[comp.sys.amiga] Manx C 5.0

rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu (W. David Rohwer) (12/16/89)

	I called Manx today and ordered the C update to 5.0 and talked to
Mona.  After I asked her when they would start shipping the update, she
answered, "by the end of December."

|   //  W. David Rohwer   //      UUCP    : {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!rohwerwd |
| \X/       Go A's!     \X/       Internet: rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu          |

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Moster) (12/17/89)

In article <1989Dec16.094755.22491@csusac.csus.edu> rohwerwd@csusac.UUCP (W. David Rohwer) writes:

>	I called Manx today and ordered the C update to 5.0 and talked to
>Mona.  After I asked her when they would start shipping the update, she
>answered, "by the end of December."

	This reminds me of a movie I once saw where all these
people were stuck on an island.  Every time they thought they were
just about to be rescued, something went wrong and, well, they'd have
to wait another few weeks.  It turned out that they had really all
died and were in hell, which consisted of continually having their
hopes built up and then dashed....

	Richard Moster

easu021@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (12/17/89)

The following is a reply to my request about Manx 5.0 on the Manx support
BBS.  Mike Spille is not only the SYSOP of the Manx BBS but also incharge
or tech support for MANX.  Bassically I complained about their upgrade
policies and asked about Manx 5.0.

Message 1778                                   DATE/TIME: 12-13-89  1:44am
From   : MIKE SPILLE (SYSOP)                -- PRIVATE --
To     : JASON GOLDBERG
Subject: Comment @ 12-13-89 12:12am
Folder : Z, "Comments to the Sysop"

I'm afraid I have to agree with you that our upgrade policies in the
past have been atrocious.  However, for the past 6-months or so we've
been in the process of revamping our customer database (as well as the
general update procedures).  In the future you should receive regular
update notices w/out a problem.

If you have a problem where you believe you are due an update (you
implied that you had paid for a year of upgrades and never got any),
then you should definitely call our update dept. and complain.  Their
number is (201) 389-0290.

The two major benefits of upgrading to our 5.0 version, in my opinion,
would be ANSI compatibility and improved performance.  If you don't
think ANSI can help you, even for writing "machine-specific" code, then
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you start using an ANSI
greatly enhance compile-time error checking w/out tying the programmer
down or sacrificing performance.  And if you ever do have to port any
of your code, ANSI makes it that much easier.

The other main advantage of 5.0 is performance - both compile time and
run time.  At compile time, 5.0 is roughly 25% faster than 3.6a, even
though additional features have been added to the compiler.  This
translates into something like a 10-fold improvement over Lattice 5.04
(I'm not kidding - our beta testers have had compile times of 10
minutes for us vs. over an hour on Lattice w/ very large source files!).
In addition, many optimizations have been made to the code generated by
the compiler which make it run much faster than that made by 3.6a.
Overall, we're roughly equivalent w/ Lattice in the arena of code
generation, with our compiler doing better in some areas, and Lattice
better in others.

I don't have 'official' benchmarks at this time, since the compiler is
still officially in beta test (we don't believe in releasing benchmarks
for beta products, unlike some other amiga compiler companies...).
However, the final release is only one or two weeks away (we're really
waiting for our printer to finish the new documentation - once they
give it back to us, we'll be ready to ship), and then I'll be able to

     -Mike
Mike seems like he is being straight with me and is obviously knowlagable
about the product.  He is also sincerly interested in helping with any
Manx related problems when he can.

-Jason-

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/20/89)

In article <6298@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Moster) writes:
>In article <1989Dec16.094755.22491@csusac.csus.edu> rohwerwd@csusac.UUCP (W. David Rohwer) writes:
>>
>	This reminds me of a movie I once saw where all these
>people were stuck on an island.  Every time they thought they were
>just about to be rescued, something went wrong and, well, they'd have
>to wait another few weeks.  It turned out that they had really all

    Even Gilligan and company finally got rescued.