[comp.sys.amiga] ST/Amiga Emulation

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (11/29/89)

In article <128510@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis)
writes:
> In article <4120@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> > Maybe no one thinks there would be any interest, but from what I have
> > heard the music software for the ST is far superior to likewise existing
> > on the Amiga (of course you'd need to wire up a MIDI interface).
>
> This is also incorrect, to the extent that Notator(sp?) exists for the ST and
> there is no comparable system for the Amiga, the availability of sequencers
> is nearly identical (with the exception that you can't get Music-X for an
> ST). That is because it is generally only worth writing something to sell
> into _both_ markets, at least that way it is almost the size of the Mac
> market.

You're  obviously  very  misled since there is a lot of MIDI software on
the ST that is not available on the Amiga.   Realtime  from  Intelligent
Music  and  The Steinberg-Jones 24track Sequencer are two big ones I can
think of.  There are very few MIDI applications on the  Amiga,  come  to
think of it.  Serious ones, in any case (Sonix is NOT serious)...

--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (11/30/89)

In article <419500013@I5000.Prime.COM>, GARYM@I5000.Prime.COM writes:
> Don't be foolish, the Amiga MIDI library is pretty extensive.
>
> Just to name a few "serious" ones...
>

> 1. Texture
> 2. KCS      - Keyboard controlled Studio
> 3. MRS      - MIDI Recording Studio
> 4. Soundscape Pro MIDI Studio
>
> That's 4 pretty sharp looking MIDI packages, Im sure there are alot
> more on the market given that I can name 4 off the top of my head!

I'm not being foolish. The four programs you mention, plus Music-X  from
Micro  Illusions  are the only big MIDI packages available on the Amiga.
Oh... and M from Intelligent Music.

That's a very very small amount compared to the Mac MIDI library or  the
Atari ST MIDI library. Or even the IBM MIDI library for that matter.

I'm  not knocking the Amy... I love my A500. I'm an ex-ST owner (3 years
of hell :) and an electronic musician. I'm pretty dissappointed with the
amount and quality of music software on the Amy.
--

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (12/01/89)

In article <2209@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:
>I'm not being foolish. The four programs you mention, plus Music-X  from
>Micro  Illusions  are the only big MIDI packages available on the Amiga.
>Oh... and M from Intelligent Music.

	...and Master Tracks Pro from Passport, and MIDI Magic from Circum
Design, Inc., and Music Mouse from Opcode, and Dynamic Studio from New
Wave.  Plus a host of patch librarians and editors.  Also, Dr. T and
Passport intend to have Amiga version of all of their programs.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/01/89)

In article <3457@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> 	...and Master Tracks Pro from Passport, and MIDI Magic from Circum
> Design, Inc., and Music Mouse from Opcode, and Dynamic Studio from New
> Wave.  Plus a host of patch librarians and editors.  Also, Dr. T and
> Passport intend to have Amiga version of all of their programs.

Master  Tracks Pro stinks, MIDI magic I haven't heard of, Music Mouse is
practically just an accessory, Dynamic  Studio  is  a  joke  too...  I'm
talking about quality software.

Once again, I'm not knocking the Amiga. I love it. But it could use more
MIDI support.
--

georgeh@cognos.UUCP (George Hagilaris) (12/03/89)

In article <419500013@I5000.Prime.COM> GARYM@I5000.Prime.COM writes:

>Don't be foolish, the Amiga MIDI library is pretty extensive.
>
>Just to name a few "serious" ones...
>

>1. Texture
>2. KCS      - Keyboard controlled Studio
>3. MRS      - MIDI Recording Studio
>4. Soundscape Pro MIDI Studio
>
>That's 4 pretty sharp looking MIDI packages, Im sure there are alot
>more on the market given that I can name 4 off the top of my head!

