[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Support...

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (07/04/88)

In message <1196.AA1196@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP writes:
>[...] So I feel
>CBM is doing a *SUPER* job on supporting the AMIGA and your comments just don't
>hold water.

I have seen this type of back and forth about Commodore's support now a number
of times.  Perhaps we can lay it to rest (at least for a good while) by getting
someone from the right area in Commodore to respond (I see Dan isn't there
anymore, but perhaps he'll know who I mean and can get them on the 'Net
temporarily).  What I was thinking was someone from Marketing and Customer
Support to outline in several messages what Commodore has done/is doing to
make the Amiga a front-line product AND KEEP IT THERE!  Perhaps this could be
on a state-by-state or region-by-region basis so people will know where to
look personally and where to send people who want to know.  I think we have
gotten a lot of input (output?) from the TECHNICAL people at Commodore, but
often this is invisible to the non-"connected" people out there (as is most
noticeable by the number of new people on the net who need help with the "same
old problem").  A set of messages from Marketing and Customer Support might
shed a lot of light on things like dealer connections, hot-line support, book
deals to document the Amiga, big-business sales, upgrade support, package
deals for Amigas, unbundled equipment and software, capabilities to support
large (big company) sales, what the future looks like, etc. (I'm sure I left
out something).  Such a set of messages would begin to show that Commodore is
ready to move into the "big-time".  What say you, Commodore??

David Masterson				 ^-^
DMasterson@cup.portal.com		(@v@)
<Does anyone's opinions respresent	 \_/
 those of Commodore's management??>	=^=^=

farren@gethen.UUCP (07/11/88)

In article <7098@cup.portal.com> DMasterson@cup.portal.com writes:
>make the Amiga a front-line product AND KEEP IT THERE!

Face it - the Amiga is never going to be a "front-line" product in the
sense of the IBM PC or Macintosh.  We're in a niche.  Fortunately, it
seems to be a pretty healthy niche, and Commodore seems to be doing an
adequate (if not great) job of filling it.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

jeo@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Tony Hutson) (12/20/89)

     I will have to say that Commodore has spiffed up their support a bit.
 I think the millions thay have spent on advertisement is great.  However,
 I was really shocked when I tried the 1-800 number that was on one of
 their ads.  They told me of all the local Commodore representatives in my
 area, even the little "mom and pop" shops.  They also took down my name
 and address and sent me a list of other Commodore supported stores, plus
 a booklet telling all about the Amiga.  I will say that I was very
 impressed.  I was told however, by a few people at an Amiga users group
 meeting that the advertisement and this extra support will end after
 Christmas... That would really send out a negative impression to buyers.
 Has anyone else heard of this???

 ++ Tony Hutson      +++ jeo@mentor.cc.purdue.edu                       ++