[comp.sys.amiga] Posting the obvious

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (12/17/89)

In article <20701@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> David C. Navas writes:
>When at least 15 messages are posted about a simple task like
>deleting a file, one begins to wonder at the "ease-of-use" issue.

Well... in some cases I would agree.  In this case the flurry of posts
was caused by the asynchronicity of Usenet: the original message
propagated and got replied to at a whole bunch of sites before those
sites received any of the other replies.  (It doesn't help that the
newsreading software -- rn, at least -- doesn't tell you that further
articles of the same title exist).  This is a generic problem on Usenet
and must be dealt with by individual posters: if a question has a really
simple or obvious answer, HOLD OFF on it because 5 other people will
already have posted it.  If you haven't seen a response within 24 hours
THEN post.

[Yes, I can name a number of problems with this technique.  It is still
useful for certain posts.]

David: sent you mail about your hardware troubles.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @       * *     //  belal@sco.com  ..ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino    *   \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 and XBBS +408-476-4945