Hmmm.  So far, KCS is the only really "serious" MIDI sequencer I've seen
for the Amiga.  I've heard some good things about MusicX, so I guess that
would be another one.  I've tried out Soundscape, and wasn't very impressed
with it at all.  The version I tried out was 1.4, so maybe they've improved it
since then.  If MRS is the one I think it is (I saw it once in a computer
store, so I'm not sure if this is the one), I wasn't all that impressed with
it either.  I've never seen Texture, so I can't comment on it.

I hate to admit it, but I don't think the Amiga's library of serious MIDI
software is very extensive (yet!).

If someone can prove me wrong, please do it! :-)
--
                                                    _  _   _        _   _
George Hagilaris                                   /  / \ / _ |\ | / \ |_

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/04/89)

:
:Master  Tracks Pro stinks, MIDI magic I haven't heard of, Music Mouse is
:practically just an accessory, Dynamic  Studio  is  a  joke  too...  I'm
:talking about quality software.
:
:Once again, I'm not knocking the Amiga. I love it. But it could use more
:MIDI support.
:--
:Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
:Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a
:Brave | IB...M             I do think it's good...             |Slave

Unfortunately, (coming from a professional studio environment) I would
tend to agree with Jules.  Until you've used something like Notator on the
ST, you've not really experienced form and function in MIDI software.
C-LAB (the creators of Notator) have done things on the ST that no MIDI
software writers have done yet on the Amiga.  They really pushed that
cheap box to the limits, and then some.

Rather than just flinging names about, I suggest everyone interested in midi
take Notator for a spin and then get on Amiga developer's cases about not
pushing the Amiga to it's limits.  We need better written software and
not just blind reliance on the Amiga's special hardware features.

Joel Swan

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/04/89)

I just want to point out that  I  think  Music-X  is  one  of  the  best
sequencers  I've  worked  with.  It makes me very happy that the Amy has
such quality MIDI software. However, the list of  ST  MIDI  software  is
much much bigger (I'll dig out my computers issue of Electronic Musician
if you insist) than most of the people who responded to my posts  claim.
I  really  don't care. I want more MIDI support for the Amy. Period. I'm
not saying one system is better than another.

Check this out:

From: cmcmanis@sparky.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis)
> You could at least do me the favor of reading what I wrote before popping
> off some half baked message. I wasn't attacking your precious ST and
> frankly I don't give a damn which system you own or support. However,

Chuck, I stopped reading your message here...

--

me300234@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B III) (12/05/89)

In article <2205@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:

>You're  obviously  very  misled since there is a lot of MIDI software on
>the ST that is not available on the Amiga.   Realtime  from  Intelligent
>Music  and  The Steinberg-Jones 24track Sequencer are two big ones I can
>think of.  There are very few MIDI applications on the  Amiga,  come  to
>think of it.  Serious ones, in any case (Sonix is NOT serious)...
>
>--
>Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
>Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a
>Brave | IB...M             I do think it's good...             |Slave

Just to name a few serious ones...  Music-X (MicroIllusions)
Synthia Professional (The other Guys), Dr. T's KCS level II,III
M Intelligent Music, Passport Master Tracks

All of these are excellent and some (like Synthia pro) offer things that aren't
 available on Atari's.

--John Stelly

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (12/05/89)

   You're  obviously  very  misled since there is a lot of MIDI software on
   the ST that is not available on the Amiga.   Realtime  from  Intelligent
   Music  and  The Steinberg-Jones 24track Sequencer are two big ones I can
   think of.  There are very few MIDI applications on the  Amiga,  come  to
   think of it.  Serious ones, in any case (Sonix is NOT serious)...

Yeah, yeah, and there are plenty of MIDI programs on the Amiga that
you can't get on the ST (I won't even talk about the Mac's plethora of
software right now). Look. I know a fellow right here in Troy who's
been doing work on porting RealTime. Since I don't have a MIDI
interface right now, I haven't paid much attention but I'm under the
impression that it's either out or will be RSN. But regardless of that
one software package's availability.... nearly every commercial MIDI
program that I've seen that's available for more than one variety of
computer is available for the Amiga as well as the ST and Mac. In
fact, there's at least as much commercial MIDI stuff out there for the
Ami as there is for the Pee Cee, if not more.

