[comp.sys.amiga] Starflight/PS

11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) (12/19/89)

Hello Users,

   Thanks for information about Starflight, I get so many responses
from both Usenet/I-Amiga world. Thank god, there are no flames!
I had placed an order at one of mail orders about Starflight.

   Another question.... Does anyone know any software that handler
software will handle postscript files to epson-compatible printers?
I want it badly because there are so many ps files! Also I have plt
software that will handle hpgl files to epson-compatible printers.

Thanks!!

-- Tim Stark

Timothy Stark          Bitnet: 11tstark@gallua.bitnet People/Link: T.STARK
Gallaudet University   Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu GEnie: T.STARK1
P.O. Box 1453, 800 Florida Ave., N.E., Washington, DC 20002
"Gallaudet University is the only university for the deaf in the world."

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (12/20/89)

In article <8912182350.AA20483@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) writes:

>   Another question.... Does anyone know any software that handler
>software will handle postscript files to epson-compatible printers?
>I want it badly because there are so many ps files! Also I have plt
>software that will handle hpgl files to epson-compatible printers.

There is a package that will print postscript on any preferences printer
(that can support graphics).  It is called Pixelscript, and is made by a
company called Pixelations.  It is priced - I think - at US$149.  They
have an ad in AmigaWorld.

I seems quite a competent Postscript implementation, and it supports all
of the standard operators with only a couple of very minor exceptions.
Naturally, it does not support the Adobe secret operators (eexec and so
forth), though this will only be a problem if you wish to use Adobe
fonts, or the later BitStream fonts.

Pixelscript has a very limited choice of fonts, something that is its
main failing.  There are tempora and alpine (Helvetica and Times look
alikes), as well as a couple of others that were on the disk but not
mentioned in the manual.

A word of warning, however.  It is SLOW.  A page that prints in a few
seconds on my LC-890 (16MHz 68000) takes half an hour on Pixelscript.

Despite this limitation, it is a good package and well worth the price.

Disclaimer:  I have no association with Pixelations, other than being
             a satisfied user of their products.

Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own, and are not necessarily those
             of my employer's.

Ian Farquhar
Macquarie University
Sydney, Australia.