[comp.sys.amiga] PAL on NSTC

costello@eplrx7.uucp (Tim Costello) (12/14/89)

	I should have paid attention....

	Recently there has been a discussion of switchable PAL vs NSTC
capabilities in the latest 2000s.  Or was it with the new Agnes or Denise?
Sorry, I didn't really pay attention at the time.

	Anyway, someone asked me it there is a software or hardware method
for displaying PAL graphics on US machines.  What is the net wisdom?

Thanks.
--
Tim Costello
Du Pont

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (12/18/89)

> I should have paid attention....
>
> Recently there has been a discussion of switchable PAL vs NSTC
> capabilities in the latest 2000s.  Or was it with the new Agnes or Denise?
> Sorry, I didn't really pay attention at the time.
>
> Anyway, someone asked me it there is a software or hardware method
> for displaying PAL graphics on US machines.  What is the net wisdom?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Tim Costello
> Du Pont
> Medical Products
> ...!uunet!eplrx7!costello

The current methods available (that I know about) is basically MOREROWS, which
is a software product which basically gives you the added rows on your screen.
I don't know that this is PAL however.

On new 2000's and if you upgrade to the new Fatter Agnus chip you can connect
a switch between the pins of jumper J102 and just toggle the switch to either
open or close the jumper resulting in NTSC or PAL depending on which position
the switch is in.  This operation (switching the switch) MUST be done WITH THE
POWER OFF or you will probably fry your Agnus as well as some other circuitry
on your motherboard.

I have the hardware switch in my Amiga (drilled a hole in the back and mounted
a toggle switch) and I have had no problems with it at all.  It works real
nice for those occaisions where you need to run a PAL demo and such.  I
imagine it would be a real boon if you had to move to Europe also.

-- Bob

PS: I use a NEC Multisync monitor with my setup.  I don't have a normal
Commodore monitor so I can't tell you if you will be able to deal with the PAL
output on your monitor or any monitor that is not a multisync.  I would think
it would work just fine but I can't tell you for sure.

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854