PD stuff, I dunno about. Haven't looked yet. I know there's a DX patch
librarian out there, and that's what I'm interested in....

--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

Albums I would rather listen to than Pink Floyd's "The Wall": Madonna,
"Like a Virgin"; Tiffany, "Tiffany"; George Michael, "Faith"; The
Partridge Family Sings; Eno and Fripp "Evening Star"; any Debbie
Gibson album, the list goes on and on....

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/06/89)

In article <+K_|C%@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> Yeah, yeah, and there are plenty of MIDI programs on the Amiga that
> you can't get on the ST (I won't even talk about the Mac's plethora of
> software right now). Look. I know a fellow right here in Troy who's
> been doing work on porting RealTime. Since I don't have a MIDI
> interface right now, I haven't paid much attention but I'm under the
> impression that it's either out or will be RSN. But regardless of that
> one software package's availability.... nearly every commercial MIDI
> program that I've seen that's available for more than one variety of
> computer is available for the Amiga as well as the ST and Mac. In
> fact, there's at least as much commercial MIDI stuff out there for the
> Ami as there is for the Pee Cee, if not more.

Just  give  me  a  break.  All  I  want  is  just to see more MIDI Amiga
software. There isn't enough of it. I know, because I use it every  day.
Please,  I  don't  want to hear any more. I want to generate interest in
more MIDI software and you and that Chuck dude just keep getting  on  my
case.  If  you  really want, I'll post the list of ST MIDI software from
Electronic Musician (It's really, really long) and you can sit there and
try to prove to me that the Amiga has a comparable amount.

--

GARYM%i5000.prime.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

Don't be foolish, the Amiga MIDI library is pretty extensive.

Just to name a few "serious" ones...

1. Texture
2. KCS      - Keyboard controlled Studio
3. MRS      - MIDI Recording Studio
4. Soundscape Pro MIDI Studio

That's 4 pretty sharp looking MIDI packages, Im sure there are alot
more on the market given that I can name 4 off the top of my head!

+---------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------------+
|Gary MacDougall      | | The opinions expressed here are in no way connected |
|Prime Computer Inc.  | | with my employer, unless of course the're good      |
|Oracle Development   | | enough get me a healthy raise...                    |
|Framingham, Ma 01701 | |                                                     |
+---------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------------+

jac423%leah.albany.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/89)

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (12/07/89)

In article <2240@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:
>In article <+K_|C%@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
[ how much MIDI stuff is available for platforms deleted ]

>Just  give  me  a  break.  All  I  want  is  just to see more MIDI Amiga
>software. There isn't enough of it. I know, because I use it every  day.
>Please,  I  don't  want to hear any more. I want to generate interest in
>more MIDI software and you and that Chuck dude just keep getting  on  my
>case.  If  you  really want, I'll post the list of ST MIDI software from
>Electronic Musician (It's really, really long) and you can sit there and
>try to prove to me that the Amiga has a comparable amount.

Does it really matter how much MIDI software there is?  Shouldn't the quality
and abilities of the available software be the important factor here.
This argument does just apply to MIDI software but all software.

How many C compilers do you need?  The two for the amiga seem to be as good
as the multitudes on other platforms.

Steve
-----
stevem@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (12/13/89)

The music software really does suck on the Amiga.  I have been dismayed that
nothing has come out since Sonix 2.0 and Deluxe Music that allows you to
really CRANK your sound chips.  If we could have a program with the
functionality of Sonix 2.0 and the power of Deluxe Music that uses a
STANDARD DOCUMENTED FORMAT, then, THEN, we would would have a decent music
program.

