[comp.sys.amiga] Z-Modem Death

David.Slonosky@QueensU.CA (12/16/89)

  I just bought my Amiga 500 (used) and have been having a wild old time
 downloading stuff from the local BBSs. Lately, however, I have been
 having a problem with using Z-Modem protocols with ANY of my term
 programs, on ANY board I phone. X-Modem (1K) works just fine in all cases
 and isn't too shabby in terms of speed. But I ask -- why all of a sudden
 has Z-Modem started crapping out? Is it my modem? My cable (a standard 25
 pin job)? My serial port in my Amiga? How can I test to see what is going
 wrong?
  Thank you!

David.Slonosky@QueensU.CA          "It was then that I realised that scientists
SLONOSKY@QUCDN.QueensU.CA           could have a social life as well."
                                    J. Watson, "The Double Helix" (not exact)

martens@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (12/17/89)

In article <3417*David.Slonosky@QueensU.CA> David.Slonosky@QueensU.CA writes:

>  I just bought my Amiga 500 (used) and have been having a wild old time
> downloading stuff from the local BBSs. Lately, however, I have been
> having a problem with using Z-Modem protocols with ANY of my term
> programs, on ANY board I phone. X-Modem (1K) works just fine in all cases
> and isn't too shabby in terms of speed. But I ask -- why all of a sudden
> has Z-Modem started crapping out? Is it my modem? My cable (a standard 25
> pin job)? My serial port in my Amiga? How can I test to see what is going
> wrong?

Probably you're going to have to give more information if you want
help, but I'll take a shot at this.

If you just have 512KB RAM, and you're using Online, modem transfers
(as well as many other things) sporadically don't work, giving no
indication of the problem.  This is almost certainly due to running
out of memory.  The solution is to abort the frozen transfer and do
one or more of the following:
	1) terminate tasks,
	2) kill windows,
	3) shrink windows,
and then you should have enough memory to proceed.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)			|The Green Bay
							|Packers:  this year
On the first day of Christmas, the Eagles threw at me,	|respectabliity, next
a size C alkaline bat-ter-y....				| year, MNF.