[comp.sys.amiga] Irresponsible posting

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (12/20/89)

I feel like flaming violently, but I'll try not to.

The thread "Xerox sues Apple!!!" was originally posted to

>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.mac

which was fine.  The dozens of replies have become irrelevant to any of
those groups and should probably be in alt.my.computer.can.beat.yours.up
or at least alt.religion.computers.  But that's reasonably acceptable,
too.  At least it's the status quo.

What is NOT fine is when a large number of those irrelevant replies are
posted with

Why are you dumping on comp.sys.amiga?  Is the traffic not high enough?
I understand what's going on: your posting software automatically
generates a Followup-To: line specifying the first group.  Well PAY
ATTENTION.  Change it.  Change the Newsgroups: line too, while you're at
it.  We don't need a dozen misdirected followups.

Referring to:

<1923@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>	davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr)
<1924@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>	davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr)
<588@nems.dt.navy.mil>		lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon)
<10676@encore.Encore.COM>	jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy)
<1989Dec18.201328.29230@phri.nyu.edu>	roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith)
<586@nems.dt.navy.mil>		lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon)
<2878@d75.UUCP>			robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000)
<2767@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca>	king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King)
<819@mindlink.UUCP>		a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs)
<988@biar.UUCP>			trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead)

The following, which appeared in comp.sys.amiga alone due to an earlier
<14102@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies)

And this especially ironic one:

<6987@shlump.nac.dec.com> plouff@levers.enet.dec.com
  [...]
  >So Amiga says "yes" to both camps.  Now can you move the debate
  >out of the Amiga newsgroup?

Followups directed to alt.flame, where I'll never see them.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @       * *     //  belal@sco.com  ..ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino    *   \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 and XBBS +408-476-4945