[comp.sys.amiga] ARP1.3 Assign queries

In <3030@usceast.UUCP>, yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
>I put the following lines in my startup-sequence:
>	Makedir ram:t ram:env ram:clips
>	Assign T: ram:t ENV: ram:env CLIPS: ram:clips
>
>Makedir creates all three directories (as it should), but Assign only performs
>the first assignment (T: is the only of the 3 logicals that is attached to
>anything after the machine boots).
>
>The weird thing is, that if I perform the Assignment from the CLI after the
>machine has booted, Assign is more than happy to play with multiple arguments.

Sounds like you have the Amigados ASSIGN command in your path ahead of (or
instead of) your ARP ASSIGN _at the time you call it_. Later, your path
changes, and the ARP ASSIGN is invoked.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (12/15/89)

I put the following lines in my startup-sequence:
	Makedir ram:t ram:env ram:clips
	Assign T: ram:t ENV: ram:env CLIPS: ram:clips

Makedir creates all three directories (as it should), but Assign only performs
the first assignment (T: is the only of the 3 logicals that is attached to
anything after the machine boots).

The weird thing is, that if I perform the Assignment from the CLI after the
machine has booted, Assign is more than happy to play with multiple arguments.

Am I making some foolish error?  The ARP docs certianly seem to think I am
doing the right thing.

System:
	A2000 (KS1.3,WB1.3.2,ARP1.3)
	1Meg Agnus
	2 floppies

Any help would be appreciated!

Ken
yarnall@cs.scarolina.edu

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (12/16/89)

In article <3030@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:

>Makedir creates all three directories (as it should), but Assign only performs
>the first assignment (T: is the only of the 3 logicals that is attached to
>anything after the machine boots).
>The weird thing is, that if I perform the Assignment from the CLI after the
>machine has booted, Assign is more than happy to play with multiple arguments.

Sounds like you've got two versions of Assign in your system.  It is possible
that the startup-sequence is executing the C= Assign (which does not handle
multiple assignments), then it sets up your path so that any further calls
to assign invoke the ARP assign.  Does this sound possible?

Try typing  which assign  to see how many versions of assign are in your path
and in what order they are accessed.

--
John Lindwall                     |   "Not my employer opinions; mine"
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM     |   a man, a plan, a beer, reeban alpa nama