[comp.sys.amiga] [Am,UN,...]IX SYSVR4

victor@dean.Berkeley.EDU (Victor Brueggemann) (12/19/89)

Despite all the talk about SYSVR4 and other flavors of UNIX that will be
available RSN, I have yet to hear anything about the price. Can it be had
for less than $2,000? Is it planned only for the 2500UX, and/or the
3000/3001 equivilants, or will 500/1000 owners have to go without?
This is, of course, assuming that it ever IS released. From what's been said
here, it seems like SYSVR3.2 has been running on Amigas for a while now, and
before anything is done with it everyone has started on R4. Will R4 be
released before people start on SYSVR5.x (or <gasp> SYS6)?

I want my UNIX, and I want it SOON if not NOW.

Also, if it's only going to be available for developers, etc. it's not much
good to anyone. Why develop something that won't be used? Why use something
that has limited development? Let's have it released on time for less than
the cost of the average American family, ok? Thanks...

".Sig's? We don't need no stinkin's .sigs..."

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/19/89)

In article <20796@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> victor@dean.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
(Victor Brueggemann) writes:
>Despite all the talk about SYSVR4 and other flavors of UNIX that will
>be available RSN, I have yet to hear anything about the price.

A price has not been set.  There was good gestimation in an article a
few days ago, though.

>Is it planned only for the 2500UX, or will 500/1000 owners have to go
>without?

Th unix machine will require an 020/030 card.

>This is, of course, assuming that it ever IS released.

-Ahem-

>From what's been said here, it seems like SYSVR3.2 has been running
>on Amigas for a while now, and before anything is done with it
>everyone has started on R4. Will R4 be released before people start
>on SYSVR5.x (or <gasp> SYS6)?
>
>I want my UNIX, and I want it SOON if not NOW.

I am sure everyone can understand your impatience.  System V Release
3.2 was almost ready to ship when we decided to jump on the Release 4
bandwagon.  I am sure, once you see the final product, you will
understand why.

Pax, Keith

Ps, for the record, it would be System V Release 4.1.
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag