[comp.sys.amiga] Seagate ST-296N

jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) (12/14/89)

I would like to know about the Seagate ST-296N 80 Meg. SCSI hard drive.
If any one has any comments, good or bad, please send them to me.  I am
considering upgrading from my ST-157N to the 296N.  Has any one had any
major problems with it?  BTW, my controller is the GVP Impact (2 MB of
memory on board).  If any one knows of any problems in using the 296N
with the GVP controller, please let me know.  Thanks.

										Jon

Jonathan R. Wahlmann		Harris Corp - Broadcast Div - Quincy, IL
(W) (217) 222-8200, x3619	quintro!bpdsun1!jrw@lll-winken.llnl.gov
(H) (217) 224-6918	 		uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!jrw

umcharl3@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Mike Charlton) (12/19/89)

jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) writes:

>I would like to know about the Seagate ST-296N 80 Meg. SCSI hard drive.
>If any one has any comments, good or bad, please send them to me.  I am
>considering upgrading from my ST-157N to the 296N.  Has any one had any
>major problems with it?  BTW, my controller is the GVP Impact (2 MB of
>memory on board).  If any one knows of any problems in using the 296N
>with the GVP controller, please let me know.  Thanks.

The only thing bad about the ST-296N drive is that some of them are horribly
slow when formatted with a 1:1 interleave.  Apparently you only get a
throughput of about 50K/sec.  The "slower" 2:1 (or is that 1:2 -- I always
forget) interleave supposedly has a throughput of around 400K/sec.  (these
times are based on a message I saw on comp.sys.atarti.st (ick), so the
throughput may be different on an Amiga).  Apparently this only affects some
drives and not all (not even Seagate knows which ones...).
Incidently, the ST-277N is also supposed to have this problem.  I'm thinking
of getting the 277N, so if anyone has any info, I'd be glad to hear it.

                             Mike

P.S.  Where are you people getting enclosures for your drives (OK I know it's
not a problem for some 2000 owners, but I'm a lowly (?) 1000 owner...)?