[comp.sys.amiga] Xerox sues Apple

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (12/16/89)

I just read on CompuServe that Xerox has finally gotten around to suing Apple.

It's about time.

--
SR Pietrowicz    UUCP: ...!uunet!modcomp!srp      CIS: 73047,2313

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (12/16/89)

In article <196@modcomp.UUCP> srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>I just read on CompuServe that Xerox has finally gotten around to suing Apple.
>
>It's about time.

     Apple's 'Look and feel' madness is backfiring on them.... I just hope,
if xerox wins, they don't get greedy and go gunning after other GUI's we all
know & love.
	 I seem to remember Adobe & Apple having some disagreements over PostScript
not long ago, after which Apple decided to write its own version of P.S.
I wonder if Adobe can say "Look and feel"? :-)
	 Apple seems to be running into lots of problems these days...
	 Perfect time for CBM to really push into the various markets Apple
is trying to (or already has :-( ) taken from Ami.

--
  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (12/18/89)

I've been waiting a long time...I take back everything I said Xerox.
Patrick Horgan...(phorgan@cup.portal.com)

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (12/20/89)

In article <5339@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
> Apple seems to be running into lots of problems these days...  Perfect
> time for CBM to really push into the various markets Apple is trying to
> (or already has :-( ) taken from Ami.

Hmmm, well for those of us who watch the markets, and listen to the words
of the Stock-Bimbos (aka analysts) it seems that Apple is really taking it
on the chin because of two conditions :
	1) Their low end (< $2000) is taking it on the chin because they
	   don't have anything except the SE holding them up and it's losing
	   to the PC clones.
	2) Their bread and butter is their low end.

Now Apple likes to hype the Mac II and its kin, and they are high priced
and high margin products. But the danger is and has been that with all that
looking into the bright blue sky you tend to no watch where you are stepping
and it looks kinda like Apple put their foot into a cow pie.

This does give people like Commodore an opportunity to steal some market
share from Apple by offering more features for less money and a better
system overall. Now that the software base is in the thousands versus
the hundreds of packages, they are given a rare gift. Hopefully Copperman
will jump in there. Of course Commodore has been hyping the high end as
well with the 2500/20 and 2500/30. Let us hope they learn from the
problems Apple is in at the moment.

I suspect nicely packaged 1000 class machine (the mythical 1500) would
do well in this market with it's productivity mode. It will take some
effort on Commodore's part though. Send your cards and letters to Harry
and Irving.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"