Trojen Horse.
>
> Heh Heh Heh. MRBackup not only crashed every time I tried to use it, 5 times,
>IT GOD DAMM TRASHED MY FU*&*%$ HARD DISK!!!!!

The version on disk 279 (which has been out for almost a month) is an update
to the one on disk 270.  It was even documented in my posting of the contents
for disks 271-282 as fixing a serious bug in the version on disk 270.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf