[comp.sys.amiga] MRBackup

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (11/13/87)

Ok, I see them all the time, I am sure that you do too, the messages that
say "I need someone to repost vt100 as it didn't make it to my sight" or
"does anyone know where I can get a copy of DBWrender, in .ARC format?".

I never reply to these cause I know there are LOTS of people out there
who want to contribute and probably will be helping these people.  Only,
today the hand is on the other foot, and I need a file.  The reason that
I don't usually post, is cause I am good at finding what I need.  Today
however, I need MRbackup (the sources, executable might help).  I spent
the night last night trying to get it from asc.purdue.edu, and trantor.
umd.edu, and both seem to have the same copy, a BAD copy.  A compressed
version that I can't get uncompressed (says "Not enough memory" on my
Unix box and "Not enough free store" on my Amigados box.)

I got the original posting that said 1.3, but it never ran, and someone
told me that I had missed the posting that said that was the wrong
version that he had released.

Actually, I could probably just use the wrong sources as I am just
writting my own Hard Disk backup program and might be able canabolize
some of the functions.

The program is a rip-off of the commercial Mac program DiskFit that I
plan to release to the public domain (after the 10 years it takes me
to finish to my satisfaction).  Anyone know the legality of releasing
someone elses look and feel on another machine into PD?  How 'bout a
good name for such a program?  Don't want to call it DiskFit...
FitDisk?  SafeDisk?  I currently call it Hard Disk Backup or hdb for
short.  I love issuing the command 'sdb hdb' (thanks roboJim, saved
my programming butt several times so far).

Thanks for the attention...
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (11/15/87)

In article <5875@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris () writes:
 >however, I need MRbackup (the sources, executable might help).  I spent
 >the night last night trying to get it from asc.purdue.edu, and trantor.
 >umd.edu, and both seem to have the same copy, a BAD copy.  A compressed
 >version that I can't get uncompressed (says "Not enough memory" on my
 >Unix box and "Not enough free store" on my Amigados box.)

   The "not enough memory" error was probably "caused" by it being a 16-bit
compression.  I have redone it for 12-bit compress so you should be able to
uncompress it now.  I also checked the copy.. there was nothing "bad" about
it except that it used 16-bit compression.
   In the future, we intend to be keeping everything as 12-bit compress.

   If you still have problems, or encounter any others, let me know and I'll
send you an uncompressed copy if necessary.

 >I got the original posting that said 1.3, but it never ran, and someone
 >told me that I had missed the posting that said that was the wrong
 >version that he had released.

   Since this was when Doc was still moderating, we have no idea of whether
this is the wrong version or not.  We will check with the author and get
the correct version if necessary.

   If anyone ever has any problems with the archives, let us know and we
will correct them.

-- Pat White   (co-moderator comp.sources/binaries.amiga)
UUCP: k.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM   PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (12/19/89)

I have found that version 3.3d of MRBackup on Fish Disk 270 has problems:
	Can't handle files greater than 64K bytes if compression is off.
	Sometimes compression goes wacko and fills up the floppy with garbage.
	Crashes too often.

This is the response I got from the author:
  From: mrr@amanpt1.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret)
  To: jms@tymix.tymnet.com
  Subject: MRBackup

  Sorry you're just finding this, Joe. That problem is well known. I sent a
  patch out over Usenet shortly after 3.3d appeared, but apparently you
  missed it.  MRBackup V3.3e just came out on the latest batch of Fish disks
  and I sent V3.3f to Bob Page not long ago. If you can't wait and
  would like me to email you a copy, just say the word.
  # Mark R. Rinfret            mrr@amanpt1.Newport.RI.US
  # HyperView Systems Corp.    Hypermedia Solutions for Documentation/Training
  # 28 Jacome Way              Work: 401-849-9390 x301
  # Middletown, RI 02840       Home: 401-846-7639

The contents of Fish Disk #279 says it has MRBackup version 3.3e, which fixes
some serious bugs in version 3.3e which is ondisk #270.

Has anyone had better look with the newer version?
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms