[comp.sys.amiga] 2500UX/Purchase Query

shawn@mit-eddie (Shawn F. Mckay) (11/30/89)

Happy Holidays to all! I wonder if someone might be able to
help me answer a few questions I have been trying to get
help with for a little while now about the Amiga-2500 + Unix(tm).

With some luck, sometime within the next few months, I'm planning
to buy a Unix box of some type, from what I'v seen, I would REALLY
like it to be an Amiga-2500.

The things I need to know first however are as follows:

	1) Seems like CBM has been promising Unix for a while,
	   Does anyone have any idea just *HOW* close it is to
	   market? I simply must have a unix when I buy it, so
	   this is a major factor causing me worry. Are there any
	   options here?

	2) How much UNIX will CBM be giving us, I notice a lot of
	   companies chopping up unix into an ugly/expensive mess,
	   if so, or even if not, is there any idea what it will cost?
	   Or will they be sending it as standard? (Dream on, right? :-))

	3) How *Open* Is the 2500? I like to play, I mean I *Really*
	   like to play, at what level am I going to run into the
	   wall of secrecy? Or is it 100% open like the old Apple II+'s
	   used to be? (Software excluded).

	4) From what I see the amiga comes with a nice amount
	   of memory, but what will be needed to make a busy system
	   "fast". (Busy = 2 active ports w/editors, + 4 or 5 daemons
	   active, maybe a uux?).

	5) It seems clear CBM won't be able to write drivers right off
	   at least for *ALL* the boards you can toss in the amiga,
	   being able to write a driver when supplied the right amount
	   of information, my question is will I be able to get the info
	   I need from CBM to toss a new device into the system?

	6) What's a minimum config look like? What's Max?

	7) If I recall correctly, the A2500 runs a 68030 primary, and
	   so the 68000 is left doing what? Will I be able to access
	   it through a driver or such?

	8) Can an individual get into the developer program? And if so, will
	   this ease the price of the system? (I.e., is this something to do
	   pre-purchase?). What kind of agreement does CBM make with you?

	9) Finally, I have been having lots of trouble from dealers
	   getting my questions answered, I hate to post questions that
	   have probably been asked, but I have been unable to find a
	   really good source of official sales information locally,
	   can someone recomend a good local sales rep? (To the Boston/
	   S. N.H. Area?)?

I know this has been drawn out, but thank you for any assistance.

			-- Shawn

Usenet: mit-eddie!shawn
Internet: shawn@eddie.mit.edu

shawn%mit-eddie%udacsvm.bitnet%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

[...]

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (12/07/89)

In article <5464@nigel.udel.EDU>, shawn%mit-eddie%udacsvm.bitnet%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

        [ I'm posting this because I *know* that mail will bounce on that
          address from here  ( Australia ) ]

> Happy Holidays to all! I wonder if someone might be able to
> help me answer a few questions I have been trying to get
> help with for a little while now about the Amiga-2500 + Unix(tm).

>         1) Seems like CBM has been promising Unix for a while,

        The A2500-UX (tm) was advertised here in Australia, Sept '88 ( or
there abouts ) running System V rev 3.2. I also heard that it was
announced in Europe as well, but I can't confirm that. I'm only guessing
when I say that a not unreasonable time to expect it will be the same time
as AmigaDos 1.4 ( but CBM haven't announced the date for that yet. sigh )

        While I'm on the subject of release dates, whats been happening with
the Amiga transputer boards ? I saw a photo of one in INFO early this year,
and that's it. I've yet to hear anything else ( I'm refering to the CBM
boards of course, so don't mail me about the Sang units. )

>         2) How much UNIX will CBM be giving us, I notice a lot of

        I never got to "peek under the hood", but I was assured by a
moderately reliable source that functionally, it was as genuine Sys V.
        The current promise is Sys V rev 4, with a WIMP interface,
called AMIX (tm?). I have no reason to believe that it will not be
pure Sys V ( with allowences for the hardware platform it will be run on )

>         3) How *Open* Is the 2500? I like to play, I mean I *Really*

        What do you mean ? The 2500 is a 2000 with an '020 board, 2 megs
of 32 bit memory and a hard disk. There are 5 ZORRO II slots ( unique to
the amiga ) and 2 XT and 2 AT slots on a seperate AT bus. Is being able to
use hardware and software from two totally different computer systems at the
same time open enough for you ?

>         4) From what I see the amiga comes with a nice amount

        Pass

>         5) It seems clear CBM won't be able to write drivers right off

        Pass

>         6) What's a minimum config look like? What's Max?

        The advertised configuration was 25Mhz '020, 2 megs of 32 bit ram
        ( on the 020 board, with space for more ) 1 meg 16 bit ram ( on
        on motherboard ) 100 meg disk and an 80 meg tape cartridge system
        ( or was that an 80 meg disk and a 100 meg cartridge system )
        Max configuration ? Lots. memory, disk space, transputers ( see 1 )
        pro quality video board. Hey C=, how about a 3000-UX, with lots 8-)

>         7) If I recall correctly, the A2500 runs a 68030 primary, and
>            so the 68000 is left doing what? Will I be able to access
>            it through a driver or such?

        When the 2500-UX does see the light of day en masse, it may very well
        be an '030 system, as CBM have announced an '030 board. The 68000
        does nothing, or at least this was the case for the sys V 3.2 machine.
        This *may* change, but thats only a guess, and wishful thinking on my
        part.

>         8) Can an individual get into the developer program? And if so, will

        Pass

>         9) Finally, I have been having lots of trouble from dealers

        Join the club ;-)

        Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                           Alias: Gareth Bull

Discl: I have no affiliation with CBM apart from being a satisfied user of
       their products.  all opinions expressed....etc.

ken@cbmcats.UUCP (Ken Farinsky) (12/08/89)

In article <5464@nigel.udel.EDU> shawn%mit-eddie%udacsvm.bitnet%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>           Does anyone have any idea just *HOW* close it is to market?

System V rel 3.2 is to some developers now.  Release 4 (SVR4) should be out
to developers soon.  Market timing depends on a million things, including
how fast ATT finishes SVR4, and how fast we get it ported.
The release is scheduled to be SVR4.  There is no firm date yet.

Did everyone see us running SVR4 at the rollout (by ATT)?
I hear that we were one of four venders with running systems...

>        2) How much UNIX will CBM be giving us?

We hope to ship the entire release, 100%.

>           is there any idea what it will cost?

No, but it will be more than a 2500 with a 2630, and less than a cray.
There may be educational discounts...no policy has been set.

>        3) How *Open* Is the 2500?

You should be able to do anything you want, either on the amiga
or the unix side.

>        4) From what I see the amiga comes with a nice amount
>           of memory, but what will be needed to make a busy system
>           "fast".

5 meg is ok.  More is always better!

>           will I be able to get the info
>           I need from CBM to toss a new device into the system?

Yes.  See the SVR4 docs, implementation specifics will come from
Commodore.

>        6) What's a minimum config look like? What's Max?

Current minimum (2500 solution; assume a 2630, 25MHz 68030 & 68882):
	1MB chip mem, 2MB fast 32-bit mem, 100MB SCSI drive, 150MB SCSI tape.
Max (same basic machine):
	1MB chip mem, 4MB fast 32-bit mem, 4MB fast 16-bit mem,
	up to 32MB fast 32-bit ram on a 2630 daughterboard (or is it 64MB?),
	as much disk as you can afford, etc...
There will be new platforms (but you already know that.)

Did everyone see color x-windows running on the ULowell board under
unix at the toronto WOC?  1024x768, 256 colors.  It was only a
technology preview, but it looked good!

Perhaps we'll lose the "game machine" image.

>        7) If I recall correctly, the A2500 runs a 68030 primary, and
>           so the 68000 is left doing what?

The 68000 is shut down.

>        8) Can an individual get into the developer program? And if so, will
>           this ease the price of the system? (I.e., is this something to do
>           pre-purchase?). What kind of agreement does CBM make with you?

To request an application for the Commodore Amiga Developer Programs,
lists of CATS technical publications, or information regarding electronic
developer support, send a self-addressed, stamped, 9" x 12" envelope to:

	CATS-Information
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, PA  19380-4231

If you have a good application to port to our unix box, send us a note.
Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken

Bull%vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au%udacsvm.bitnet%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/16/89)