[comp.sys.amiga] Newtek-3 from single floppy or HD

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (12/17/89)

      I have a 2000 with 1 floppy and a HD.  I just downloaded the 3rd
NewTek demo after ftp'ing it from Xanth, and has discovered that, like the
previous one, it pretty much expects both disks to be inserted at the same
time.  To get around this I've copied both disks to dh1:newtek3 and assigned
the names of the two disks to that directory.  When I run the demo, it
prints the opening screen, up to where the Newtek logo is printed, and then
goes right back to the workbench screen and stops (which, by the way, is
a lot farther than it gets when I try to run it from a floppy and switch
diskds constantly...)
	  I tried executing the MoveDemoReel3 script, but it kept telling me
that the directory I was specifying didn't exist.
	  Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can go about seeing
this thing short of having to take it to a friend's house?  I plan on
getting another floppy drive as soon as I have the money, but I'd rather
not wait that long to be able to show off this demo...

--
  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/18/89)

In article <5342@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>       I have a 2000 with 1 floppy and a HD.  I just downloaded the 3rd
					  ^^^ This helps alot

> time.  To get around this I've copied both disks to dh1:newtek3 and assigned
> the names of the two disks to that directory.  When I run the demo, it

	I just did this sort of thing for a friend.  First I made a directory
on the harddisk called NewTek.  Then two seperate subdirectories under that
called DemoReel3 and DemoReelData.  Second, copy the contents of Reel 1 to
DemoReel3 and copy the contents of the data disk to DemoReelData.  Now the
important step.  Assign DemoReel3: DH0:DemoReel3:  and Assign DemoReelData:
DH0:DemoReelData.  You may want to put a directory type icon in the DH0:
directory for the DemoReel3 subdirectory.  Now using workbench, open the icon
for the DemoReel3 directory and click on the icon.  Make sure that neither on
the two disks are in the floppy or the assign will NOT work!  Enjoy.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (12/18/89)

     Well, I tried installing it on dh1: and naming its directories the same
as the two disks, but it still didn't work.  Apparently the main reason for
this was the fact that having both dh0: and dh1: mounted (as well as running
qmouse and virusx at the time) took too much memory.  I had to move it to
dh0:, and make a temporary bare-minimum startup-sequence (without mounting
anything besides dh0: and df0:, which auto-mount) to preserve enough memory
to run the demo.
	 It pretty much works now (have to switch startup-sequences to do it
though), but it often skips pictures or shows part of a picture on the
wrong screen!