[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga gov't contract?!

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (12/08/89)

Guess what!  I just heard that Commodore got a contract from the gov't to
supply them with Amigas.(including NASA)  I dunno if anyone read this in the
news something, but I read this in Atari(I know.  boo!  hiss!) ST Report.(it is
an electronic magazine)  Perhaps this is due to Zenith, a major computer
supplier for the US gov't, being sold to a European computer giant and our
Uncle Sam didn't feel too comfortable.  If anyone has anymore info on this,
please feel free to post because I am sure there are alot of people that
would be interested.(i know I am!)

                                             Sun...
P.S. The ODeaN should be out by this time next week!
P.P.S.  Wayne Gretzky Hockey's copy protection stinks!  I dunno what they put
in but the "Super Agnus" compatible version doesn't even recognize the extra
chip ram and doesn't show the fighting scenes.  Worse yet, when I warm-boot
my system after playing that game, my Amiga only shows 512 chip ram and that
is it.  nothing more and nothing less.  What kind of protection scheme are
they using??  This is bunch of bull!  Anyone else have this trouble?

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (12/12/89)

>Guess what!  I just heard that Commodore got a contract from the gov't to
>supply them with Amigas.(including NASA) ...

FYI:
My military-type brothers tell me that Amigas are one of the few systems that
can be purchased through a PX.

John M. Olsen, Graphics Software Engineer
olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM  -or-  ...!hplabs!hpfcdq!olsen
(W) Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525
(H) 700 E. Drake Rd. #E12, Ft Collins, CO 80525

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (12/15/89)

In article <4710006@hpfcdq.HP.COM> olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:
>>Guess what!  I just heard that Commodore got a contract from the gov't to
>>supply them with Amigas.(including NASA) ...
>
>FYI:
>My military-type brothers tell me that Amigas are one of the few systems that
>can be purchased through a PX.

I purchased my Amiga 2000 from the Navy Exchange here in Monterey.  They also
carry the 500, part of C='s MS-DOS line, IBM PS/2, Zenith, (these two on
the educational pricing structure since this is a school), Packard-Bell clones,
and the Apple IIgs.

Amiga's are also available through the Army Air Force Exchange Service
catalog.

I haven't seen any mention of a large federal Amiga buy, although C= did
recently announce a marketing agreement for the federal sector with SMS
Data Products Group.

-- Soapbox: ON.

-- IMHO, until there is an Ada compiler for the Amiga, a major portion of the
-- federal market will remain closed to it.

-- Soapbox: OFF.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Brandon G. Lovested) (12/16/89)

In article <482@cs.nps.navy.mil>, schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:

> -- Soapbox: ON.
>
> -- IMHO, until there is an Ada compiler for the Amiga, a major portion of the
> -- federal market will remain closed to it.
>
> -- Soapbox: OFF.
>
> Jeff Schweiger

Yep, I think you're absolutely right.  It is too bad.  Ada has a number
of advantages, but to virtually mandate 1 computer language is unwise.
The advantage of coordinating development is clear, though 1 language
cannot do everything, at least not everything "well".

Go O.O.P.!

Brandon G. Lovested          |	"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped,
brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM  |	 My life is my own."