[comp.sys.amiga] JazzBench and: Good Zorro I hard drive controller??

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (12/15/89)

I should probably be mailing this, but, oh well...
Of course, Bela, Jazzbench was meant as a serious, and yet not so serious
joke.  When at least 15 messages are posted about a simple task like
deleting a file, one begins to wonder at the "ease-of-use" issue.

This is, I hope, the whole point to Jazzbench.

Jazzbench has bugs:  yeah, sure does, that's why it's alpha.. :(
Jazzbench is cool:   yeah, sure is, that's why I don't use workbench
			anymore at all.

My A500 is *still* dead.  It was alive for about 5 days.  Yes, that's all,
five days.  An 8520 died in my computer.  And now something is wrong with my
hard drive controller.  A-Max is cool, though... ;(
IE:  I won't be doing any work on Jazzbench until I get a working computer.
	And that, I think, is all anyone could ask for, eh?  Not
	asking for miracles -- a 68040 or anything like that, just a
	bloody computer system that works.. sigh... :(

If *anyone* knows of a fast DMA hard drive controller that I could stick in
my ancient Expansion Technologies 500 [ie. Zorro I slots] I'd sure appreciate
some e-mail... thanks!

I'll be connecting it to a 70 meg. Rodime drive [SCSI].
Pointers appreciated!
David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (12/16/89)

In article <20701@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
   >If *anyone* knows of a fast DMA hard drive controller that I could stick in
   >my ancient Expansion Technologies 500 [ie. Zorro I slots] I'd sure appreciate
   >some e-mail... thanks!
   >
   >I'll be connecting it to a 70 meg. Rodime drive [SCSI].
   >Pointers appreciated!

Dave,
    I have an old Turbo Amiga from CSA and it has Zorro I slots, five of 'em.
To make a long story short I wouldn't trust any of the Zorro II half-cards
that use DMA with the Zorro I spec' as some of the control lines necessary
changed from Zorro I --> II.  Still, what I've found that works is a Supra
WordSync SCSI controller.  Only about two hundred bucks and it worked first
time!  Even with this CSA '020 card!  It's not DMA but I've been very
impressed with its speed, both writing and reading.  The only problem is that
neither edge of the card reaches a card guide.  Right now, the socket and some
wire through the mounting holes are hold the little bugger up although it was
doing quite well with just the socket.  BTW, I'm using the WordSync card with
a Quantum Q40 -- maybe that's why it's soooo fast.  I guess the '020 doesn't
hurt either.

    If anyone wants further details about my adventures with Supra (which,
believe it or not, have been good!) please send me E-mail.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"