Also, the Mac can do six or eight voices with some slick programming in
Studio Session, why can't the Amiga do 24 or 32?  Has anyone even bothered
to try this? (whatever it is)

dan@shumv1.uucp (Daniel Heath) (12/13/89)

>I hate to admit it, but I don't think the Amiga's library of serious MIDI
>software is very extensive (yet!).
>
>If someone can prove me wrong, please do it! :-)
>--
>                                                    _  _   _        _   _
>George Hagilaris                                   /  / \ / _ |\ | / \ |_
>UUCP: uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!georgeh               \_ \_/ \_| | \| \_/  _|  INC.

Okay, The Amiga now has:

        1. Dr. T's KCS
        2. Dr. T's KCS Level II
        3. Music-X
        4. Master Tracks Pro
        5. About 10 million ed/lib
        6. Other nice utilities (such as Dr. T's TIGER, a graphic MIDI editor)

I think this is enough software to consider the Amiga as a serious MIDI
computer.

                                                       Dan Heath
                                                       dan@shumv1.ncsu.edu

jon@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jonathan R Deutsch) (12/14/89)

Dan Heath <dan@shumv1.ncsu.edu> writes:

>Okay, The Amiga now has:
>
>        1. Dr. T's KCS
>        2. Dr. T's KCS Level II
>        3. Music-X
>        4. Master Tracks Pro
>        5. About 10 million ed/lib
>        6. Other nice utilities (such as Dr. T's TIGER, a graphic MIDI editor)
>
>I think this is enough software to consider the Amiga as a serious MIDI
>computer.

    Thanx Dan!  But, you forgot to include:

         7. Dynamic Studio (w/BUILT-IN Graphic editing - VERY convenient!)
         8. M (not a sequencer, but a very powerful MIDI utility)
         9. And I heard that Texture was out- though I haven't seen it yet.

    A couple of months ago, I talked to a rep. from Dr. T's - He says that
    Amiga sales are doing very well hence their decision to release their
    entire line of products for it!  Obviously SOMEONE thinks the AMIGA
    can handle it.

    Overall, I think the ST is probably the better computer for MIDI                applications due to the fact that it is so highly supported.
    BUT, that does NOT mean that I'd buy an ST.  I believe a good computer
    has a well-rounded scope of software -the Amiga has this quality.
    So, whereas the Amiga has less MIDI software, it has much more of everything    else, so, I bought an Amiga and, for MIDI purposes, it is absolutely fine.

                                                           -Jon Deutsch
                                             INTERNET <jon@vax1.acs.udel.edu>
                                               BITNET <HUJ10517@UDACSVM.BITNET>

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec13.070509.2924@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, dan@shumv1.uucp (Daniel Heath) writes:
> Okay, The Amiga now has:
>
>         1. Dr. T's KCS
>         2. Dr. T's KCS Level II

Both have very poor interfaces.

>         3. Music-X

This program is excellent.

>         4. Master Tracks Pro

Rediculously primitive.

>         5. About 10 million ed/lib

2 or 3 of which are any good.

>         6. Other nice utilities (such as Dr. T's TIGER, a graphic MIDI editor)

Don't forget M.

> I think this is enough software to consider the Amiga as a serious MIDI
> computer.

No it's not! The Amiga *IS* a serious MIDI computer,  but  I  want  more
software! How can you be satisfied with the above?

--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a
Brave | IB...M             I do think it's good...             |Slave

kim@watnow.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (12/18/89)

I spoke to a (knowledgeable) MIDI composer/salesman yesterday and he
told me that Steinberg Pro 24 is coming out for the Amiga.  A friend
who now uses Atari's Creator/Notator WAS using Pro 24 (also on the
Atari) before, and says that for some things Pro 24 is better than
Creator/Notator.  All in all, Pro 24 is more than good (he says) (and
I believe him -- I think he used it for his live (2-hr) Metropolis
soundtrack performance (his own stuff)).
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watsup.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
					        kim@watsup.uwaterloo.ca