[comp.sys.amiga] Sleeping

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (12/20/89)

In article <14996@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>In article <12147@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) writes:
>>From article <828@wet.UUCP>, by mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett):
>>	Delay (60*n);
>               ^^------- 50 * n, please - Delay works in 50ths of a second.
>>the code was written with huge amounts of StartIO/WaitIO and other such
>>nonsense.
>
>Huge amounts of StartIO/WaitIO implies usage of timer.device, ....
 ^^^^

I don't understand.  Why "huge" amounts of StartIO()/WaitIO()?  When I
use the timer.device (for a simple delay), it usually takes just one
simple DoIO(), and about three lines of code to set it up (not
counting the CreatePort() ...  OpenDevice(), etc.)  Although I can
never remember the contents of the silly timeval structure, it always
seemed fairly simple to me.

Am I missing something, or are Mike and Gregg exaggerating for effect?

>--
>Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa

-hans

  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO