[comp.sys.amiga] wishful? I want to write an amiga disk from a sparcstation...

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (11/03/89)

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 89 15:20 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: wishful? I want to write an amiga disk from a sparcstation...
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

Is this wishful thinking?  We just got our first Sun SPARCstation here
and I was wondering if there's any chance of getting its 3.5 inch disk
drive to write some files onto a disk in amiga format (or something
which I could read on my amiga).  Even writing to PC format and reading
that with the amiga would work.  Am I crazy or what?

monty
kosma@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (11/09/89)

      Sell your Amiga and buy a SparcStation to use at home.  Your problems are
solved!  :-)

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (11/15/89)

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 89 16:39 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

I had a request or two to follow up on my findings on how to write an
amiga disk from a Sun workstation.  Here's my findings:

The easiest way to effect a transfer of files between a sparcstation and
an amiga is to buy the Sun product DOS-windows which allows among other
things reading and writing MS-DOS format disks on the SPARC's internal
3.5 inch drive.  Then, on the amiga end, I plan to use CrossDOS (I think
that's what it's called) to read the MS-DOS format files onto the amiga.
Definitely not ideal, and not really cheap (fortunately there's other
reasons for us to get DOS-windows at work so the $500 or whatever is
covered) but it seems that this will do (much better than Kermit, at
least!).

In <4120@nigel.udel.EDU>, "kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
>The easiest way to effect a transfer of files between a sparcstation and
>an amiga is to buy the Sun product DOS-windows which allows among other
>things reading and writing MS-DOS format disks on the SPARC's internal
>3.5 inch drive.  Then, on the amiga end, I plan to use CrossDOS (I think
>that's what it's called) to read the MS-DOS format files onto the amiga.
>Definitely not ideal, and not really cheap (fortunately there's other
>reasons for us to get DOS-windows at work so the $500 or whatever is
>covered) but it seems that this will do (much better than Kermit, at
>least!).

I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read
them though, so you might be able to transfer files from Amiga to SPARCStation,
but not the other way around.

-larry

--
My name is OS/2, Mandius, Kludge of Kludges.
Look upon my works, ye CS majors, and gag.

toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) (11/22/89)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
>SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read
>them though, so you might be able to transfer files from Amiga to SPARCStation,
>but not the other way around.

I've had no problem with writing 720k disks on a SPARCstation for reading
on the amiga. I did originally format them on the amiga.
--
	Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz

In <821@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
>SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read
>them though, so you might be able to transfer files from Amiga to SPARCStation,
>but not the other way around.

Larry, you silly twit. Take a look at the spec for the drive before you post
something liek this again.

The SPARCStation drive is indeed capable of reading and writing both 1.4 meg
and 720K doskettes.

-larry

--

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (11/23/89)

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 15:20 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    In <4120@nigel.udel.EDU>, "kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
    >The easiest way to effect a transfer of files between a sparcstation and
    >an amiga is to buy the Sun product DOS-windows which allows among other
    >things reading and writing MS-DOS format disks on the SPARC's internal
    >3.5 inch drive.  Then, on the amiga end, I plan to use CrossDOS (I think
    >that's what it's called) to read the MS-DOS format files onto the amiga.
    >Definitely not ideal, and not really cheap (fortunately there's other
    >reasons for us to get DOS-windows at work so the $500 or whatever is
    >covered) but it seems that this will do (much better than Kermit, at
    >least!).

    I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
    SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read
    them though, so you might be able to transfer files from Amiga to SPARCStation,
    but not the other way around.

    -larry

well, from what our Sun rep says, at least, the DOS-windows package on
the SPARCstation will allow us to read and write standard MS-DOG disks
on the internal sparcstation drive.  I'm right now looking at the Sun
DOS windows product sheet, which says "You'll be able to load DOS
programs, and read and write DOS or UNIX files through standard floppy
disk drives."

Unless I and the Sun people I've talked to are mistaken about this,
it should then be fairly easy to use CrossDOS to read stuff to the
amiga.  Anyway, this thread is getting a bit off of the relevant subject
matter of comp.sys.amiga...

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (11/24/89)

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 17:44 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    Date: Wed, 22-Nov-89 01:16:25-PST
    Date: 22 Nov 89 01:59:59 GMT
    From: Toivo Pedaste <toivo%uniwa.uwa.OZ@uunet.UU.NET>

    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

    >I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
    >SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read
    >them though, so you might be able to transfer files from Amiga to SPARCStation,
    >but not the other way around.

    I've had no problem with writing 720k disks on a SPARCstation for reading
    on the amiga. I did originally format them on the amiga.
    --
	    Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz

So, how did you do it? Could you outline the process, software used,
etc. ?  Did you go the MS-DOS route or write straight to an
amiga-formatted (880K) disk?  What sw did you use on the sparcstation
end of things?

Thanks!

myb100@csc.anu.oz (11/25/89)

In article <4732@nigel.udel.EDU>, "kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:

>     lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>
>     >I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
>     >SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read
>     >them though, so you might be able to transfer files from Amiga to SPARCStation,
>     >but not the other way around.
>
>     I've had no problem with writing 720k disks on a SPARCstation for reading
>     on the amiga. I did originally format them on the amiga.
>     --
> 	    Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz
>
> So, how did you do it? Could you outline the process, software used,
> etc. ?  Did you go the MS-DOS route or write straight to an
> amiga-formatted (880K) disk?  What sw did you use on the sparcstation
> end of things?
>
> Thanks!
>
> monty
> kosma@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com

Now I can answer this question. Thank you to Toivo for the info, and I've just
spent a few happy hours sneaking through FTPland :-)

On the SPARCstation you need MTOOLS, which allows you to write MSDOS disks on
the internal drive - it allows you to choose any of the standard MSDOS
formats, one of which is DS/DD 720k 3.5in disks.

	where: look in usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume11/mtools on
               xanth.cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1] - two files.

On the Amiga you need:
	PCUtils (on your Extras disk), and PCpatch. The latter will allow
         you to modify PCutils to work on 3.5inch disks rather than 5.25in.
        In particular you want to modify PCformat which formats the disk to
         720k, 80 track, 9sectors.

	where: look in usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume89/util again
               on xanth.cs.odu.edu for pcpatch2.uu1.Z
               (which is compressed, shar'ed, uuencoded and zoo'ed. whew !)

	and also you need the CrossDOS demo which allows you to read MSDOS
         disks in your internal drive.

	where: Fish disk 240, I got it from etana.tut.fi [218.214.1.1] in
          amiga/fish/ff240 - one file, just zoo'ed. (Actually xanth might
           have it too, but the link to xanth was flakey and slow so I
           tried etana)

So all you need to do is format a 3.5 inch disk with PCformat, write
whatever you want on it on the SPARCstation with MTools and read it on
your Amiga with CrossDOS - even works for binaries.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this yet, I only just got the files.

Thanks again to Toivo. Now a quick question in return: According to the
documentation that comes with MTOOLS, you can modify the (provided) source
to write *any* type of DOS disk, provided you have the useful info on how
the disk is structured. Strikes me that all some kind soul needs to do
(not me - too busy FTPing animations all the time :-) ) is to
modify the format file to write AmigaDOS disks directly !
     What is needed is the following (I think)

	FAT#1 (whatever that is)
	FAT#2 (ditto)
	fat_length (hmmm....)
	DIR (sector number where directory sits)
	dir_length (and how long it is)
        cluster_size (?)
	number_of_clusters (?)

Disclaimer#2: I'm not a DOS guru - life could be much more complicated -
 I can mail the MTOOLS documentation to anybody who wants it or post it here.

Thank you for reading this far, sorry about the length.

Markus Buchhorn
Mt Stromlo Observatory, Canberra, Australia
markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (12/01/89)

In article <1058.256ea432@csc.anu.oz> myb100@csc.anu.oz writes:
>Thanks again to Toivo. Now a quick question in return: According to the
>documentation that comes with MTOOLS, you can modify the (provided) source
>to write *any* type of DOS disk, provided you have the useful info on how
>the disk is structured. Strikes me that all some kind soul needs to do
>(not me - too busy FTPing animations all the time :-) ) is to
>modify the format file to write AmigaDOS disks directly !

It really should have said "any MS-DOS compatible disk", not "any DOS".

>     What is needed is the following (I think)
>	FAT#1 (whatever that is)
>	FAT#2 (ditto)
>	fat_length (hmmm....)

AmigaDOS does not have a FAT.  (A bitmap is not the same as a FAT chain.)

>       cluster_size (?)
>	number_of_clusters (?)

AmigaDOS does not use clusters.

>	DIR (sector number where directory sits)
>	dir_length (and how long it is)

It's one block in the middle of the disk, 72 words long.

Question: How does AmigaDOS put all those big long file names into 1 block?
Answer: It uses hash chains instead of a linear search.
Question: What??
Answer: Instead of having the names in the directory, it has pointers to
	other blocks which have the names and pointers to more blocks.
Question: What good is that?
Answer: Check comp.sys.amiga.tech - there were several articles on this
	subject during the week of November 27th.
Question: Does that mean the directory handling routines in MTOOLS would
	have to be rewritten from scratch?
Answer: Yep

Also, AmigaDOS puts 880K on a floppy on the same floppy that MS-DOS can only
put 720K onto.  Instead of using 9 sectors per track and leaving nice
inter-sector gaps that the floppy controller needs to be able to rewrite a
single sector without disturbing the other sectors, the Amiga uses basically
one sector per track with 11 logical blocks.  Not only that, but the start
of this giant sector does not always match up with the beginning of the
track.

Most floppy disk controller chips get extremely upset at the AmigaDOS format.
I suppose the Sparcstation could process this data if the CPU gave 100% of its
attention to reading/writing the raw data bits.  The Amiga has its custom
chips to do that sort of dirtywork without burdening the CPU.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Net Tech Serv | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

tom@.UUCP (Tom van Peer) (12/05/89)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>In <4120@nigel.udel.EDU>, "kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
[ some stuff deleted ]

>I'd have to check to make sure, but I _think_ the internal floppy drive on the
>SPARCStation is incapable of writing 720K diskettes. I believe it will read

I think it is capable.  If you use Double Density diskettes you will get an
error (after a while !) with format because it tries to format as High Density.
But if you use the -L option it will format as Double Density.  So at least you
can get the format right.  I don't know about actually writing to the diskettes.
tar is not a problem but I am not sure about the DOS emulator since I never
used it.

--
Tom van Peer.
Parallel Computin, Amsterdam.

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (12/18/89)

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 15:05 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    Date: Sat, 25-Nov-89 01:10:22-PST
    Date: 25 Nov 89 14:39:46 GMT
    From: myb100%csc.anu.OZ@uunet.UU.NET

    Now I can answer this question. Thank you to Toivo for the info, and I've just
    spent a few happy hours sneaking through FTPland :-)

    On the SPARCstation you need MTOOLS, which allows you to write MSDOS disks on
    the internal drive - it allows you to choose any of the standard MSDOS
    formats, one of which is DS/DD 720k 3.5in disks.

	    where: look in usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume11/mtools on
		   xanth.cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1] - two files.

[etc. deleted]

okay, I'm back from my honeymoon and ready to continue this discussion I
started...I got MTOOLS also, but found that it requires something in
/dev (I think...I haven't looked at unix in >3 years) which is basically
a device driver for the 3.5" floppy.  looking on the sparcstation, it
doesn't seem as if I have the right file that MTOOLS is looking for.
Any ideas?  Has anybody got this (MTOOLS) to work yet?  What do I need
to do to at least find out whether or not I have the right device driver
for the drive?