[comp.sys.amiga] BOING! BOING! BOING!

pyr464@psc90.UUCP (Fred Slama) (12/08/89)

Attention those who own a BOING! Mouse... Do any of you have a program that
enables the use of the middle button.. I have owned my Boing mouse for
about a year and have tried a variety of programs, none of which seem to do
the tricks. Thanks in advance to any of you who can shed some light on this
very annoying search for a program...

						-Fred

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (12/09/89)

 Fred,
   Hello. I have had a Boing! mouse for about 9 months. To date the
 only program I have found is MiddleButton by Michael Sinz. This program
 converts middle mouse button (MMB) events into shift key qualifiers.
 Convenient if you want to do a one handed extended select.
   Judging by your mood, I am not sure you grok the situation. The
 problem is that Intuition eats MMB events. The input.device passes them
 on as it should. ie. you are not going to find a program that "enables"
 the use of the MMB. I am told that 1.4 will support the MMB.
   I modified MiddleButton to turn MMB events into LAmiga-M events. I
 think that one could turn them into any kind of event one wishes.
 <-Harvey

 "And she gets you on her wavelength, and she lets the river answer."-LC
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) (12/13/89)

In article <1084@psc90.UUCP> pyr464@psc90.UUCP (Fred Slama) writes:
>Attention those who own a BOING! Mouse... Do any of you have a program that
>enables the use of the middle button.. I have owned my Boing mouse for
>about a year and have tried a variety of programs, none of which seem to do
>the tricks. Thanks in advance to any of you who can shed some light on this
>very annoying search for a program...

There are a few programs out there that support 3-button mice, and others
that can be configured to use them. For example, I use the center mouse
button with DME on a regular basis, and from what I am told, the X11 server
uses the center mouse button standard. I have also heard rumors that the
new Amiga UNIX SVR4 uses it as well. But as for commercially available
software I really don't know of too many others.

You might check the mouse handlers (like dmouse, machII, etc) for support.
I don't use one myself, so I am not familiar with all their features. But I
would assume they would at least be able to be configured to support the
use of the center button.

Until 3 button mice become more predominant, its unlikely that too many
developers will write code to use the center mouse button unless they
themselves have a 3-button mouse. So, it might be time to lobby the
developer population for support of the center button. (I know I try to
support it in any of my projects that could use it). The only problem is,
that the programmers must write the code so that anyone can use it.
Regardless if the user has a 2 or 3 button mouse. So, the center mouse
button would usually be ignored or assigned to a task that can be handled
via a menu selection or toggle or something, if it is used at all. Many
developers don't think the added work is worth it for such a limited
audience.

Personally I prefer the configuration or remapping facilities of programs
like DME, so that if I want to use the center mouse button, I can assign it
to do what *I* want it to do, not what someone else thinks I may want it to
do.

>                                                -Fred

Hope that helps,

          Darrin
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (12/13/89)

In <8912121918.AA09841@sorinc.PacBell.COM>, magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM
(Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:
:
:In article <1084@psc90.UUCP> pyr464@psc90.UUCP (Fred Slama) writes:
:>Attention those who own a BOING! Mouse... Do any of you have a program
:>that enables the use of the middle button..
:
:  There are a few programs out there that support 3-button mice, and
:others that can be configured to use them. For example, I use the
:center mouse button with DME on a regular basis, [...]
:
 Darrin,
   There are more than a few of us who wonder how you are able to do
 this. We have been given to understand that Intuition (up to 1.3)
 eats MMB events, which the input device has passed it. I wrote a
 test program (under ADOS1.2) watching IDCMP messages & the middle
 mouse button hardware which verified this.
   So how do you do it?
   What version of DME are you using?
   What version of AmigaDOS are you using?
   Could you post the relevant portions of your .edrc?
   <curious as hell>
   <-Harvey

  "The impressiveness of the Republican facade
   only meant that the slavestate, which was to grow out of them,
                      would be all the more loathsome." -Tacitus

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/15/89)

In article <8912121918.AA09841@sorinc.PacBell.COM> magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM
(Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:

>I am told, the X11 server uses the center mouse button standard.

Dale Luck's X server under AmigaDos can be configured either way.

>I have also heard rumors that the new Amiga UNIX SVR4 uses it as
>well.

There are no plans for Amix to require a three button mouse.
Supporting it is another matter.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) (12/17/89)

In article <208@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>In article <8912121918.AA09841@sorinc.PacBell.COM> magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:
>>I am told, the X11 server uses the center mouse button standard.
>
>Dale Luck's X server under AmigaDos can be configured either way.
>
>>I have also heard rumors that the new Amiga UNIX SVR4 uses it as
>>well.
>
>There are no plans for Amix to require a three button mouse.
>Supporting it is another matter.

Of course. I wasn't trying to assume that it would be mandatory, rather a
configurable option. ;-)  Sorry if it was misleading.

>Pax, Keith
>ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

             -Darrin