[comp.sys.amiga] DEMOs; DOC & NewTek

jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) (12/14/89)

I was just looking at the NewTek demo on xanth.  That rascal is (choke)
1.8 MB of zoo!!  How big is it unzooed?  How much core does it need to
run?  Is it self contained, or does it require a seperate player?

I brought DOC down so I can try it, but before I waste untold time on
trying to get it running I have the same questions here concerning
core utilization and a player device.

Thanks for your help here.

Regards, Jerry

terese@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (PONNIAH) (12/15/89)

The Newtek demo is all self contained and runs on 1 meg machines.  It is
extremely well put together ( the first disk has < 3K free!!! ). It is
very nice for its size, although I would have prefered something spread
over 3-4 disks rather than trying to compress to 1.  It has a demonstration
of dynamic hi-res ( 4096 colors at 7-- x 5-- ), and I must say that this
computer of ours is truly phenominal. The picture is amazing.

DOC is not really worth your time. BTW: thanks to TAD for the wonderful
job he is doing in stocking xanth wil goodies!!!

Stefy LePew Wefy

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/16/89)

In article <8912141401.AA06388@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
> I was just looking at the NewTek demo on xanth.  That rascal is (choke)
> 1.8 MB of zoo!!  How big is it unzooed?  How much core does it need to
> run?  Is it self contained, or does it require a seperate player?

Full-disk demos are stored as zoo's of warps (zoo is being used here
to bundle the files more than to compress them -- warps are pretty
tight already):

Archive newtek-1.zoo:
Length    CF  Size Now  Date      Time
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
  792260   0%   792260   4 Dec 89 15:42:12     NEWTEK1.WRP
  872220   0%   872220   4 Dec 89 16:09:28     NEWTEK2.WRP
   22728  28%    16256  26 Nov 89 21:42:32     Warp
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
 1687208   0%  1680736     3 files

Archive newtek-3.zoo:
Length    CF  Size Now  Date      Time
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
  778880   0%   778880  14 Dec 89 13:41:00     NEWTEK1.WRP
  807584   0%   807584  14 Dec 89 14:11:28     NEWTEK2.WRP
   15188  18%    12482  14 Dec 89 14:17:38     UnWarp
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
 1601652   0%  1598946     3 files

(I didn't have UnWarp when I built newtek-1.zoo...)

So, both are complete two-disk demos -- everything is included.
I don't know how much memory they take -- you do need two disks, though.
They both run fine on my A1000 with 2.5M.

> I brought DOC down so I can try it, but before I waste untold time on
> trying to get it running I have the same questions here concerning
> core utilization and a player device.

All the eurpean cracker demos I've got so far are either
self-contained disks (which are/will be warped) or normal executable
files.  All are standalone -- no players needed.  Doc is of the normal
executable type:

Archive doc.zoo:
Length    CF  Size Now  Date      Time
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
  131060   0%   131060  21 Jun 88 19:20:24     doc
     154  11%      137  16 Jan 80 04:10:18     readme
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
  131214   0%   131197     2 files

If you haven't done so already, you might want to try bringing up Zoo
on your machine (I see STL-06SIMA runs UNIX)...

	...tad

kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu (K.X. Saunders) (12/16/89)

Hi,
	I was stunned by the Dynamic Hires images in NewTek DemoReel3.
Even my roommate, who is a die-hard PC-weenie ('386 AST, VGA, etc) was
quite impressed (QUOTE: "I've seen worse looking photographs").  Does
anyone have a viewer and images?

	Thanks,

Just how large a system do these demos require?  Modem users just
hate to download 5 Megabytes of software to find that none of it
will run in their systems.  Does anyone know?  Looking at the
zoo files while they are still on the mainframe is no good, everything
is WARP'ed...

Dave Buchthal

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/18/89)

In article <5815@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> Just how large a system do these demos require?  Modem users just
> hate to download 5 Megabytes of software to find that none of it
> will run in their systems.

	The NewTek Demo Reel 3 runs on my Amy 1000 with 1.5MB if that helps.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (12/18/89)

In article <869.258bffcb@dayton.saic.com> fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>In article <5815@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>> Just how large a system do these demos require?  Modem users just
>> hate to download 5 Megabytes of software to find that none of it
>> will run in their systems.
>
>	The NewTek Demo Reel 3 runs on my Amy 1000 with 1.5MB if that helps.

       It also works on my 1 MEG A500 when I booted from the first disk.

>--
>Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
>           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
>Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

Marc Siskin,  Computer Person at Large for the Language Lab U of Michigan
Msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu
USERHEBE@umichub