[comp.sys.amiga] LUCAS & Supra

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (12/14/89)

..

Anybody out there know if the Lucas board works with the A1000 Supra
harddisk controller?

Finally, a short message...
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (12/17/89)

In article <360@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) writes:
>..
>
>Anybody out there know if the Lucas board works with the A1000 Supra
>harddisk controller?

Yes and no. I have one, which works semi-reliably on a Lucas/Francis combination
IF I run the driver in 16 bit ram. It has occasional write errors to an Adaptec
4070 SCSI to ST506 card. This manifests itself as the card locking up and when iI
cycle the adaptec's power (the documented way to recover it), I get a read/write
error requestor. When I cancel it, the write continues with no loss of data.

If I run the driver in 32 bit ram, I usually lose a partition after a few write
attempts. I asked the Supra people about this as they were at the Toronto
World of Commodore. I talked to Alan Ackerman, vice president, who informed me
that there is a hardware defect on the 1000 and early 500 interfaces such that
it ALWAYS does blind writes (software always thinks SCSI device is ready for
more data even if it isn't). The adaptec works O.K. on a 7.16 meg 68000 system
as it can keep up to the Supra software. He suggested using a faster SCSI-ST506
card and recommended an OMTI. since I already have the adaptec, I wasn't ready
to embrace the idea. I purchased a 500 interface from him, which is redesigned
to work properly in this regard. I have yet to get it working on the 1000, but
am more than happy with their support since  he offered it for a very generous
price as compensation for the bug in the other one. It should work fine
IF you use a fast enough SCSI device.

		      <<<<<<DISCLAIMER>>>>>

 THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A FLAME AS I'M SATISFIED WITH WHAT SUPRA HAS
 TRIED TO DO FOR ME. JUST A FACTUAL STATEMENT

--
Doug Lee
douglee@becker