Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 09:39 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Multiple RAD:'s
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    Date: Mon, 11-Dec-89 07:11:58-PST
    Date: 11 Dec 89 05:42:09 GMT
    From: Bill Cavanaugh <uunet!tronsbox!bleys>

    I recently tried to make multiple rad:'s.  I copied the ramdrive.device to a
    new file, made the appropriate (name) changes using newzap, and copied the
    entry in the mountlist, making the name changes as neccessary.  When I mount
    the second device, I don't get any problems reported, and when I use Assign,
    it's there, but when I try to access it, I get told that it's not there.
    Any ideas?

    Bill

I've had the same problem and *still* haven't got it to work.  The only
difference between what I did and what's in the "introduction to
comp.sys.amiga" posting is that my two rad 's are different sizes.
Would that cause a problem??

monty
kosma@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com

adam@cbmcats.UUCP (Adam Keith Levin) (12/19/89)

I have not seen the instructions posted in the "into to comp.sys.amiga",
so I can't comment on what may be wrong.  Here are directions that I
wrote about a year ago for creating multiple RAD drives.
Be warned that all of these kludges probably won't work (and probably
won't be needed) under version 1.4.

Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS     Commodore Applications and Technical Support
1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA  19380                  (215) 431-9180
BIX: aklevin             UUCP: ...{amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!cbmcats!adam

Unfortunately, RAD's ramdrive.device is hard-coded as having the volume name
"RAMB0".  One cannot create multiple RADs by simply changing the MountList.

To create multiple RAD devices:

READ ME FIRST:
   Byte-offsets are counted starting from 0, the first byte of the file.
   Both byte-offsets are for v1.0 of the ramdrive.device, created 6-Apr-88.

   The letter 'X' is used below as a place-holder for a unique character to
   differentiate the multiple RAD devices.  If you are creating a first
   duplicate RAD, I suggest you substitute '1'; if creating a second
   duplicate RAD, substitute '2', etc.

1.
   Edit devs:MountList and duplicate the original RAD: parameters.
   Change the name of the duplicate; for example, from "RAD:" to "RADX:".
   Change the "Device = ramdrive.device" line to "Device = ramdrivX.device"
   Only the original RAD should be allowed to autoboot.  Add the following
   line to the new entry to keep it from autobooting:
   BootPri = -129

2.
   Copy devs:ramdrive.device to devs:ramdrivX.device
   File-zap devs:ramdrivX.device and change "ramdrive.device" to
   "ramdrivX.device" by changing byte 171 (hex) from 'e' to 'X'.
   Also change "RAMB0" to "RAMBX" by changing byte 5A1 (hex) from '0' to 'X'.

3.
   Mount RADX:.

You can do anything to this new RAD that you could to the original one.
Things like changing the HighCyl to get a different size, etc.